Working Class: CMT Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

Working Class canceledDespite a great start, there won’t be a second season of CMT’s first original sitcom, Working Class. The cable channel has announced that the TV series has been cancelled after just 12 episodes.

Working Class revolves around Carli Mitchell (Melissa Peterman), a single mom who’s trying to give her kids a better life by moving them to an upscale suburb. She quickly finds that the transition is harder than she thought. She’s unwittingly befriended by her cranky neighbor, Hank (Ed Asner), and her only career prospect is a grocery store job working under Rob (Patrick Fabian), the man she’s attracted to who also has a girlfriend. With the help of her brother (Steve Kazee), Carli somehow finds a way to make it all work. Her kids are played by Lachlan Buchanan, Courtney Merritt, and Cameron Castaneda.

The sitcom started off as the highest-rated and most-watched series debut in CMT’s history with 1.2 million total viewers. Unfortunately, that didn’t last and the ratings dropped. The season finale aired on April 1st.

CMT has now decided to cancel Working Class and posted the news on the show’s official Facebook page.

Unfortunately, CMT will not be pursuing a second season of Working Class. We’re sad to see it go, but you can still catch Melissa Peterman in new episodes of The Singing Bee.

What do you think? Did you like the show? Are you sorry that Working Class won’t be back for a second season?

lorraine gorman July 29, 2011 at 8:51 am

JUST HEARD ABOUT THIS SHOW WATCH IT ON LINE SINCE I NEVER SAW ANY PROMOTION FOR IT, ESPECIALLY ON THE SINGING BEE ONLY HEARD ONE REFERENCE TO IT VERY POOR PART ON CMT PROMITION DEPT

Eva June 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

i’m really upset i can’t believe it it seems like evey time there is something good on tv it gets cancelled this is pure B.S. i really liked this show it was hilarious

Joanna May 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I love this show it was one of my favorite I was wondering when it was gonna start back up but was upset to find out it won’t all great actors. :((

CBB May 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

I really hate to see this show canceled. It was a nice way to end a hectic week, with some good laughs. Very funny and I liked the chemistry of the characters. Such a shame it wasn’t given a chance with a second season.

melissa May 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I loved that show! Very disappointed.

Anonymous May 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

What a big mistake. That show was great. Not many enjoyable TV on Friday nights and this filled the spot for me. I can’t believe it! The network didn’t give it much of a chance. I am very disappointed@!!!

CCR April 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Sorry this show was cancelled. It was a great light hearted comedy. Loved the cast.
I hope another station will pick up this show. Maybe TV Land.

Dave April 14, 2011 at 3:57 am

Really!!?? A nice show the family can watch and it gets cancelled. Why not try it in another time slot first before cancelling? Great people, great show, give it another chance.

Kelliann April 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm

That sucks! amazing show! always makes me laugh. We Need more will some other station pick it up. what do we have to do to get more?

Greg April 13, 2011 at 11:09 am

What a shame…. seems like all the good ones get canceled ….
Let’s start a petition to get TV LAND to grab it…:)

Jeanie April 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I love this show!! I want more of it! The cast is great and it is sooooooooooo funny! I don’t think that there was much promotion of the show. It was put between Big Red Neck Weddings and it had nothing to do with rednecks! It deserves another chance on a real TV station!! Bring it back!! TV Land would be a great choice- right now I don’t think they have any family sitcoms.

Brad April 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I say we start a petition, I laughed so much with Working Class, and it was great to see all the guest-stars =)

Alana April 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Wow…..by far my absolute favorite show. They are making a big mistake canceling this!

Sam April 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I watched Working Class and am sorry to see it departing the airwaves. Particularly since it featured a “hometown” boy, Steve Kazee, from Eastern Kentucky. The show wasn’t the freshest concept for a sitcom by any means, but it was enjoyable to watch because of the talent involved. Farewell, my friend!

Anita April 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

That sucks. I liked the show. Maybe she should look to resurrect it on TV Land?