Trauma: NBC Series Returns with 10 New Episodes; Can It Be Saved from Cancellation?

TraumaIn October, NBC decided not to order any additional episodes of the low-rated series, Trauma, essentially canceling the show after 13 episodes. Then, a few weeks later, NBC ordered three additional installments, likely because they anticipated holes in their spring schedule and the show’s producers were able to significantly cut production costs.

The show’s been off the air since November but the network has now announced that it’s coming back. Is there a chance that the show could actually see a second season?

Taking place in San Francisco, Trauma follows a group of first responders who risk their lives to save others. The cast includes Derek Luke, Cliff Curtis, Anastasia Griffith, Kevin Rankin, Aimee Garcia, Billy Lush, Jamey Sheridan, and Taylor Kinney.

The network recently announced that they were cancelling The Jay Leno Show as of February 12th. That means that, when NBC finishes airing its coverage of the Winter Olympics, the network will have five more hours of primetime to fill. That’s good news for Trauma.

Do you think Trauma should get a second season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC has announced that Trauma will be returning to Monday nights starting on March 8th. They’ve also just ordered three additional episodes, bringing the season total to 20. That means that there are 10 new episodes of Trauma to come.

If the new episodes of Trauma can attract significantly more viewers, the show might have a very good shot at being renewed — especially if the show can continue to be produced economically.

At the recent Television Critics Association winter press tour, Angela Bromstad, NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President, didn’t rule out the show having a future and the new episode order is certainly promising.

TV show supportHowever, NBC has plans to beef up their pilot development for next season. The network will develop 10 dramas and eight half-hour comedies. For Trauma to get a spot on the 2010-11 schedule, the low-rated series will have to inspire more confidence than the new shows.

What do you think? Do you think Trauma has a real chance at survival or is it still doomed?

Canceled and renewed TV show

358 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Zach says

This show is way better than ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Those shows got 10+ seasons. This one should get 10+ as well. I mean this!!!!!!!!!

2. David says

I really would love for this show to come back on. With the market down, I want to get busy with more film extra work for an extra income. I need film extra work that’s in the bay area so I can become regular.

3. Debbie Kasinger says

I have been eagerly awaiting the second season, but I did not know it had been cancelled until now. I looked forward to each new episode. Full of action. One of the few shows I really looked forward to.

4. alicia says

agre with them I love the people in the show. was as great as lost………….. please bring it back its way better than grays annotamy. way better love the action

5. Anonymous says

Trauma is amazing keep it on! WHo cares if it gets low ratings look at Arrested development it had low ratings and now there making a movie about it. I say bring trauma back

6. soulcop83 says

This is an excellent show and if NBC is smart they’ll renew it it showed the a fresh take on the whole medical drama genre besides I’m tired of doctor’s, cops, and lawyers let someone else be featured for a change.

7. Marshall Fry says

This show is great!! I watch it on netflix all the time. I think I have decided a career path!! Keep making more episodes please!!! Great show!!!!!!

8. Paramedic85338 says

As a Paramedic, this was the best medical drama since Emergency. We still watch it on DVD and enjoy it every time we watch it. This series should not have been canceled, but it seems that is the way it always goes, viewers want to see house wives, not the people that save lives. Very sad.

9. Steven Yetton says

this show is the best out there for medical dramas, i have always wanted to be a part of the medical field but not sure where. this sparked my likeing of the trauma depatment and would love to work as a paramedic. KEEP MORE SHOWS COMING!!!