Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

973 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Linda says

I loved this show!!! What a loss to hear it won’t be given a better chance. Finally a decent show with an awesome plot and once again a great series cut!

2. maxine says

good evening,

i would like to see Dallas return, I enjoyed watching the series from the past come to the future with the children all grown. Please bring it back or try to sell to another network

3. Florence says

The series reminds me of when I growing up, my parents loved watching it and we could get a glimpse of it and has a lovely realistic storyline. Dallas is a classic and I hope it will be renewed. Its a series out if the ordinary.

4. Marshall Upton says

I think if you average four million viewers a episode, then have enough respect to give them what they want , show them the Dallas they want

5. sheila says

I would like dor you to do dallas again i will watch it weather its on cable regular channel maybe why dont you try hulu or nexflix for more season 4 5 and so on really good picture.

6. Shannon Galloway says

Me and my wife are very disappointed that they canceled Dallas again. It was just starting to get really good and if they move to another network we will watch it.

7. J. Culp says

I am hoping this isn’t true. I do not have cable, so I order the dvds. And since I did not watch Dallas in the 80’s I recently ordered all 14 seasons. I was going to order cable in order to watch the Dallas series until I heard it was being canceled. Please don’t cancel DALLAS I love the new DALLAS.

8. Rita Lynn says

I’ve been watching Dallas from the very beginning and I’ll watch it to the end on whatever Network it comes back on. Please bring it back for all of us Fans!! It will make TV worth watching again.

9. Deb weber says

Absolutely. However need to focus more on the younger Ewings and more twist and turns on the blackmailing and drug trafficking. I thought it was just getting exciting.

10. Linda says

I’ve been waiting and waiting for Dallas’ next season along with many of my friends. We keep talking about many of the episodes. I watched many of the past episodes more than once and would even watch them again to hold me over till the next season. I hope TNT or another station picks Dallas up. It’s my favorite show!!!!!

11. barbara says

I grew up watching Dallas and when I heard that they were bring it back I was so excited. I loved watching the show every week . I was so upset when I heard it was cancelled I’m still hoping that the show will come back either on TNT or another network. I really hope to see it brought back because TV right now really sucks with out it. Save Dallas Please.