Friday Night Lights: NBC Wants to Keep Football Drama Alive

Friday Night LightsNBC has heard the loyal fans and wants to bring the Dillon High Panthers back for another season. The question is whether they’ll be returning to the peacock network or moving to one or more other outlets.

Though execs have yet to officially decide if critically-acclaimed Friday Night Lights will or won’t be returning for a third year on NBC, Variety reports that NBC Universal has been shopping the drama to other outlets. Discussions have reportedly taken place with TNT, CW, Comcast, and DirecTV.

One scenario is that NBC could share the program with one of its sister channels, like Bravo or USA. Last year, Law & Order: Criminal Intent moved to USA Network with repeats playing on NBC several weeks later. The deal has been working out pretty well for both outlets.

Another possibility could put Lights on a satellite or cable-exclusive channel. Early last year, DirecTV purchased exclusive US rights to air the supernatural soap opera Passions once it left NBC. After running it on DirecTV’s exclusive Channel 101 for a few months, the satellite TV provider announced Passions would go off the air in August 2008.

[/unformat]

Wherever Lights ends up will likely come down to dollars and cents. Though NBC would like to find a home for Lights, some have suggested that the asking price is quite high. In the unlikely case that a deal can’t be worked out, the series cliffhangers could potentially be resolved in a two-hour TV movie.

But are the series’ demographically-attractive and loyal audience worth the investment of another season to NBC or another company? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Chitty Chita May 15, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I feel feel like doo doo when I don’t get to watch Fnl. .destroy this doo doo inside me. Bring me tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelda Harrison March 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Friday Night Lights is undoubtedly the best tv series on any channel. When is it coming back? The actors, the filming, the writers are all top-notch. Kyle Chandler is one of the best actors alive today.

Melissa March 11, 2008 at 10:59 am

Please bring back Friday Night Lights. FNL’s is one of those shows that make you feel you can relate to what is going on in each and every episode. The writer’s are superb and the actors are remarkable. Please keep one of the few great shows on the air.

Victor Garcia March 9, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Please complete the series and extend it for 1 or 2 more seasons as long as you can keep the same great writers and actors. My wife and I are so tired of the networks starting a series and then deciding that well the numbers are not good enough and discontinue the series. Remember the “9” ???also numerous other series NBC just dropped and left us hanging..Who’s in charge???? Please at least leave us FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

Kim March 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Very Sad this show is not on……..I looked forward to watching it every week! It’s amazing that it was cancelled considering the garbage that is still going on t.v..

Tony March 3, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I think this is by far the best show on TV. Great show for my family to watch. I seriously hope it comes back for a third season

beverly johnson February 26, 2008 at 1:41 pm

This is one of the best shows on at this time – it has football, humor & drama – it is one of the few programs on TV that my husband & I look forward to watching each week. We are very tired of all the “reality” shows & with 800+ channels to watch, we rarely find anything worth watching.