Turn: Season One Ratings

Turn TV show on AMC ratingsLow Winter Sun was cancelled after one low-rated season, despite having the final episodes of Breaking Bad as a lead-in. How will Turn do as a lead-in to the finale season of Mad Men? Will it be a ratings success for AMC and be renewed for a second season — or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Taking place during the American Revolutionary War, Turn follows a group of friends who become spies and help turn the tide of the war. The cast includes Amy Gumenick, Angus Macfadyen, Burn Gorman, Daniel Henshall, Heather Lind, J.J. Feild, Jamie Bell, Kevin McNally, Meegan Warner, and Seth Numrich.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

6/23 update: AMC has renewed Turn for a second season.

Final season averages: 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.43 million total viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the Turn TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

Sheila Berg April 22, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thank you for an informative comment. It makes one want to research the characters in the story.

Doug April 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm

So glad Turn is back. Superb acting. Was looking up the vita’s of some of the actors and was very impressed. What I especially appreciated about the first episode of the new season was that it did not treat Arnold like some selfish jerk as text books want to make him appear. He was an immensely complex character, whom without we’d not be a country. His role in occupying the British armies of the north saved Washington from absolute destruction. Arnold was huge at Saratoga-the battle which brought the French into the war–of which Gates took complete credit (which Turn describes). Congress even printed a gold coin with Gates on it, while Arnold spent the winter in a hospital bed recovering. It is clear by his comments after being shot in the same leg as before – “In the same leg. I wish it had been my heart.” – and refusing to let his leg be amputated, that he likely wanted to die. Part of that was also probably his sacrifices in the war (the loss of his wife, his business going down hill from his absence, etc). Most would have left the war and gone home long before he did from just the personal losses alone, and no one would have blamed him. He stayed on, only to be baffled why congress refused his promotions and recognition while far less qualified people obtained both. I think he was also aghast at how Americans who supported the war effort refused to help, but instead still worked with the British from a business standpoint (the British could give you money, the Patriots could give you promises of payment later, and a lot of Patriots were angered by that). And, of course, the whole Arnold court-marshal thing, which is a story in-and-of itself. Besides severe PTSD (which would be obvious by this time of the war after so many battles and sacrifices), it appears Arnold might have developed some sort of cognitive dissonance. Just my theory–no proof of the matter (but it would have made things for Peggy Shippen much easier in her persuasion of Arnold). I’m not justifying what he did, just noting that it was a very complex host of events. Anyway, Turn seems to be giving notice of Arnold’s sacrifice, bravery, and vital contribution to the war, and the complexity of the matter, and I’m glad they are handling it that way.

LouRich April 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Nice analysis! I agree. I had no inkling of the real story behind B.A.

Sheila Berg April 21, 2015 at 3:32 pm

I am glad Turn is back. I agree with your comments.

Joanne from Setauket April 21, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I did some research on Arnold and I can understand why he did what he did. A lot of back-stabbing going on, and Arnold felt cheated. Could be that he was not liked amongst the higher ranks, but things may have turned out differently had he not become a traitor.

I researched a lot about the Culper Spies, and TURN is really not factually based. The story is very loosely based on the true story. It does capture the Patriotism, but not what really transpired amongst the real Spy Ring. The network of spies carried through to Connecticut, where there were Patriots who supported the Setauket Spy Ring. There is a book by Bernadine Fawcett called, “Missing Links of the Setauket Spy Ring.” Based on actual letters she found after her husband passed away, with correspondence from the Setauket Spies, Washington & Ben Talmadge. The Strong Family decedents are still in Setauket, Abraham Woodhull is buried in the Presbyterian Church Cemetery, across from where Patriot Rock sits where the Battle of Setauket was fought. A plaque stands to mark where the Woodhull Farm once stood, it burned down many years ago. Another plaque marks the spot where Austin Roe’s Tavern once stood, after the historical society saved the building and moved it to Stony Brook Road. My brother-in-law is a Terry descendent, Woodhull married Lydia Terry after his wife Mary Smith Woodhull passed. I feel such a strong connection to these Patriots who footsteps I’ve traced all through the Three Village area, I’m so glad that my sleepy little village is getting noticed for it’s amazing history. I just wish the TURN storyline stayed more factual.

Doug April 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm

That’s really interesting. Thank you! I need to get up there and visit the area. Also, your brother-in-law being a Terry descendant is pretty cool.

True that the story is loosely based on the real history, but at least its getting some attention to the Culper spy ring. My sister was researching Anna Strong the other day (and she normally has no interest in history). I also found Captain Simcoe’s story quite interesting. He certainly disliked the Americans, but did well in transforming the Queen’s Rangers into a disciplined light infantry (different from Roger’s informal methods, although both were successful), and he seemed well ahead of his time in race relations as proven by his actions as Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. It’s worth googling him.

