Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

George in florida July 12, 2014 at 8:51 pm

bring Dallas back, it great, put in on in the summer, less compition

Gail July 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Don’t cancel this show. I have really enjoyed all the drama. Such great acting.

kathy June 19, 2014 at 12:53 pm

best show on . I like it better in the summer . dallas is awesome. even guys watch it !

kathy June 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

please bring dallas back. its an on-going drama series. its also like history. my gosh!, it should continue even thru when the kids are old and gray, and start with there grand children for heavens sake!! don’t you all agree?

NANCY RUNDBERG June 8, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Return Dallas next season.

Shirley May 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I love “Dallas” and upgraded my cable service so that I could watch it. Please keep it on!!

Marianne May 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm

They need to move it back to a Summer show. Too much regular network competition otherwise. I have the whole season on my DVR and will begin watching it in 2 weeks. There’s just been way too much else on to fit it in to my viewing schedule this time of year. I say please send it back to summer. The ratings will go back up then.

Vicki May 12, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I want to see many more seasons of Dallas keep them coming.

Pasadena Tx

Anonymous May 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I WANT DALLAS TO RETURN, IT WAS GETTING GOOD.

Chilly Winters May 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

OMG! This year cliffhanger left me sitting on the edge of my recliner. The actors are outstanding in their character rolls. It would be a shame if the show was not renewed for another season. Please bring Dallas back!!!!!

PJ in Nashville April 29, 2014 at 7:34 am

I agree that this year there are a lot of really good shows on at what seems like the same time each night (I use “On Demand” quite a bit more than ever before to catch up on all of them). But, I don’t miss watching Dallas. As a spinoff of the 80′s version, I think they’ve done a great job. It always holds my interest and I hope the powers that be don’t drop it. It’s a good show and well worth watching.

Margaret in Virginia April 17, 2014 at 10:01 am

please continue Dallas, it is a great show …let there be more seasons …I have just watch the last episode and it said nothing when it would be coming back …I think it is one of the best series TNT has