The Playboy Club: Creator Wants Show to Move to Bravo

Playboy Club creator Chad HodgeAfter The Playboy Club was cancelled by NBC, Playboy’s Hugh Hefner wrote, “It should have been on cable, aimed at a more adult audience.” Chad Hodge, the TV series’ creator and executive producer, agrees and hopes that the show will find new life there. Hodge is a Chicago native who previously worked on shows like Tru Calling and created CW’s Runaway.

He recently told Out, “I think NBC gave up too soon… Had NBC stuck with the show I think many more millions would have eventually shown up. Those who found the show realized it wasn’t what they expected — it was good. It was entertaining, sophisticated, and dazzling. It dealt with social mores and moral ethics. And it was an intentional guilty pleasure.”

Hodge is hopeful however that another NBC channel might still rescue Playboy Club. He said, “For weeks now, I’ve been saying we should move over to Bravo. This is a fun, sexy, soapy show, and our core audience is women and gay men. No brainer for them. Bravo has wanted to get into scripted programming for years now. I’d love them to pick up the show. If one million people watched our show on Bravo — a quarter of our NBC audience — it would be a runaway hit.”

The show creator believes that Americans are too conservative about sex, but too liberal when it comes to violence. He noted, “What happened? Remember Basic Instinct? Fatal Attraction? The Red Shoe Diaries? We’ve become such prudes… Sexuality is part of life. I’d be more worried about my kid seeing horrific violence than I would about them seeing network-approved make-out sessions.”

What do you think? Is Bravo a better fit for Playboy Club? Would you watch it there?

Micalena November 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I live in Utah,I had to watch it online because they wouldn’t air it. I don’t understand why this show was such a big deal, there is worse on TV. I actually liked the show, and am upset that it has been yanked off air. I hope Bravo picks it up. I’m getting tired of so called reality shows.

Garrett November 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Please let this be true!!! When I heard about this show I thought “what a stupid idea” and wasn’t even going to watch it, especially since I usually watch CBS shows. But somehow I ended up there on that first episode and I was SHOCKED!! I was hooked BIG TIME!! I will definitely be a loyal fan if it goes to Bravo.

Kristi November 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I would love to watch it on Bravo!!! I loved the show. The era was hard to beat and i loved the story line. The actors were great and I was never disappointed in any of the episodes. I am a conservative person but i thought the show was very classy and tasteful. I don’t think there is anything wrong with expressing your sexuality. I would love to see it picked up on a network like Bravo. I wouldn’t miss an episode. Come on pick it up!!!!

rosalie November 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Please pick up the show?? I’m left with that feeling of wanting more, to know what is going to happen. I fell in love with Nick Dalton and that Maureen chick, she is so adorable and I like her character. I love the story and I am also digging the mob son looking for his dad. He is hot. I love Carolyn, so classy. The story is awesome I would be a fan and would never miss a show. I am a 26 year old single mom who enjoys Jersey Shore, this show is different and nice.

Kris November 4, 2011 at 4:54 am

I really do hope Bravo picks up the show it would be great! I really enjoyed it, it grabbed my attention from the start, it’s disappointing to get into a series and for it to get cut off with no explanation. So I seriously hope the show gets picked up because it does have potential.

Jane November 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Don’t really watch shows on NBC because there weren’t many shows That caught my attention. First time NBC proved me wrong and got me hooked after the first episode, it’s canceled! I had it set to record and was wondering why is was no longer recording, even searched for it in the menu guide and couldn’t find it. I finally decided to search on the web to check what’s going on and was very frustrated and disappointed to find out it was canceled. Never felt like this before over a tv show, playboy club is a very entertaining show! Love it! The people who prostestes probably didn’t watch a single episode and just assumed it’s a bad show because of its title. There are worst shows with more
violence and more sex and stupidity. Please put it back on or atleast sell the first season Already so I can buy it.
Jane 26

Franni November 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Please bring back the show any channel will do! I already had my DVR set up to record the show and I’m missing it very very much! I am soo tired of starting new shows, getting into them just to have them canceled on me. Case in point anyone remember October Road, that went through a whole season and a half then got canceled. Bravo please correct NBC’s mistake and pick up The Playboy Club; my DVR is waiting to record it!

Shannon November 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Please bring it back! I’m all ready addicted to it! How can cbs have shows like 2 broke girls (which I LOVE!) but nbc can’t have the playboy club??!?! I even got my mom to watch it and she loved it! Playboy Club is a hit! I hope someone takes it soon so i can see the rest!!!!

missy November 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I was so into the show and then it just gets dropped like that! It was the only good thing to watch on basic television! Everything is so Blah on Mondays! :(
I hope Bravo does pick it up I enjoyed watching and so did my husband!(WOW) all he likes is sports! But it was great! I wish this show the best. :)

Lily November 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

Loved the show! Bring it back! Come on Bravo!

Darlene Bordelon November 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I agree…I hope that the creators will get the show aired on some network…any network! Please!!!

janelle October 31, 2011 at 6:13 pm

YESSSSSSSSSS! 3 episodes was all it took for The Playboy Club to become my favorite show, and they cancelled it. PLEASE bring it back!

Charles Smith October 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I’ve been hoping that someone would pick this show up, bravo Bravo. My wife turned me on to this show and I have to say we watched it together and I’m a fan…bigtime. I can’t wait to see more eposodes.

EVA October 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

ENJOYED! MISS SHOW, PLEASE MAKE THE SWITCH (ASAP).

Gwen October 30, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I dont care who picks it up as long as it comes back and SOON. I am getting so fed up with network television pulling this. My feeling is, if you have the balls to put it on to begin with ,then hang onto those same balls and keep it on.
We are so tired of the same cop and robber, hospital, doctor, lawyer stuff, same stories just different actors and finally something different , entertaining and a decent story line. NBC needs to let ESPN take care of sports and go back to entertaining the masses.
So , we say go Bravo, pick it up and run with it , worked for Direct TV with Damages. Your gain will be NBC’s loss

lisa October 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

Yes please! My husband and I loved the show and he’s not gay or a women! It is just a great show. We loved the story line, nostalgia, and sexiness of it. We were so dissapointed when it was cancled. I went to watch on my DVR and was surprized to see it not there! And there is nothing wrong with adults watching what they want, I’m a responsable parent ,I closely monitor what my child watches on TV and the internet. That’s why I record my adult shows and watch them when she’s in bed. Please bring it back! Dying to see next episode!