All My Children, One Life to Live: Officially Staying Cancelled

AMC OLTL staying cancelledIt turns out that All My Children and One Life to Live are staying cancelled.

Months ago, Prospect Park announced plans to keep the venerable soaps going on their Online Network once they completed their runs on ABC. All My Children ended in September and One Life to Live is scheduled to say goodbye in January.

Founded in 2009 by Jeffrey Kwatinetz and former Disney Studios head Rich Frank, Prospect Park has been trying to secure funding for the venture, while also signing the talent and writers and trying to make special agreements with the Hollywood unions for possible cable runs. That proved to be too much.

It was reported earlier this month that AMC had been delayed while other sources indicated that the company would only be trying to keep OLTL going.

Prospect Park was only able to secure the participation of AMC’s Cameron Mathison (Ryan Lavery) and Lindsay Hartley (Dr. Cara Castillo Martin). Susan Lucci addressed the rumors that she was the reason that AMC hit a snag by saying, “There has been miscommunications as a result of statements in the press that I am one of the reasons that All My Children is not moving forward. This is simply untrue and not the case.”

A baker’s dozen of OLTL actors had agreed to continue, including Erika Slezak (Victoria Lord), Ted King (Tomas Delgado), Michael Easton (John McBain), and Kassie DePaiva (Blair Cramer).

While fans of both soaps are no doubt disappointed, the biggest losers in this mess are the fans of All My Children. After the online deal was announced, AMC’s producers changed their plans to wrap up the soap so that it could lead into the online version. They left things in a cliffhanger with the fate of characters left up in the air.

One Life to Live recently wrapped production on their finale. If any storylines were planned to be left open, hopefully producers can rework things for a proper goodbye before the last episode airs.

What do you think? Are you surprised that the soaps won’t be continuing online? What should be done about AMC’s cliffhanger ending? How would you resolve it? Just a bad dream?

Barb December 19, 2011 at 6:59 am

I totally agree……..I have also been a faithful watcher and am not at all pleased that One Life to Live is ending!! and the shows that are replacing it??? BAH HUMBUG to ABC!! they no longer have ANYTHING worth watching!!!

Joseph December 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Who watches ABC anyway except for AMC and OLTL? Oh, that’s right NO ONE! Consistently in the bottom of tv viewers they are going the way of CBS news–full of crap and not worth watching.

j j November 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Trurly sad my family destroy watch oltl since in high school Victoria iwatch she keepsme going in bad times .I wish all companies get along work together moneycan be made.propect could sell to ABC for soap net profet made from cableiwish the characters Marcie and Mike mcbain go on gh they need a new doctor there.the head writer on oltl was excellent. I pray oltl goes on line still sad not on ABC in this world oltl is a good bookyou don’t want to put down . I want to see more and pray for all parties for happy futures for everyone. Try to put smile on another person face and its then its a good new year.

Jill November 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

imlateagain what do you care what others say you like soaps then you have that right as the men like there garbage we don’t complain so enjoy yourself and don’t worry what others say SOAPS ROCK!

imlateagain November 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I’m also disappointed in the actors’ responses in interviews. Great! You are coming back to the show after being gone a year! Have you followed to see what the storyline is? “Heavens no! I’ve been to busy to watch that stuff.” Well guess what. I wasn’t too busy. I watched it for 40 years. Since before that actor was even born. It insults me, same as people I know who insult me for watching, that it destroys brain cells. What about guys who watch sports for 40 years? I don’t put them down. But I would think an actor who wants this genre to succeed would be more conscientious and sensitive about the consequences of their words.

imlateagain November 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Soapnet is going off the air in 2012 anyway. It’s over. We have been lied to after 40 years of loyalty. We don’t owe the actors jobs. They earned those jobs! Anybody can be an actor but to act that well and to put on so many shows… does anyone wonder if we destroyed our shows? We complain that if Erica and Jack don’t get back together we wont watch anymore. Maybe the story is how miserable they are or they try to make a like without the other and finally make their way back to each other. But we (well I never once did. I still hope they confused GiGi with Stacy and GiGi is alive. I still hope Laura is faking all this and Luke is in on it and never was unfaithful, its all an act to fool Helena so she won’t kill them.) But we threaten to quite watching but someone else wants Erica with Adam or they wont watch. We all scream at how we hate the show… the writers try to make us all happy and too many cooks spoiled the broth. Just one possibility.

Jill November 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm

your telling me soapnet is going off the air also wow what is this world coming to

Tha Critic November 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’m no fan of soap operas but if these shows were cancelled for “The Chew”, then ABC shouldn’t even have daytime TV at all.

Lorrie November 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This SUCKS!

Anonymous December 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I agree. It suck’s/ I hope ABC die’s. Both daytime and night time. I know I will no longer be watching ABC.
Linda

Tami November 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I think they should have just moved to soapnet. I think they all should have stayed in production and continued on soapnet. For these icons of television to lose their jobs and for the network to just leave it blank is sad. I have been watching both since I was a girl and I hate seeing them go. Daytime TV will officially suck now.

Jill November 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I totally agree with Tami they should of just moved to Soapnet period

jp November 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

bull****!!! they never should’ve led people to believe this would happen if it wasn’t a done deal