Dirt: FX Cancels Courteney Cox Arquette TV Show

DirtThe second season of FX’s Dirt series was cut short due to the writers strike. Only seven of the 13 ordered episodes were produced, with the last one airing on April 13th. Fans wondered if six additional episodes would be filmed for the show’s third year to make up the difference. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a third season at all.

Over the weekend, Dirt star and executive producer Courteney Cox Arquette told reporters that the series had just been cancelled by FX. She was attending the “A Time for Heroes” Celebrity Carnival, held to benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

The cancellation doesn’t come as a total surprise. Dirt’s ratings slipped in season two and the season (now series) finale attracted just over a million viewers. On top of that, castmember Ryan Eggold signed onto the CW’s new 90210 series and Alex Breckenridge’s committed to CBS’ The Ex List series which debuts in the fall.

While it doesn’t look like we’ll see the staff of DirtNow again any time soon, Cox Arquette and hubby David Arquette are continuing to develop new projects together. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

48 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Miss Melody says

i’m still frustrated that I got really into these characters and I was left wondering what happened to them. I loved this show! Bring it Back!

2. Betsy says

This was a GREAT show…I am also very disappointed. I believe that this has been the best acting job for Courteney. I like it much better than in Friends.

3. Anonymous says

I hadn’t heard about the show and kind of forgot about it until now = ( What a great show it was! I really love it and Cox’s character, so intriguing and in power. Sad to be enlightened that the show was officially cancelled.

4. hisham harun says

Like the rest of you, I too am totally devastated by the cancellation of the show. Granted, Season 2 of Dirt did seem a tad slow; the episodes weren’t as sharp witted, fast-moving and shocking as the first one, but still, it managed to keep me interested. The flag bearer was certainly Courteney Cox; what an actress she is! I salute her. Don Konkey’s recovery from skitzophrenia and his falling for that young singer just slowed the pace of the show – somehow it didn’t work. And some of the sub-plots were weak too, like the woman who was going for a total make over… However, I have to admit that I was still hooked, and I still enjoyed Dirt Season 2. Sad

5. Anonymous says

I am so sad. I loved this show and wish it would come back. I have watched Cox for ever it seems and love her. She is so talented. This was one of my favorite rolls for her.

6. Meagan says

I loved this show and The Riches. I’m really sad not 1 but 2 of my favorite shows are gone!!! I know it sounds pathetic, but these 2 shows helped me bare the last few weeks of being cooped up in the house after a long winter!

7. says

This is an outrage I was just thinking the other day when the premeire of Dirrt would be and my husband told me he thought it was cancelled. That is the dumbest thing FX could have done that show was great I couldn’t beleive it when I saw it was actually cancelled!! BRING IT BACK!!!! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR S*** TOGETHER!!!

8. Toya says

What the…… I was also waiting for the show to come back and to my surprise it was cancelled. The last time I checked on Nip Tuck it had taken a totally ridiculous turn but somehow continues to run. This is insane! I loved Courtney and loved to hate her character!! … Boo…

9. Jeremiah says

This is the reason I don’t want FX Channel. They get a great show and then cancel it. What is wrong with the people at FX. Very dumb!

10. Lisa says

OMG! I have been waiting for this show to come back and just found out it was cancelled! That is ridiculous! All the great shows get cancelled. That was a great show! Great! I loved Courtney Cox’s character. Nothing like I’ve ever seen her play before! She was great! And… so was the rest of the cast!!! If Nip Tuck can make it then so can Dirt! Please bring it back!

11. says

I can not believe that no one(other network) else was able to pick this up. Just cause ratings were down one season doesn’t mean it would not have rallied the next. It sure had me as a loyal watcher along with my freinds. We would call and 3 way through the whole show!!!!!