Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

975 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Marie says

Bring it back,i t holds special memories for me, at my house 9 to 10 cst. Friday nights. We had to see “what scheme JR was up too” Now it is time for Bobby and John Ross to have a chance.

2. Sue says

TNT…Renew Dallas for season 3! It is the best written show on TV. I love it and so does my family. The cast is amazing.

3. Sandy says

Dallas made a huge success in the 80’s. I watched it faithfully every season. TNT brought the show back. I really didn’t think it would be as good. As I continued to watch it every week, I found out that I was totally wrong. Dallas is as good if not better than it was in the 80’s. Maybe it should be picked up by the original network & go back to being on Friday nights. There was never any talk about cancelling when it was on Friday nights & the original network. There is so much more that can be done with the characters & the feud between the Barnes & Ewings. Even though Bobby says that the feuding is over & Cliff can’t hurt his family anymore, there is still the fact that Pamela will eventually find out that her father was framed. There is also the possibility of a feud between Elana & the Ewings because of the way that JR took her father’s land–the same way that he did to Digger Barnes. TNT, if you cancel Dallas, it will be the worst thing you have ever done. DALLAS MUST CONTINUE!!!!!! Dallas is a legacy that deserves to continue through John Ross, Christopher, Pamela, Emma & Elana. Do the right thing. KEEP DALLAS GOING

4. chris says

please renew it
    need to bring back more of JR’s enemies
    where is april stevens
    carter mckay
    jeremy wendell

5. Jennifer Brown says

Please renew! I don’t get to watch it at the time slot it’s’ at because I’m busy putting my kids to bed. However I do make time to watch it later in the week on demand. Use to watch the original with my Mom when I was a kid.

6. Anonymous says

I love Dallas, but TNT needs to order more episodes. The seasons are too short and too long between seasons. It’s a great guilty pleasure to watch, but I’m losing interest because of the short seasons.

7. Big D says

Excellent series, great writing will keep it going for years ! Eternal rest to JR, but his master plan will carry on !

8. JOHN says

YES ithey should bring dallas back for a 3rd season.and it should start this summer 2013 .I love this show so lets bring it back for summer of 2013

9. Rosalind says

Yes, I reallyy njoyed watching Dallas every week. I can’t wait for
    Season 3. John Ross, your a bad boy. Well I guess it’s one of those,
    “Like Father Like Son” deals

10. Nancy Langford says

Dallas is very special to me. Monday Nights at 9:p.m is the best night of the whole week. Please do not cancel Dallas. Please renew and have a Season 3