The Cleveland Show: FOX Orders Full Season Two

IMAGEThe FOX network is understandably very happy with their new Family Guy spin-off, The Cleveland Show. They’ve rewarded it with a very early pick-up.

In The Cleveland Show, Peter Griffin’s pal Cleveland Brown (Mike Henry) moves back to his hometown in Virginia to get married. The animated series also stars Sanaa Lathan, Kevin Michael Richardson, Seth MacFarlane, Nia Long, Jason Sudeikis, Seth Green, Arianna Huffington, Alec Sulkin, John Viener, Reagan Gomez-Preston, and Aaron Krebs.

When the show premiered on September 27th, FOX had already been treating it like a hit. The show was given a greenlight and a 13 episode order in May 2008. Needing ample time to produce the animation, Cleveland was expected to debut by mid-season 2008-09.

In November 2008, FOX ordered additional nine episodes, bringing the first season total to 22. Character Cleveland Brown said in a FOX-released statement, “FOX picking up nine more episodes of our show is proof that an African-American can make it in this country. This is a milestone for the United States of America.”

Is Cleveland worth watching?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Later, based on the strength of what they’d seen, FOX decided to delay Cleveland’s premiere and give it a big launch in Fall 2009. They had such faith that they renewed it for a second year in May, several months before its scheduled premiere.

Now that the debut numbers are in, their faith has been rewarded. The show is a hit and, as a result, FOX has ordered nine additional episodes for season two. This time, Cleveland said, “While I’m excited about this news, I really can’t wait until next Wednesday to see an all-new Glee.”

So, while some new shows are still hoping to get through their first season, fans of The Cleveland Show can rest easy. They’ll be seeing new episodes of Cleveland for a long time to come.

What do you think? Is Cleveland worth watching?

Canceled and renewed TV show

21 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Chaos8587 says

@ Anonymous – yes, fox optioned a full 22 episode 2nd season of the cleveland show before the first season ever aired
    @ DUH – Cleveland was a great character on Family Guy but wasn’t getting nearly enough air time, I’m glad to see him in his own show as he was one of my favorite characters in Family guy
    @Nikomi – you’ve got a problem with a talking bear, you like family guy though right, so a talking dog with a higher IQ than the main human character is so much more believable, god stupid people are infuriating, it’s a cartoon, and it’s great for what it is, it isn’t family guy or american dad so stop being a douche and trying to put it up against shows that have been on for a couple years, the first season of both family guy and american dad weren’t great and look at them now, in short, you are an idiot!

2. Nikomi says

this shows sucks bad!! A bear that talks? seriously? the only person i know who watches it is a huge druggie and a loser.

3. Hawk90 says

I think this show rules. It’s a mix of crazy **** humor and a very deep kinda mood. The show is based on very different elements than family guy & american dad, and that might be why some people dislike it. You can’t expect a show to be as huge as family guy, and I seriously doubt that there will ever be a show like family guy in at least 50 years!

4. Gundrick King says

Man Tiberiusduck you are tough.. I reallyy like the show. You can’t expect the show to be as funny as Family Guy that is one of the funnies show of all time. The Clevelend show is very funny. It need to stay on I look forward to it every sunday..If you don’t like it see if you can find something better to watch doing that time on sunday. I bet you change your mind..

5. Tiberiusduck says

This show blows chunks to no end !!! Apparently someone forgot that comedy is supposed to be funny. They canceled “King of the Hill” for this crap? Give me a break. Get ready for this show’s cancellation folks and the sooner the better too. Bring Cleveland back to “Family Guy” I’d say.

6. Gundrick King says

I like the show I think it is kind of funny. You have to give it a chance. Just think when I started watching Family Guy it grew on me. I didn’t care to much for Jerry in his sitcom Senfeild (I know that not spelled right) but I started to love it. I think each season will get better like all of the cartoons on sunday night fox.

7. Nelda says

I think this show sucks. I watched the first two episodes and I didn’t laugh once. This and American Dad need to be cancled.

8. P.G says

I’ve watched the first few epz and I admit its not side splitting hilarious but it had had some really good funny scenes, I think you have to rate it on its own merits and not try to compare it against Family Guy & American Dad, I remember when I first started watching American Dad and I couldn’t stand it, I kept comparing it to Family Guy, comparing the characters the jokes etc, but once I really gave it a chance I appreciated the comedy on its own and Now love it, I think the Cleveland show has the same potential.

9. CP says

I’m a huge fan of Family Guy and American Dad…but The Cleveland Show does not even come close. A few chuckles but no laugh-out-loud moments yet. Very disappointing. Hope the show improves.