Detroit 1-8-7: Will It Be Back or Just Cancelled?

Detroit 1-8-7On Tuesday, ABC pre-empted Detroit 1-8-7 with a special edition of 20/20 in which Diane Sawyer interviewed Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford’s husband about the Tucson shooting. Based on the preliminary ratings for the program, ABC made a good choice. It attracted a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.18 million total viewers. While those aren’t great numbers, they’re a 30% improvement over last week’s episode of Detroit 1-8-7 (1.0 in the demo with 5.05 million).

Next week, the cop drama will be replaced by the annual State of the Union address. Right now, Detroit 1-8-7 is scheduled to return on February 1st but one has to wonder if that will actually happen. ABC has a track record of pre-empting low-rated shows with the intention of bringing them back but it just never happens.

TV show supportThe network has ordered 18 installments of Detroit 1-8-7 and 12 of those have aired so far. It would seem like a waste not to air the remaining six but the same could be said for the leftover seven episodes of The Whole Truth. If ABC can keep coming up with specials that will perform better, we may likely have seen the last of low-rated Detroit 1-8-7.

What do you think? Will Detroit 1-8-7 return to the regular schedule or lost in hiatus and cancelled?

ken December 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

bring this show back on air its a fav the other shows you have are boring and you still air them this is coming from an detroitier

Scott Strong December 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Detroit 187 is a great program. Everyone in Detroit should watch it to support it. It is supporting the community and bringing back business. This could be one of the best programs and if the network is smart market it. Once you watch it you want to see it again and again. The network and actors should promote it. It could be on for the next ten years.
WATCH OUT IF THIS NETWORK DOES NOT DO IT ANOTHER ONE WILL. Contact me if you need help.

Hady December 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

My husband & I looked forward to this show every week, we both like it and expected to see it continue. We don’t like the “reality” shows!

luk December 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

this is a very good show.

Judy November 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Please bring back Detroit 1-8-7. We really enjoyed it and thought it was one of the more realistic shows on TV. Thank you.

Sonya November 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I really liked the show. It was reminscient of NYPD Blue and Hill Street Blues. I thought the use of two story lines per episode was a good approach. Please, whoever is listening, do not cancel this show. It will gain in popularity, I am sure. And yes, I am so tired of poor fat people crying and trying to lose weight for the enjoyment of a sick society bent on watching others misery. What is wrong with the people who think this is entertainig? LISTEN!!!! BRING IT BACK NOW!!!!

John Taggart November 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

Please bring back the one cop show that’s close to real. One of the best shows on the media today…

jennifer November 23, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Please give detorit 187 a chance i think they relly desrive it and its a grat show based on real people

Diane November 17, 2011 at 1:24 am

ABC please give this show a chance to gain viewers. This was my favorite show from last season.

Richard November 16, 2011 at 9:43 am

DO NOT CANCEL

Richard November 16, 2011 at 8:03 am

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL

Darlene November 14, 2011 at 7:33 am

PLEASE DON”T CANCEL THIS SHOW. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK ASAP.

Sylvia November 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I absolutely loved this show. I would watch and tape at the same time and then watch again a couple days later. I am sad that ABC decided to canel this show, but then again so did they with All My Children and replaced it with “The Chew” Couldnt it have been more original that a rip off of The View?? . Someone at the top doesnt have their thinking caps on

Kaye November 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm

11-03-11 Please bring back the only new show from last season that was even worth watching!!! I miss it soooooo much!!! I am so tired of “specials” and people dancing, singing, getting lost, racing , or eating bugs!!! I want to watch a good quality police drama. Bring back Detroit 187!!! Best New Show of 2010. Or I will be watching reruns forever.

Diana October 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This is one of my favorite shows. Didn’t miss an episode why would you go an cancel such a great show. Please bring it back. Some of the shows you have now aren’t even at the level this show was.