Perfect Couples: NBC Pulling Sitcom; Cancelled?

Perfect Couples canceledNBC has decided to yank their freshman sitcom Perfect Couples from the schedule after April 7th. It’ll be replaced by The Paul Reiser Show on Thursday nights. Does this mean that Perfect Couples is canceled and gone for good?

Perfect Couples revolves around three young couples. Dave (Kyle Bornheimer) and Julia (Christine Woods) are the “everyday couple,” who are messed up in all the “normal” ways. Vance (David Walton) and Amy (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) are the high-passion, high-drama couple. Rex (Hayes MacArthur) is a reformed party guy and Leigh (Olivia Munn) is a self-anointed relationship guru who considers it her duty to mold the other couples in their image.

The NBC sitcom has been struggling in the ratings from the beginning. The network gave it viewers a sneak peak in December and that generated a terrible 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.56 million viewers. A month later, the second episode brought a mediocre 2.1 rating and 4.15 million. The numbers quickly started falling and the latest episode hit a low of a 1.2 rating.

The whole season of Perfect Couples currently averages a 1.5 rating in the demo and just 3.27 million viewers. It’s the lowest-rated scripted series on the network by far and even The Cape has a better season average. Bornheimer has committed to a new FOX pilot while Walton has signed on for a new NBC one.

TV show supportSo, no, NBC has not cancelled Perfect Couples officially, there are many very strong indications that it won’t be back next season. NBC has no incentive to bring it back and even cast one of the sitcom’s actors in one of their new shows.

Right now, it looks like there will be four unaired episodes of Perfect Couples. They may or may not see the light of day at a later date.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Perfect Couples go? Do you think that it still has a chance to return for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

679 Comments on "Perfect Couples: NBC Pulling Sitcom; Cancelled?"

Notify of

Rick L.
Rick L.
March 24, 2011 12:18 am

Loved it right away, has the feeling of “Friends”, but wholly different. If it was made years ago and aired right after “Friends” it would be on it’s 7th season as Friends went off the air in 2004, keeping the Peacock network in 1st.

mac man
mac man
March 23, 2011 11:45 pm

this is one of my fave shows right now its soo funny why do they keep getting rid of shows soo fast

asmallelephant
asmallelephant
March 23, 2011 10:44 pm

So, i LOVE this show. It’s quirky and interesting, and funny. It’s different. I adore it and I will be heartbroken if it is cancelled. I look foward to it every week. LAME.

mandy
mandy
March 23, 2011 3:46 pm

I thought the show was great and am sorry to see it go! My husband and I watch each week and think it’s great.

Nunya
Nunya
March 23, 2011 2:34 pm

it was so awkward. I mean even the title sequence was awkward…..

Zabster
Zabster
March 23, 2011 12:01 pm

i thought the little sketches at the beginning of the show were really good and i like the characters. maybe my expectations are too low.

Josh Glowzinski
Josh Glowzinski
March 23, 2011 10:50 am

I really liked this show. It was one of my new favorites. I am sorry to see it go.

Marcus
Marcus
March 23, 2011 8:44 am

They need to give up on re-creating Friends.

Chad
Chad
March 23, 2011 7:34 am

My wife and I liked this show. Maybe its cause were jaded and have no kids.

John
John
March 23, 2011 6:31 am

This makes perfect sense. The show was NOT funny. I forced myself to watch 3 episodes and they got progressively worse. My wife and I questioned how every episode ended with the whole cast in the same scene. Bad writing & bad acting.

Marcus
Marcus
March 23, 2011 5:09 am

hope they cancel this show, it sucks!

Cindy
Cindy
March 23, 2011 12:41 am

I LOVE Perfect Couples! PLEASE bring it back!
Goes to show you that only HBO & Showtime have great TV.

BJC
BJC
March 23, 2011 12:36 am

Dissapointing, I can’t understand how this show did not get ratings when its overall feel is somewhat similar to the very successful modern family. It improved markedly as the season progressed as well

brian
brian
March 22, 2011 8:49 pm
Perfect Couples is relateable if you’re in a long relationship, most of the humor is only funny because when I watch it the characters are acting like I would with my girlfriend of 3.5 years…..its sad that good shows get pulled for more and more crappy ones. Every station seems to be looking for its next LOST or Friends and all seem to want to keep pushing boundaries like Glee did….but that doesn’t mean any of them are family friendly. Glee I would never watch with 12 year olds cuz of the subject matter like sex in high school. Sure… Read more »
J
J
March 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Ok. Now I’m pissed. First New Adventures of Old Christine & now Perfect Couples. It is the only sitcom that I watch! Once again, reality TV murdered another sitcom. Dang!

wpDiscuz