Kidnapped: NBC Orders the Last Episode

Jeremy Sisto and cast of Kidnapped on NBCRight out of the gate, NBC has not been pleased with the performance of one of its newest serial dramas, Kidnapped.As a result, the peacock network has decided to cut the story short — but thankfully won’t leave viewers hanging.

Kidnapped is a new series that tells the story of a wealthy New York City couple (Timothy Hutton and Dana Delany) whose teenage son (Will Denton) is abducted and, the investigative team assigned to find him (headed by an ex-FBI operative played by Jeremy Sisto).

The series premiere of Kidnapped on September 20, 2006 garnered a mediocre 7.5 million viewers, losing to a repeat of Grey’s Anatomy by three million viewers. The second and third episodes dipped even lower with 6.3 million viewers each.

As a result, NBC will move Kidnapped to Saturday nights (beginning October 21, 2006). They’ve also decided to shorten the planned 22 episode order to 13 episodes. Fortunately, with such advance notice, the Kidnapped creative team will be able to make use of a contingency plan which will allow them to wrap up the kidnapping mystery by the end of 13 episodes.

It’s unfortunate that the series won’t have as many episodes but at least fans won’t be left hanging (unlike fans of last year’s Reunion series). Since NBC is still struggling for ratings and Saturday night viewership expectations are so low, it’s a pretty sure bet that all 10 of the remaining episodes will be allowed to air. TV Series Finale home page

T November 10, 2006 at 9:42 pm

NBC kidnapped this show and massacred the viewers by instability

JB November 7, 2006 at 8:12 pm

My husband and I couldn’t wait for Kidnapped to air. We got really into it, then wondered were it went the next Wednesday! After looking online and seeing it moved to Saturday we watched it there. But you probably lost most of your viewers right there. Not knowing that it had switched nights then having it be on a weekend. You should have given it more time! We still are very interested in it and were disappointed to see that it was cut completly! We want to know what happens!!!???!!! NBC you guys are morons! You cut this show and leave some of the other crap shows no one watches! Very disappointing!

charity November 7, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Kidnapped is an awesome show! It seems to me that every time a good drama is put on television, it gets cancelled. It’s fine to change the night, but when you wait until Saturday night to watch it, Law and Order is on. Isn’t there enough of Law and Order???? I hope NBC plans on finishing it out. All the networks have cancelled most of the new tv lineups,is Shark next?? But of course CBS wants to keep there viewers!!

Jenny November 7, 2006 at 5:53 am

What a disappointment! Unfortunately my husband and I didn’t get your news beforehand so Sunday night (11/5) we set ourselves up for a Kidnapped evening with the two episodes we’d recorded with our DVR, happily caught ourselves up on the 10/28 episode, but when we queued up the 11/4 episode, lo and behold it was Law and Order CSI — a total surprise as even our cable company hadn’t changed the lineup on the schedule. We love Kidnapped and were happy to be able to see the story out in 13 episodes, but this treatment by NBC has us pretty angry. Why watch any new shows at all, especially serialized shows with a real plot like this one? I hope NBC will reconsider and at least bring this one to a conclusion.

Joel Luna November 6, 2006 at 11:58 am

I don’t know who makes the decision on what program to keep on the air and which one goes. But, one thing I know, Kidnapped is a good quality program and my entire family was hooked on it. Unfortunately, you are removing the program from your TV Series Schedules and you are doing it in a really disrespectful and disorganized way. There is nothing more disappointing than when you schedule a date with your wife to “watch” Kidnapped and you find out that with no notice the program has been cut. What is going on? What do you expect from viewers? I hope all episodes are viewed. Thanks.

Ann November 5, 2006 at 7:06 am

When can we at least see the last episodes?
I agree with the other person, it was the only show on NBC that we enjoyed.
Ann

michelle November 3, 2006 at 11:02 pm

THAT MAKES TWO SHOWS IN LESS THAN A YEAR THAT I HAVE GOTTEN PLEASURE OUT OF WATCHING BUT YOU GUYS GO AND CANCEL IT!!!!!WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?YOU DID NOT EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE!I DID NOTHING BUT BRAG ABOUT HOW GOOD THAT SHOW WAS TO MY FRIEND AND WHEN SHE DECIDES SHELL START WATCHING IT BECAUSE I BROUGHT HER UP TO DATE YOU GO AND DO THAT!AND WHAT IS UP WITH CANCELLING IT RIGHT AS IT WAS GETTING SO ENTHRALLING?I USED TO SET MY WHOLE EVENING AROUND SITTING DOWN TO WATCH THE SHOW.I DONT BELIEVE THAT ILL EVER DO THAT FOR ANOTHER NBC SHOW AGAIN!

Greg October 30, 2006 at 6:44 pm

I echo everything said above that was positive.

What do your network execs think when they read the regrets posted here that KIDNAPPED is being cancelled?

Bear in mind, these reviewers don’t rely on spell check and may have not only been interested in KIDNAPPED’s sponsors, but they might also be able to purchase their products.

Too bad the cast, directors and even the catering crew of KIDNAPPED have more on the ball than NBC’s execs (who are really the ones who should be cancelled).

KIDNAPPED really was excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

So now we can expect even more mediocre drivel from NBC… Instead of using the electricity for NBC TV, I think I’ll listen to the radio and read a book instead. Please tell KIDNAPPED’s sponsors I won’t be watching NBC anymore. In fact, this was the only show I did watch on NBC.

Bye-bye Birdie.

Mad at NBC October 30, 2006 at 5:03 pm

You guys suck for cutting Kidnapped short! I think it’s a great show and you should spend whatever money it’s costing you to pull it on advertising it so people know it’s on. I’m sure word of mouth has gained many viewers, but why don’t you do YOUR part? I’ll never forgive you for cutting this show. NEVER!!!

jay October 30, 2006 at 2:34 pm

folks should check out the talk on the shows official board at NBC.com. the fans aren’ t taking the news without a fight. who knows, given that Sisto is the only contract in the cast that really has to work out (since he’s pretty much the lead character), maybe if there’s enough talkback they will reconsider. would be amusing to have the fans win and the ratings results mean less (since they are bogus anyway with their 0.02% sample of the population)

christopher nelson October 30, 2006 at 7:26 am

I have enjoyed the series and thought that it was well made. Unforunatly,NBC wants instant hits these days. Wish that I had all of the episodes .

Kim October 29, 2006 at 9:33 pm

Loved Kidnapped guess you can fill its time slot with stupid shows like Earl and the office.

The Nagels October 29, 2006 at 7:08 pm

This is a shame that NBC wants to cancel Kidnapped ! They might want to try placing it in a timeslot where viewers can actually make a commitment and support the great story and great actors. Saturday at 8:00p.m. is probably the lowest viewing timeslot of the whole week. What was wrong with Wednesday? NBC, you don’t have anything else on your schedule, so maybe you should re-consider.

Signed,
More let down viewers

barry October 29, 2006 at 10:17 am

Its no wonder NBC is not doing well when they can’t recoconize a great program like Kidnapped, maybe FOX should take it over and get more viewers. Boo to NBC

William DeMente October 28, 2006 at 2:20 pm

I rarely watch television, however, when trailers of “Kidnapped” began appearing at local theaters, it looked like a promising series. I really enjoyed watching the episodes until some idiot pulled the plug on the series.