Arnold’s story for me is kind of sad. From what I studied on the guy, he had a very abrasive personalty and that certainly made him unpopular, but his success also threatened the advancement of people much less talented and only interested in rank. . His final actions show the immense anger he felt inside (not just being a traitor but trying to get West Point captured by the British). But this same personality made him a very strong military commander who won fought hard – he did nothing half-hearted. None-the-less, the lack of appreciation for his immense sacrifices should not have been overlooked by congress. As one of my NCOs said “Arnold is a prefect example of how you do NOT treat a soldier.” It seems many in congress were too interested in personal power and taking care of friends and cronies (sounds like today!). I tend to think maybe his body should be returned to the US and buried in front of congress to remind them how NOT to treat fellow Americans, and the consequences and damages that can occur when they do. Anyway, in the end I wish Arnold had stayed the course. As one historian commented, if Arnold had died at Saratoga (as Arnold had wished), he’d be a huge American hero, with high schools names after him, battle ships, etc. Meanwhile, if he had stayed, he’d also of been a huge American hero after the war, especially once Washington became President. Arnold’s story is indeed a sad one: Abrasive, yes; made a horrible final decision, yes; but that didn’t mean it was right to back-stab him – intentionally discriminate against him – as badly as so many did, and which led to that fateful decision. Arnold made too many personal sacrifices and won too many vital battles/campaigns to have been treated that way.

Joanne from Setauket April 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

Ahhhh….Anna (Nancy) Strong wife of Selah Strong who was exiled to Connecticut for serving in the Continental Army. Anna was left to hold down the homestead, still standing, by the way, in a beautiful spot over looking the Long Island Sound (The Devils Belt) in Strongs Neck, Setauket. She and Selah are buried in the cemetery on Cemetery Lane in Strongs Neck overlooking the water. Many of the first settlers are buried there. I walk my dogs there a lot and thank the Patriot spirits, so serene and very beautiful.
Anna Strong in NO WAY, was romantically involved with Abe Woodhull. She was 10+ years older than he was and already had several children by the time he was in his 20’s. Woodhull was also not married at this time, he married Mary Smith, after the war was over.
I’m surprised the series hasn’t mentioned Austin Roe yet. He was a Setauket Tavern owner where the Brits used to hang out, drink, and spill much tactical intel during their drunken parties. Roe would travel on horseback from Setauket to Manhattan carrying that intel under the guise of ordering supplies for his tavern. I’m glad to see Robert Townsend come into the story, he is actually my favorite spy. ;) His family home is still standing in Oyster Bay, NY. It’s a museum called Raynham Hall, you should definitely visit if you come up for a Spy Coast tour.
Also, another thing that really bothers me about this portrayal of the Culper Spies is Richard Woodhull (Abraham’s father) being portrayed as a Loyalist. No way!!! His father & brother fought & supported in the Continental Army. They were all Patriots. Richard Woodhull was beaten almost to his death when Simcoe & the Queens Rangers visited the Woodhull farm in search of Abraham. Maybe that will be revealed in the upcoming episodes.
Rivington’s Coffee & Printing Shoppe should be mentioned too. It seems like they combined it with Robert Townsend’s shop, which should be a dry goods store. Knowing the true history makes this version a bit confusing to me. I truly LOVE this story, and I feel so privileged to live in Setauket and to have learned about these amazing Patriots!

Sheila B April 22, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Joanne,
Thanks for enhancing the story line. I grew up on Long island and this story was never told in school.

Sheila April 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Hey everyone!
I think we can all agree that the TV show Turn should return. It’s an intelligent show that has clearly sparked intelligent conversation. Many of us are passionate about history, especially North American history. Their is joint history between Canada and America that should be cherished and celebrated. At Sackets Harbor, NY, there is a celebration of the WAR of 1812 where Canadians and Americans participate in reenactments, food and music. The French Festival in Cape Vincent celebrates Bastille Day. Their are Canadian high school bands and organizations marching in the parade.
Lets focus on getting Turn back for another seasons. We need more historical drama on TV.

LouRich April 17, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Agreed! Again! :-) My grandfather used to travel between Quebec and NY regularly back in the late 1890’s/ early 1900’s, and held dual citizenship, but his wife and family lived in Quebec, where we are from. Everyone spoke French on my mother’s side. I live in the US now, since the age of 6 (and do not speak French because my father was English.)

Sheila January 30, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Turn should be brought back for a second season. It is one of the few intelligent show based on historical fact. I enjoyed being wrapped up in the storyline. I looked forward to it’s weekly showing of American bravery against the arrogant British bullies. The ingenuity and cunningness is a lesson forgotten by Americans. Instead we”re fed stupefying garbage that is suppose to be entertainment.

Wendy January 31, 2015 at 9:22 am

Bring Turn back.

north nevada April 16, 2015 at 1:48 am

Wow, Sheila, you must have been brought up in the American School system. That’s the only way I can justify your comment. Americans have been mislead by educators for at least a century. George Washington and his ilk were country squires, wealthy on top of that. King George would not allow encrogment on Native land to the east. THAT is what the revolution was about. The wealthy wanted native land to their benefit. That and only that is why there was a revolution. Look what happened after independence, genocide of Natives. While where in Canada under British rule, peace pervailed. Many Loyalist had their land and wealth confiscated by the new country. Please research what really happened.

