Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Atlanta eyeing Dallas April 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Dallas’ theme song has me dancing in my chair, otherwise Im just glued to the TV set. And one hour episodes are too quick. It is very difficult to vote that “Rise to Power” challenge when all the characters are so superb.

Dave S. April 27, 2013 at 10:59 am

The new Dallas first had to grow on me since I was a fan and watched all of the old Dallas when it was on. I believe it is one of the best shows in evening tv now! Every episode is filled with multiple cliff hangers and major plots and schemes. I believe that if it would have been started on a major tv station it would have had major success!!!!!!! LOVE IT!
I want to see a season #3 for sure!

Doug Keppler April 27, 2013 at 10:52 am

Keep the show on I love this show playing on in today’s world!!!!

Anonymous April 26, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Yes bring it back again and again

Susan Y April 26, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I too, cannot wait for Monday nights to come along. Easily, my favorite show on television. I think tha the writing is superb and the actors/actresses are incredibly good! Please, please bring it back. I will be so depressed if you don’t!

Nikki April 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Dallas definitely needs to come back for season 3. One of the best shows in tv!

Dominick Mendoza April 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I fill there is a lot more stories here. For one thing, the father of John Ross whether it was Jr or Cliff.

Joan April 26, 2013 at 3:46 pm

YES, please bring it back, I love the show my entire family and friends love it. BRING IT BACK PLEASE.

Lisa April 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

BRING IT BACK !!! I have been watching religiously every week!! I love it! Great cast! This show is very well put together – very reminsant of the Dallas years ago! Please keep it !! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy April 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Absolutely…it should come back. I’ve never seen a show tie in characters from so many years ago with new characters (who were children in the first run of the show). It’s addictive. There are still so many that can be brought back from the original…can’t wait to see what happens next.

Crash33 April 26, 2013 at 8:51 am

I think that TNT should pick up Dallas for a third season. Although ratings dropped for season II, I believe the current cast (sadly, minus JR ) and storyline will only attract more viewers. Also, changing the Monday airing to Thursday or Friday may be helpful. I am sure that many others (like myself) have to watch On Demand or reruns has an ill effect on the ratings. The season II finally leaves a myriad of available directions to go! ! !

terry ross April 26, 2013 at 4:46 am

YES BRING IT BACK

Terry April 26, 2013 at 12:49 am

Please renew, my husband and I have watched Dallas from the beginning…..the New Dallas is great and we look forward to it each week……..best TV show ever……please do not cancel………RENEW

Rick Burrows April 25, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Please make a season 3! I enjoy seeing those familiar characters again and again! And bring back more of the previous series regulars and guest stars for cameos! Love it! And how about a new Dynasty the hour after !!! Dream big!!

Robert Tucci April 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Please bring on season 3 and more! Once I found it was on, I had to watch every week. Actually, watching the new Dallas, made me start watching the original series from the beginning. I will watch it whenever it may come on!
This show is by far better than anything on at the same time!