Find My Family: Mixed Premiere Ratings; Cancel or Keep It?

Find My FamilyABC quietly unveiled a new reality series on Tuesday night. Like the network’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition series, Find My Family had audience members reaching for the tissues by the box. But, more importantly for the show’s future, how did it do in the ratings?

Hosted by Tim Green and Lisa Joyner, Find My Family helps people reconnect with family members after being separated for many years. The emotional reunions take place on-camera and in front of a place known as the “Family Tree.”

Following the performance finale of Dancing with the Stars, the premiere of Family attracted 12.76 million viewers and a 2.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers look okay on their own but its significant that the series lost about 40% of its lead-in audience. ABC can’t be happy about that.

The real test will be next Monday’s broadcast though. Family won’t have the powerful Dancing lead-in and will expand to one hour.

What do you think? Is Find My Family worth watching or should ABC cut this series short? Cancel or keep it?

Mary Jo September 12, 2013 at 8:27 am

My husband and I usually don’t like the same shows, but we both could not wait until this came on. Then all of a sudden, it was off the air. Please bring it back. There is so much junk on now, a lot for younger people, but for mature, retired people, not so much to choose from. Reconsider and bring back Family Tree.

john boas June 10, 2013 at 4:07 am

The ABC only aired few episodes of this wonderful reality show and cancelled it because of the polls. I watched some of them and I silly thought that was a project to last for years. Even far beyond the USA, specially in war zones where thousands of orphans struggle to find their families. Unfortunately the ABC decided to discontinue instead. Sadness quite of few (or none) TV shows strengthens family values and this was a good one. I hope to see this show coming back one day!

Destria Gladney August 4, 2012 at 5:14 am

Yes, please bring this show back. I really need help because I found out that I didn’t get reunited back with my mother until I was almost four years old. I am in my fifties and want to know who my father was and if I have any other siblings.

Donna Leonard November 20, 2011 at 10:33 am

I say keep it i am a birth mother who has found her son and it was incredible

he is so much like me it is scary

Char October 5, 2011 at 6:47 am

KEEP the show!!

My grandmother left my real grandfather in St.Louis many, many, many years ago and move to Texas. She has now passed and so has my dad (her son). There is only my aunt left(in California) and she’s NEVER known her dad(my grandfather). I would LOVE to find and get to know my family in St. Louis and my aunt would like to know about her dad.

Eric Bawden March 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Congratulations to FIND MY FAMILY and the great service you are providing to promote the positive experience of adoption.

Like your participants I was adopted. I was given up at age 3 months. I literally left my birthmother’s breast and was taken to my new home.
I was 33 when I decided to search, just before the birth of my first son. I didn’t want to leave him without the answers that I missed growing up.

Kenneth W. Gray February 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Just found the show, and have enjoyed the shows that we have seen. Have been looking for the show, back on, and location, but can not find it! If anyone has knows where, and when it is on, please post. thx.

Judy Long February 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Very enjoyable, heart warming show. Really enjoyed watching it, and just waiting to find the show on again.

Heidi February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I would love to see this show come back!!

Linda Klein February 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Wonderful show and a great service. My mother is 86 yrs old and was adopted from the Baptist Home in Waco Texas. She recalls overhearing her adopted Mother talking about how Mom’s birth parents wanted her back because when they turned 18, they wed. She undoubtedly has brothers and sisters. My Mother’s adopted family fled with her to Florida, fearing they would lose her. We wrote to the court in Waco and our letter was returned. Texas seals adoption records so we have gotten nowhere. My Mother has always felt disconnected….it would be the greatest gift if I could do this for her while she is still alive. She has done so much for others, in addition to adopting my brother after I was born. Please do not cancel such a great program and possibly you could help my family too. Thanks so much.

jeff January 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm

What a great show, please keep it. Pulls at the heart strings what a wonderful show.

caroline ness January 13, 2011 at 7:03 am

definately keep such a beautiful show!!!!!!!

Rebecca Dilks December 7, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Keep “Find my Family” as a person who is married to an adoptee who is awaiting to hear from his birth mom anxiously it hits home very close to us.

Rebecca