LouRich April 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Wow, “north nevada” person, you really are full of yourself, aren’t you? You must have graduated from the Liberal Lefty College of Indoctrination. As a Canadian myself, I can tell you that Canada is not one giant Native American reservation. In fact, its population is conspicuously Caucasian. Furthermore, European whites in Canada were just as ruthless towards the natives as they were anywhere else, and Canadians of all nationalities and ethnicities, owned slaves. So you stuck to the King. Big deal. Now you’re a Commonwealth. Nothing superior about that, and trying to set yourself up as such might make you feel better about yourself, for whatever reason, but it also makes you look ignorant and biased. Plus, your spelling is bad.

Sheila April 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm

The discussion is whether the TV show Turn should return for a second season. Your personal attacks are childish and inappropriate. As a Canadian you have no knowledge to the American School system which was developed as result of the English system. American public school is open to all from kindergarten through 12th grade. My misspelling is the result of an eye injury.

Doug April 16, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Sheila, I think “LouRich” was replying to “north nevada,” not you. I think there might be a misunderstanding (or maybe I’m missing something ).

LouRich April 17, 2015 at 11:56 am

Thanks, Doug! For weeding through this confusion and coming to the right conclusion. I thought Nevada’s unwarranted attack on Sheila deserved a response.

LouRich April 17, 2015 at 11:50 am

Dear Sheila, Doug is right! I was defending your statement against North Nevada’s ignorant post. I tried to place my comment, “Agreed” below yours, to indicate I agreed with you, but this chain is a bit confusing. Anyway, I agreed with you, and responded to Nevada person. I like TURN and enjoyed the opening season episode. Here’s to history! And to the U.S., flaws and all. :-)

LouRich April 16, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Agreed!

Joanne from Setauket April 16, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Wow Native Canadian, do YOU know your history? You are so off base when it comes to why America started a revolution against a monarchy. It was over taxation without representation. The colonies were thriving in resources that the King of England couldn’t find in England. Sugar cane, tobacco, rice & grains, and LAND filled with rich, futile soil for farming. King George would not recognize the American Congress and wouldn’t give them any say, all the king cared about was the money the colonies brought him and he placed a tax on everything!
As for the slaves, 100 years before the African slaves set foot on American soil, there were the Irish slaves. King James and Cromwell almost wiped out the Irish, and those they didn’t slaughter, they sold into slavery and sent them to Australia and the colonies as slaves.
As for the peaceful Native Americans, there was no warring on Long Island between the colonists and the tribes. They lived peacefully side by side with each other. The tribes fought amongst themselves, but NEVER with the colonists.
As for the Native Americans being the victims of genocide here in early America, did you know that King George PAID the tribal nations to slaughter innocent colonial settlements in his effort to win the war? Yep, the Native Americans slaughtered innocent farmers, men, women & children for a few pennies, trinkets, and bullshit promises from good ole King George!
And lastly, Canada didn’t have the valuable resources that America had to offer. You can’t grow tobacco in Canada, and your planting season is short-lived compared to the warm southern lands in the good ole USA! Canada NEEDED England a hell of a lot more than we did.
Better brush up on YOUR history lesson there Oh Canada in North Nevada.

LouRich April 17, 2015 at 11:46 am

Dear Joanne from Setauket, Doug is right. You missed something in your reply to me. My post was a response to an ignorant statement from someone from Nevada. But I appreciate your knowledge of history! Thanks for the insights. Although you make a couple of over-broad generalizations that could be refuted on a technicality or two, I agree with the majority of what you say here. And I think TURN is a great show. I enjoyed the second season opener!

Joanne from Setauket April 17, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Hi there Lou, I didn’t mean my reply to be directed at you specifically. I, like you, was confused about where to respond, LOL! I just gave a very brief history lesson, for it is rather deep, and I didn’t have enough time to devote to this thread. TURN is a TV show LOOSELY based on what actually transpired with the real Culper Spies. The true history is far more intriguing and a lot more detailed than this TV version. But I do enjoy the series very much.
To history, America, The Constitution & all the brave people who fought for it!!! Thank You All!

LouRich April 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi Joanne, Thanks for the response!

Walt Bresnahan December 12, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yes, I think the show Turn should be renewed! It is a great show!

Ray Downes July 30, 2014 at 6:11 pm

This series is a real sleeper I gave up after 7 or 8 episodes. It would be a better 2 hour documentary, it’s not working as a series.

Louise July 31, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Actually, a lot of people would disagree with you. I, for one, am very pleased it’s being renewed, and look forward to watching it again. It’s one of the most interesting shows on TV.

Doug July 31, 2014 at 6:33 pm

“Turn” is fantastic! I’m so glad its renewed. Awesome!

Anonymous November 29, 2014 at 8:43 pm