The Assets: ABC Pulls Mini-Series After Two Episodes

The Assets canceledTo no surprise, ABC has pulled its very low-rated mini-series The Assets from the Thursday lineup.

For the next three weeks, the 10pm timeslot will be filled by Shark Tank reruns. It’s unclear what will fill the timeslot after that. Scandal is expected to return on February 27th.

It’s unclear what will become of the remaining six episodes of The Assets.

What do you think? Did you enjoy the series? Would you like to see the leftover episodes released online, on DVD as part of a full series set, or aired on Saturday nights?

314 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. marnie sasis says

I was very disappointed not to see this tonite. This is next to “24” Jack Bauer mini series I was so crazy about. What happened? I bet its not about “ratings”!

2. Maggie says

Of course it was cancelled. It required THOUGHT! Something the majority of this country seems to be too lazy to do. If it doesn’t spoon feed the audience the audience moves on. It’s all about instant gratification and mindless ‘reality’ shows. And this was based on an actual incident. I was anxious to see all the episodes. So ABC deems it more profitable to present a rerun than allow something of interest for their thinking viewers. Thank God for PBS.

3. Robert says

A well crafted, suspenseful TV show without dependence on special effects crutches.
    That equals superior writing. I’ve tried “Almost Human,” “Intelligence,”
    and “Blacklist” and this is heads above the other trite, predictable, contrived dialogues and plots.
    A real shame—invest some money in promoting superior TV or the HBOs and SHOWTimes
    will continue to kick your butt.

4. says

I know the story and was enjoying the miniseries………it makes no senses to have begun the miniseries (has been old news for some time) and cancel after two episodes. I enjoy what new actors may bring to a story that I am familiar with, this gives me a feeling of the depth of their acting ability.
    What the heck are ABC execs smoking? I almost never watch anything on ABC but was making an exception to watch this story. I have purchased the book but would have watched all eight episodes. Bad on ABC…….I now think that ABC stands for “Always Bad Choices” and likely will not look for any further offerings on the channel.

5. Disapointed!! says

What were they thinking leaving us hanging like that. It took us more then 2weeks before Scandel was added to record and watch every week. The Assets was something both my husband and I BOTH enjoyed watching.

6. Maureen McCarthy says

I enjoyed the show very much. I usually only watch Scandal and programs on PBS as I refuse to pay for cable. I saw this was filling in for Scandal and got hooked on it. I’m extremely disappointed it’s been cancelled already. I refuse to watch reality, talent shows and inane sitcoms, so that leaves pretty much NOTHING to watch on ABC, NBC, or CBS. I don’t consider myself super intelligent, but I guess I must be based on this and other shows I’ve watched in the past which always got cancelled!

7. Anonymous says

Please let us see the remaining episodes in some fashion. The first episode is shown online on the 16th. Just let us know how we can see the rest. Saturday night would be fine or shown on the abc website.

8. Geroge says

Enjoyed the show, very disappointed ABC doesn’t give shows a chance. Two episodes is not long enough time for a show before you pull the plug. Some of the best shows in TV had poor rating at first, imagine pulling the plug on MASH after the second episode! This is becoming all to common now . We have to watch crap they call Reality TV, which I will NEVER watch. This is another reason to stop wstching Network TV, like , ABC, NBC and NBC.

9. Sandi says

My husband and I are very disappointed that The Assets has been cancelled. We thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes and looked forward to the next six. We definitely think the viewers who found the series thought provoking, intelligent and entertaining should have the opportunity to see all episodes.

10. bill says

really enjoyed this show, definite upgrade over what abc usually broadcasts. I guess they felt compelled to going back to showing trash

11. Nick says

I enjoyed the show I found it suspenseful and looked forward to seeing the evidence that would finally nail Aldrich Ames. I an sad it is cancelled. I had set aside Thursday night to watch two shows. The Assets was one of them and my favorite. Maybe the entire series will be sold to Netflix.