Smash: Cancelled? NBC Drama Sent to Saturdays

Smash canceledSmash has been sent packing. The musical drama will finish its season on Saturday nights. While the peacock network hasn’t said that the show’s been cancelled, there’s no way they’re bringing it back for a third season.

Smash follows a cast and production team in New York as they try to mount a new Broadway musical. This season, the ensemble cast includes Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Jack Davenport, Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, and Andy Mientus.

Last season, Smash was a moderate success for NBC, thanks in part to the strong lead-in support from The Voice. It averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.

This season, Smash has really suffered without the reality competition’s support. The six episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a mere 1.0 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Other than Fashion Star on Friday nights, Smash is currently NBC’s lowest-rated series.

While there’s no way NBC will be making a third season, there is positivenews. NBC appears to be commited to letting the remaining 11 episodes air. Smash will start running on Saturday nights on April 6th, at 9pm.

What do you think? Are you sad about Smash’s fate? Do you like the show this season?

Lynn May 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

Can’t believe you are cancelling one of the most brilliant, entertaining, musical shows on TV!! You will renew ridiculous reality shows time and time again but will not renew a show with great music, acting and overall entertainment. Unbelievable!!!!
Bring it back or, hopefully, another station will pick up what you are losing. I am slowly getting tired of NBC and will probably devoting less of my time watching that station!!

Bree May 26, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Smash cancelled? Huge mistake NBC! Like so many others, Smash was the only show I watched on the network. I am unsure as to who was polled. Wasn’t me. After tonight’s airing of the season finale, I immediately went online to find out when Season 3 would be airing. What an incredible disappointment. I can only hope a network with better sense picks the show up.

barbara May 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm

so sorry to see Smash get cancelled. it is a great show and NbC should give it another chance. Please don’t let it go. it is the best show. can’t stand reality shows any longer.

Rick an Sue-ann ,,LOVE IT,,,, May 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

ITS AN AWESOME SHOW, LIKE GLEE, GIVE IT A CHANCE !

FRAN May 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

WHY DO YOU MOVE SHOWS AROUND…WHO STAYS HOME TO WATCH TV ON SAT NIGHTS…..PUT SPORTS ON THEN AND REALITY SHOWS FOR THE COUCH POTATOS. SMASH IS WELL DONE. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING IT. WHAT A MISTAKE TO LOSE THIS TALENTED CAST AND WONDERFUL GUEST PLAYERS. EG LIZA MINELLI BERNADETTE PETERS ETC.ITS REFRESHING AND ENTERTAINMENT. POOR SCHEDULING CAN DO ANY SHOW IN. WHATS GOING ON WITH N B C ???

FRAN May 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm

this is a great show dump something else and SAVE SMASH

Bellarina May 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL SMASH.

Linda May 17, 2013 at 8:44 am

honestly…………….I just don’t understand what the network is thinking! The talent in this show is great! I truly love having Smash on Saturdays when there is nothing at all on TV, on any network. I love the music, the story and the package as it stands.

ChrissyD May 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I cannot believe you are cancelling this show! NBC really is screwing up on this one! I dont watch anything else on this network either, so to lose such an AMAZINGLY well written show is a shame! I agree with “Laura” that hopefully another network will pick it up! How is something like the Simpsons on for 20 years, and great shows like SMASH dont last? Says a lot about the level of intellect in today’s viewers!

Joe May 13, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I really hate that NBC is canceling 2 really smart and entertaining shows like Smash and The New Normal. I hope another network is smart enough to pick up these shows. I have not watched anything on NBC for over 10 years because of the lack of quaility programing. The cable networks like T N T are putting quaility new show on their net works. I hope Steven Speilbergh takes it to another network.

June May 11, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely love SMASH! You have to have more than a few screws
loose to cancel this show! This is the only show I watch on your Network!
This show is amazing and the characters are all perfect! I love the music
and I have never been drawn to musicals. It depicts the time period just
right and they all have wonderful voices and their dancing is energizing!
The exec that decided to cancel this show needs his head examined. The
behind stage drama is excellent and fascinating,
DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!

Laura May 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm

NBC-
I noticed you have made a huge mistake and wanted to correct you before there are huge repercussions over it! You put SMASH on the cancelled list when clearly you meant to put it on the continued list!!!! SMASH is one of the few good shows left among all this trashy reality TV being shown on networks nowadays! It gives viewers more in site to the hard work put into the classy Broadway shows. It has a great cast and amazing music not to forget the great story line that keeps me hanging for the next episode. From reading all of the comments on Facebook on NBC’s page and SMASH’s page you had to of made this mistake unintentionally. Clearly many people are disappointed and since we are the ones who keep your network running with your ratings you don’t want such an upset….Please reconsider bringing back SMASH!!!
Thank you!

Laura May 11, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Makes sense lets move this show to a popular night and time (Saturday nights) so it can go to the way side….NBC is making a HUGE mistake…I hope another network will consider picking it up…

Kecie May 11, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love this show!! Can’t believe they are cancelling! WRONG I SAY!!!!! And people wonder why I try not to watch TV…The cancel all the good shows and leave crap on! SMASH is the best show on the air right now!…PLEASE DON’T CANCEL!!!!!!

Raz May 11, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Just in time for Katharine McPhee to play Wonder Woman!