Last Man Standing: Showrunner & Cast Changes, Will They Help?

Last Man Standing sitcom changesThere are some changes in store for the second season of the Tim Allen sitcom, Last Man Standing.

Tim Doyle, executive producer of CBS’ Rules of Engagement, will replace Kevin Abbott as a showrunner on the ABC series. Abbott will continue with the sitcom as an executive producer but will be able to focus more of his energies on his new alphabet net sitcom, Malibu Country.

Starring Reba McEntire, Malibu Country will revolve around a Nashville mother who moves to California after a divorce. Both Last Man Standing and Malibu Country will air on Friday nights next season.

In addition, Alexandra Krosney, who plays Allen’s eldest daughter and a single mom, has been let go from the comedy series due to “creative reasons.” The role is being recast.

Last Man Standing started out its first season with a strong 3.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 12.93 million total viewers. Those numbers kept declining over the course of the season however and last month’s numbers fell as low as a 1.5 demo rating with 6.52 million.

Ratings like the latter aren’t typically strong enough to get a renewal, unless the show is airing on Friday nights. It’ll be interesting to see if Last Man Standing can maintain/improve those numbers on Friday evenings or if they’ll drop even lower.

What do you think? Will the cast/showrunner changes impact the ratings for Last Man Standing? Is the move to Friday nights a good idea?

Randy December 12, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Great comedy is so rare. Mash, All in the Family, Coach, Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, King of Queens (except for Arthur), The Office, and now (for 1 season) Last Man Standing. Nice work ABC, you destroyed the best most recent artistic sit-com. You’ve taken a great deal of pleasure out of our lives. LOSERS!

Randy December 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I’ve only posted comments once or twice in my life. My son told me about this show and I didn’t think I’d like it. When I started watching it, my wife and I watched it non stop. Then I watched the 1st episode of season 2. My only question is, How Difficult was it for ABC to find an IDIOT dumb enough to recast this gem of a show? I just googled the ratings and found out that 1/2 the audience has left and the ratings have gone from 3.5 to 1.5. How rare is it to find a comedy that is written and acted with wit and humor. How common is it to see a great piece of work destroyed by a “better management ideas”.

Anonymous November 6, 2013 at 12:30 am

they ruined a perfectly good show. I will no longer be watching

Caspial December 19, 2012 at 7:07 am

Still a great show but the new characters did bring it down a few notches.

samuels November 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hit This Show With A Shovel And Kill It An Then Bury It

Vicki November 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Agree with Danny. I was really looking forward to Season 2 but not anymore. No longer watching Last Man Standing. Too bad….

Danny November 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

I loved this show and couldn’t wait for it to come back. I was extremely disappointed with the changes. Not sure if I will continue watching.

Russ November 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hate the changes. Loser son in law character is an idiot and annoying. New daughter is unattractive and annoying. They made age 3 or 4 years since last season and made a high school sophomore last season, 18 yrs old this season. Not watching. Not recording. ABC ruined a great show.

tv watcher November 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

It’s not too late. A whole season of Dallas was a dream. Why change a winning combination? Have you ever heard of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”? I’ll check to see if it’s back to the original each week….if not, I’m changing the channel