Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

MER February 5, 2013 at 10:04 pm

This is one of the best shows of the season. I started watching it & don’t want it to end! Finally some fresh new faces who can really act. The storylines are good & well written. Its not gory or fake. Keep up the good work & lets keep it going…. its very much worth watching. The main character is so interesting & such a role model!!!!

Debbie February 5, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Please renew the show! We watch every episode!

Lisa February 5, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Love this show, please don’t cancel !

Laura lacher February 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm

RENEW IT PLZ!!!!!!! I absolutely love love love this show((:

yaffa lukash February 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

This show grows on you and has so much to offer….some of the characters needed a bit of tweeking but the message is great and so enjoyable. Please bring it back….

nikki February 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm

please !!! keep the show, I love this show. Why is that all good shows are cut off and the reality crap show are on.

Jan Labrick February 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I have really enjoyed this show. I agree with other comments about the quality of the show and its refreshing concepts. Please bring it back.

Anonymous February 4, 2013 at 8:02 am

I really like it. I hope they don’t cancel it. I think it is different even though it is medical. Refreshing to not have her a hospital slut.

Alissa February 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm

It saddens me to find out the show is cancelled. I have cable vision, we were without the CW Network for about a month or longer. I had to watch episodes on line to catch up. It’s a good quality witty thoughtful show. There are enough snarky, vampire, super hero shows on TV at the moment. Hopefully someone at the CW will rethink this axing. :(

Anonymous February 5, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I agree! Keep the show!!

sharrie February 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

A quality show…episode 12 was FAN-tastic…why cancel? Let it develope…a lot of junk out there…this show could be a hit.

patricia February 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This is a great show, I just don’t understand why they cancel the great shows.

Micahfan February 2, 2013 at 12:47 am

This show is really really good. I can’t believe that they are ending it so prematurely without even giving it a chance. It would definitely go the distance but probably just needs a bit of time and some strategic marketing/scheduling to maximise the viewing. The chemistry between micah and emily is almost blair-chuck esque. The show is smart, funny, deep and light all at the same time. Even the medical drama is to an extent accurate. This show should really be renewed again.. the actors are great, the story lines/writing are great. I hope someone reconsiders!

A Jordan February 1, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW AND IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYTIME I TURN AROUND GOOD QUALITY TV SHOWS R BEING CANCELLED AND THERE IS NOT MUCH THE FAMS CAN DO ABOUT IT. INSTEAD OF GOING BY LIMITED HOUSEHOLD T.V WATCHING WHY NOT GO BY POLES .. UHHHH GOOD TV IS HARD TO COME BY… P.S. NOBODY WANT TO SEE CULT

Michelle February 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I really enjoy this show & look forward to watching this every week! I hope they keep airing episodes!

Angel February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Please keep Emily Owens on! I’ve watched Emily Owens since day one and love it! The characters are great and I cringe in my seat for Emily and her awkward ways. Every episode ends with me wondering with excitement for the next one.

Patty February 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Please don’t cancel Emily Owens MD. Please bring it back. I enjoyed every episode. I couldn’t wait for the next episode. Patty Jones