The League: FX Comedy Renewed for Season Two

The LeagueFX has decided to order a second season of its semi-scripted comedy series, The League.

Following a group of friends that make up a fantasy football league, The League features the talents of Mark Duplass, Nick Kroll, Katie Aselton, Paul Scheer, Stephen Rannazzisi, and Jon LaJoie.

The October 29th series premiere attracted just under a million viewers but rose by nearly 50% in its second airing. The numbers have leveled off since then, to an average of about a million viewers.

The programmers at FX are apparently pleased enough with the ratings to give the series a renewal, even before the sixth and final episode of the season has aired (tonight).

I think The League should be...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FX has more than doubled The League’s first season order, opting for 13 installments for season two. The next round of The League will kick off in the later part of Summer 2010.

Of the renewal decision, Nick Grad, FX’s Exec VP of Original Programming, said, “We’ve been very pleased with the creative and ratings trajectory of The League and believe it’s an excellent fit with our comedy brand.”

Executive producers Jackie and Jeff Schaffer couldn’t be happier. Jackie said, “This has been a wonderful experience for me and Jeff. Our cast — Mark, Steve, Nick, Paul, Katie and Jon — is made up of some of the most talented young actor-comedians in the business. So much of the credit goes to them.”

Jeff added, “FX has been like the coolest girlfriend you could ever have. They get us, laugh at our jokes, and love hearing us talk about football. It’s a perfect relationship — and we look forward to going steady with them for a long time.”

What do you think? Have you watched The League? Does it deserve a second season or should it have been cancelled?

Lee G June 7, 2010 at 11:34 am

Really funny. Can’t wait for next season!

Anonymous June 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm

best show ever…if there isnt a third season FX is gonna be sued to being stupid

terilynn ziolkowski May 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I loved the show and thought it was very original. I can’t wait for the 2nd season!

corey May 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not let what happened to arrested development happen to the league!

The League is the greatest thing I’ve seen on tv since season 2 of The Office. God save The League

Ted Powenski April 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I watched the pilot episode and thought that this show was going to just be decent but every single week it got better and better. By the last episode I was laughing out loud and yearning for more. So far I have gotten a few friends, my brother and yes, even my wife hooked on The League. If the first few episodes were any indication then we are in for a big treat come season two. This is a great show. Thank you FX for keeping it on the air and for giving me my Sunny in Philly fix too!

Teri April 27, 2010 at 7:48 am

One of the funniest shows ever! We told everyone to watch this and those that listened to us LOVE it too! Cannot wait for the season!

Sal April 24, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Just checking on Season2!! Great show!

Anonymous April 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

fucking brilliant

Mark April 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm

The thing that disappointed me about this show is that I didn’t know about it until just recently. I watched the entire season in one night. It is the funniest show I have ever seen! I rank it up there with Seinfeld and Tosh.0. I can’t wait for season 2.

Anonymous March 17, 2010 at 8:24 pm

this show was so beautifully written and directed. A lot of comedy shows have a few awkward scenes or unfunny jokes, but the league has proven to be immune to that. The ideas are hilarious and novel, and the show as a whole is simply amazing. I don’t even watch football, but it doesn’t matter because all the jokes in The League don’t need you to know anything. It appeals to everyone and is a must-see tv show.

Jamie March 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm

BEST show on TV right now! Can’t wait for Season 2 and many more to come after that!

Aubrey March 11, 2010 at 11:21 pm

This is a real hidden gem of a comedy. I often watch the whole season over on slow days. FX should really get out and let the public know about this great tv series!

norm March 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Hillarious. I am very excited about season two of “The League.” I only hope they continue with the “Mr. McGibblets” feud. Great Cast. Great Writing. Good on FX for rewarding art and comedy over ratings.

jessie March 5, 2010 at 6:57 am

oh my god this is the best show ive ever seen. i cant stop laughing, especially when ruxin or taco open their mouths. genius writers. love it love it love!! cant WAIT for season 2… and i dont even like football!

jessie March 5, 2010 at 6:56 am

oh my god this is the best show ive ever seen. i cant stop laughing, especially when rustin or taco open their mouths. genius writers. love it love it love!! cant WAIT for season 2… and i dont even like football!