V: ABC Cancels Sci-Fi TV Series; No Season Three

V season three canceledSadly, the Visitors aren’t among us any longer. After two short seasons, ABC has cancelled their V TV series.

A reimagining of the original V, this series tells the tale of what happens when an advanced alien race arrives of Earth professing their desire to help mankind. Fortunately, not everyone trusts them. The second season features the talents of Charles Mesure, Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans, Joel Gretsch, Laura Vandervoort, Logan Huffman, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, and Scott Wolf.

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for a 13 episode second season. The network was hoping that the show would catch on and the ratings would improve.

Should V have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later reduced the episode order to just 10 installments and debuted them mid-season. Unfortunately, ABC’s gamble didn’t pay off. Season two of V ended up averaging only a 1.9 in the demo and 5.49 million viewers.

Though the network and producers maintained that the show was still in contention for next season, it was clear that there would only be a third season of V if ABC was willing to gamble once again. In the end, they weren’t.

ABC confirmed today that V has been cancelled after two seasons and 22 episodes. The series finale aired on March 15th and, unfortunately, there were lots of unresolved cliffhangers. Hopefully the producers will someday share what they had in mind for season three.

What do you think? Are you sad that V won’t be returning next season? Why do you think the series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

iris August 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Crap. And that is what happens when the mighty “dollar” is everybody’s god.

ongamo irving August 8, 2014 at 7:24 am

what dyu mean no Sn.3 u guys just broke my heart….u gotta bring it back

Natasha July 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I JUST finished both seasons on Netflix. I don’t have cable and hadn’t heard of this show before. I’m so dissapointed it is over though…what a cliff hanger. Its to bad the show wasn’t promoted more. I’m so hooked haha.

Also it is to bad because it feels like they were coming to the Visitor’s story on things. Having more characters coming in and more discussion on the V’s side. It’s just to bad.
=(

angela July 22, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I thought it could have used more blood and messy scenes of one of the V’s eating a human. Or maybe a few more scenes of how the V’s really look under the human skin. I found that there was not enough of those scenes. Maybe how the hiarchy worked for the V’s. I found that it didn’t tell enough or show enough about the V’s. Too much of the human scenes. People already know about what humans are about. People are not interested in ourselves. We want to be drawn into a fantasy to give us what is behind the hidden door, not what we already know. That is boring to a viewer.

t'flare July 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Look guys , you treated the series as a second fiddle. Now do it right. Build it up as a major series with top billing , top promo’s and all the works . Then you will get the results you want. You put in what you get back !!!! t’flare

kosso June 8, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I think us fans of sci-Fi are getting used to having great shows like this cancelled for no good reason,how many shows have they put on,only to drop them,i think it started with Dark Angel with Jessica Alba,then we had the Sarah Connor Chronicles,one of the best shows worth watching only to be dropped again for no good reason,now we have V,another good show,again dropped for no good reason,they do it every time,and as Sci-Fi fans we just have to accept it,we have no say in how these shows go,why should they care,they just move onto something else,i too remember the original series,it was ok for the time,but this new season was much better,and this is how they treat us,the Sci-Fi fans,we just have to get used to seeing these great shows,only to see them dropped after a couple of seasons,WHY DON’T THEY ASK THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT!!

Anonymous July 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Amen

Jennifer Banfield June 7, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I really hope one day they make a season three and an ending to it I grew up in the 80′s and I thought this remake was awsome . Please finish it one day

salami yusuf May 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

ahhhhhh it shouldnt have ended this way pls we need season3 so that we knw the outcome pls we beg you we need season 3 this v series is more than not having season 3 and i knw thats what my frds outthere waiting for pls erica and anna we need season 3.

SplichO May 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

This show needs season 3, I haven’t even heard of it before 2014 and once I saw one episode of it, I have watched all 22 episodes in less then 2 days, was pretty much watching it one whole day.

Sandy April 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I blame the network for V’s struggle with ratings. I loved the show, but what I distinctly remember is that the network made it so damned hard for fans to follow it. The shows were never available online, so if you missed all or part of an episode, you were SOL. Then there was a period when the show was not aired for several weeks at a time, with no information about what was going on and when it was coming back. That’s a great way to lose an audience. It was a great sci-fi show with lots of potential. It was vastly superior to the 1980s miniseries, both in terms of plot and special effects. It seemed only to lack commitment and vision from the network. This show is worth reviving.

King May 12, 2014 at 11:54 pm

This season 2 was the best . They were getting more people watching it then then they were getting rating their was 10.5b people watching this show compaired to csi and all thay junk thats on fucking 24/7. They need to stop canceling good tv shows. And start canceling csi ,bones and all that fucking crap. Gost hunter paranomal activaty. That shit got to fucking go and bring back our series of V and all the other good shows that was canceled like .Terra nova, Kyle xy and surface witch were all good seasons. They all kept getting pushed out by all those crappy show thanks to csi and bones , etc

Tevis May 26, 2014 at 12:30 am

I watched the first two episodes last night. This was NOT better than the original series, and I see now why it was cancelled so soon. Marc Singer, Fay Grant, and Michael Ironside all rocked! This did not. But, since the 1980s were the greatest decade ever, it’s no surprise.

edward stern April 26, 2014 at 2:50 pm

v was a get tv show . IF you would have put it on a different time or day but perhaps the show was too good for tv . It seems the public wants mindless comedy show and crime series?

laptop repair chingford April 25, 2014 at 7:28 am

I have been watching the show v on amazon instant video as im a prime customer. I had a feeling that this show had been cancelled but decided to show it anyways. After 2 episode I knew I wanted to complete all 2 season of the show. It is a great shame they are not going to
Make season 3 even if its the last season. Surely they can make 1 for season and make it into a boxset and make there money that way.