Bunheads: ABC Family Orders More Episodes

Bunheads on ABC Family renewedThis Monday night marks the finale of Bunheads but it won’t be the last episode. ABC Family has ordered additional episodes of the freshman dramedy.

Bunheads revolves around a Las Vegas showgirl (Sutton Foster) who ends up widowed and teaching dance in a small town far from the Strip. The rest of the cast includes Kaitlyn Jenkins, Julia Goldani Telles, Bailey Buntain, Emma Dumont, Kelly Bishop, and Alan Ruck. To date, the TV show has averaged a 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.37 million total viewers.

In addition to today’s good news for Bunheads fans, ABC Family renewed Melissa & Joey, Switched at Birth and Baby Daddy for new seasons and cancelled Jane By Design.

Rather than give Bunheads a new season order, the cable channel execs have instead given Bunheads a full first season instead. It’s unknown how many additional episodes have been ordered but at least eight are expected.

The Amy Sherman-Palladino series is expected to go back into production in October and new episodes should start airing in early 2013.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Bunheads will be back? Would you have preferred a full second season order instead?

ActiveATC September 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Pleazzzzz do not cancel Bunheads! There are very few shows left on anymore worth watching.

Michelle Trujillo July 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I am very disappointed that ABC Family would cancel Bunheads and Lying Game while starting 3 more shows. The Fosters is horrible. What can’t you keep the current shows for longer than season. I love Bunheads. It was a show that actually made me laugh the whole time. Please bring Bunheads and Lying Game back!! There are very few shows for me to watch anymore.

Chuck Casto May 2, 2013 at 6:18 pm

My entire family loves this show…So glad it’s being renewed.

Lizzie K. April 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Please please please !!!!!! come back I love this show! I love Amy Palladino! Sutton Foster is amazing! but my all time favorite is Kelly Bishop! Reminds me so much of my Gilmore Girls!!

Jacqui April 11, 2013 at 3:23 am

So glad Bunheads is being extended. The writing is great, nothing else like it on TV. Looking foward to the furture episodes and hopefully a season 2.

Pink Kitty September 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

Miss Gilmore Girls, so really glad Amy Sherman-Palladino is back with a new show. So glad ABC Family has requested more episodes. Can’t wait for it to start again. I love Amy’s quirky characters and story lines. I have the complete 7 years of the Gilmore Girls on DVD and watch them often. I hope she can work the same magic with Bunheads that she did with the Gilmore Girls. Glad you’re back Amy!

centralgirl August 29, 2012 at 11:52 am

I really enjoy this show and am happy more episodes were ordered. One note – I can move past the actors’ old roles in Gilmore Girls produced by the same Palladino, except for Sean Gunn. His character then and now is too similar and it is preventing me from accepting the new character as the town barrista. While he plays a very good quirky character, if he must be cast, please reach for something different for Gunn.

Maria August 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That is some great news! Bunheads was finally a fresh and bright series with interesting characters and a good story line without all the senseless glamour and stupid cliche love/sex stories ! It would be a big shame if it ended so fast! Can’t wait for the new episodes!

JACKO August 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

So glad more episodes are on order. Bunheads is a wonderfully entertaining show, with extremely talented players, great writing, and characters worth investing our time in every week. Nothing seems contrived. The stories are like a glimpse into the lives of real people we want to see succeed and find happiness. Keep up the joyful work!

anonymous August 26, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I love bunheads – my husband and I both watch it – love sutton foster and rest of the cast. Funny, unpredictable, well written and acted! So glad there will be more

Karen August 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I love this show. It is funny, the dancer’s are talented, Kelly Bishop is a hoot and Sutton Foster is great. I hope it has a good run.

anonymous August 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I love this show! Can’t wait for the new season. I feel like it went away too soon.

Sharon August 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm

My husband and I LOVE Bunheads and hope for many more episodes!

Michelle August 23, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for more Bunheads! I love it. It is witty, well acted , well danced and the character development is so much better than most shows. You need a brain to watch this show as well as a heart and a funny bone.Please many more seasons. Congrats ABC family. Amy Sherman Pallidino, welcome back we’ve missed you!

Anonymous August 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Thank you for more episodes of bunheads. It’s brilliantly written, quirky,unique and loads of fun.