Working Class: CMT Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

Working Class canceledDespite a great start, there won’t be a second season of CMT’s first original sitcom, Working Class. The cable channel has announced that the TV series has been cancelled after just 12 episodes.

Working Class revolves around Carli Mitchell (Melissa Peterman), a single mom who’s trying to give her kids a better life by moving them to an upscale suburb. She quickly finds that the transition is harder than she thought. She’s unwittingly befriended by her cranky neighbor, Hank (Ed Asner), and her only career prospect is a grocery store job working under Rob (Patrick Fabian), the man she’s attracted to who also has a girlfriend. With the help of her brother (Steve Kazee), Carli somehow finds a way to make it all work. Her kids are played by Lachlan Buchanan, Courtney Merritt, and Cameron Castaneda.

The sitcom started off as the highest-rated and most-watched series debut in CMT’s history with 1.2 million total viewers. Unfortunately, that didn’t last and the ratings dropped. The season finale aired on April 1st.

CMT has now decided to cancel Working Class and posted the news on the show’s official Facebook page.

Unfortunately, CMT will not be pursuing a second season of Working Class. We’re sad to see it go, but you can still catch Melissa Peterman in new episodes of The Singing Bee.

What do you think? Did you like the show? Are you sorry that Working Class won’t be back for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

20 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. lorraine gorman says

JUST HEARD ABOUT THIS SHOW WATCH IT ON LINE SINCE I NEVER SAW ANY PROMOTION FOR IT, ESPECIALLY ON THE SINGING BEE ONLY HEARD ONE REFERENCE TO IT VERY POOR PART ON CMT PROMITION DEPT

2. Eva says

i’m really upset i can’t believe it it seems like evey time there is something good on tv it gets cancelled this is pure B.S. i really liked this show it was hilarious

3. Joanna says

I love this show it was one of my favorite I was wondering when it was gonna start back up but was upset to find out it won’t all great actors. :((

4. CBB says

I really hate to see this show canceled. It was a nice way to end a hectic week, with some good laughs. Very funny and I liked the chemistry of the characters. Such a shame it wasn’t given a chance with a second season.

5. Anonymous says

What a big mistake. That show was great. Not many enjoyable TV on Friday nights and this filled the spot for me. I can’t believe it! The network didn’t give it much of a chance. I am very disappointed@!!!

6. CCR says

Sorry this show was cancelled. It was a great light hearted comedy. Loved the cast.
    I hope another station will pick up this show. Maybe TV Land.

7. Dave says

Really!!?? A nice show the family can watch and it gets cancelled. Why not try it in another time slot first before cancelling? Great people, great show, give it another chance.

8. Kelliann says

That sucks! amazing show! always makes me laugh. We Need more will some other station pick it up. what do we have to do to get more?

9. Greg says

What a shame…. seems like all the good ones get canceled ….
    Let’s start a petition to get TV LAND to grab it…:)

10. Jeanie says

I love this show!! I want more of it! The cast is great and it is sooooooooooo funny! I don’t think that there was much promotion of the show. It was put between Big Red Neck Weddings and it had nothing to do with rednecks! It deserves another chance on a real TV station!! Bring it back!! TV Land would be a great choice- right now I don’t think they have any family sitcoms.

11. Sam says

I watched Working Class and am sorry to see it departing the airwaves. Particularly since it featured a “hometown” boy, Steve Kazee, from Eastern Kentucky. The show wasn’t the freshest concept for a sitcom by any means, but it was enjoyable to watch because of the talent involved. Farewell, my friend!