Lie to Me: Is Tonight the Show’s Season or Series Finale?

Lie to MeThis evening, FOX is airing the final episode of Lie to Me’s third season. Will the series be back for a fourth season or will it be cancelled? The answer may have a lot to do with how well the show performs tonight.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. This season has been a different story. The series hasn’t been performing nearly as well and FOX declined to give the series an order for the back nine, leaving the season at 13 installments. That’s often a sign that the network has given up on a series and will just use up what they have left.

So far this season, Lie to Me ranks near the bottom on the list of FOX’s scripted shows, averaged a 1.9 rating in the demo and 5.75 million viewers. On January 10th, a pair of episodes averaged a 1.6 in the demo and 5.46 million viewers. Based on those numbers you could be pretty sure that the show’s fate was sealed.

Should Lie to Me get a fourth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

But then, the next week, Lie to Me registered a 20% gain in the demo. Last week, it saw an astounding 39% gain — moving up to a 2.5 rating and 7.67 million viewers. That represents a season high for the drama. If the series can sustain that rating tonight, it could be encouraging enough for FOX execs to greenlight a fourth season.

Despite the low ratings, the producers certainly don’t feel like the network has given up on Lie to Me. In a recent interview, showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportCary also indicated that tonight’s finale goes to the heart of Lightman and Foster and their strong emotional bond. He noted, “We’re very happy with it. We think it will make the fans only more hungry for a season four.”

What do you think? Will Lie to Me be back for season four or will it be cancelled? Will you be satisfied if this is the end?

sally thurtell August 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Why would Fox cancel one of the best shows on TV? What a mindless decision! There are few shows to watch with the combination of both great acting as well as original content. Lie To Me needs to return for another season.

Debbie in WA August 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Great show. Each episode was well done and thought provoking. Tim Roth is superb. I actually began to watch because of Kelli Williams having liked her in The Practice. Was pleased to find another show worth watching. Please do consider allowing it to continue with another season.

Sharen Dasta August 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I just found this show and think it is one of the greatest, I watched 35 e in about 4 days and I want more. Telling my friends and family and they are starting to watch them to and we have fun talking about how he sees everything in their faces and bodies. Get rid of the reality shows, to many of them. I won’t watch them. This is more of a reality show, teaching people how to do it to. Called LIFE and how to get along with other people.

Bill August 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm

This was the best show on fox, even though they didn’t give it the attention it needed by moving it in and out of the season with reality shows, What a great cast and stories for us to watch, and the relationships that were developing, now i feel cheated and won’t be watching fox programing for a while, since they only consider reality shows instead of entertainmenet.

sara August 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

dont cancel the show plz keep it going. its a fantastic show

Charlene Heckelman August 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Cancelling Lie to Me is a big mistake. There are so many reality shows — Lie to Me is very thought-provoking and suspenseful. The cast is incredible — how can the series end when it received so many accolades? Please reconsider cancelling this show. Check with Netflix to see how many people have watched it……it’s a gem in the rough — more advertising/promoting is needed to re-launch this show! I certainly hope FOX or another network re-signs this show!

Daniel August 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Lie to Me will Be missed I would hope it could be picked up by another Venue or station.
In all of the 3 seasons I have not missed one episode. The thing Fox does not see is the ability to be different like 24 was does not always equate to the numbers game, but the willingness to be a trend setter, look how the public responded to chuck when it was gone for a while, I WONDER IF IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR INTERNET ONLY VIEWING TO TEST A SHOWS WORTH? YA THINK?

Kevin Neeley August 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

Please don’t cancel it. Or at the very least give it to NBC. A real network!

Cindi July 31, 2011 at 6:44 am

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THE SHOW – IT IS WITTY, INTELLIGENT AND THE CHARACTERS ARE INTRESTING. I agree with others – there are too many cop shows and SO CALLED “REALITY TV” SHOWS that are anything but REAL. Please bring it back

Ian July 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Being in the UK I’ve just watched the final show of S3 and was gutted when the announcer said at the start “the last ever”
We have loved this show. Tim Roth is a brilliant actor (and being British helps:)). Please somebody pick this up and make a new series

Mii July 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

of course it will be cancelled the only shows that make it now days are reality show. TIRED of them!!!!!!

Tanya July 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

My family waits until the live streaming from NetFlix to watch TV series. We have been anxiously awaiting the newest season available. I hope they keep ‘em coming!

Jenny Asanovich July 20, 2011 at 4:14 am

OMG LIE TO ME WHAT A GREAT SHOW !!! this really stinks it was one of the best shows on fox 5 .. BRING IT BACK GRRRRRRRRRRR

Daniel Schroeder July 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I will not be happy if this is where it ends. I finally got through all the previous seasons on video and I can’t wait for more. I feel short-changed by the abbreviated season. Plus, I would appreciate it if they would stop mucking around with the show schedules. Pick a time that is right for the show’s demographic and in relation to the other shows already in your broadcast portfolio. Treat changes in show times as a violation of people livelihood, because it feels that way when a show is ripped away from you, forcing you to cope with the change.

suzi tiffany July 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

PLEASE don’t cancel it. It’s the most intelligent show since “The West Wing” and such a welcome change from procedural police dramas!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen August 25, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love this show, there are very few shows designed to entertain, This happens to be one of them. I do not like shows that have to show every gory detail, I like shows that allows us to use our mind and to try and see what they see to solve the crime, I am a crime drama buff, and I really believe you need to reevaluate the target audience age limit, I am 58 years old and am raising both my disabled grandchildren, the typical American family has gone down the drain along with intelligent and entertaining TV. People in the age brackett you are targeting are not at home watching tv, they are out at the kids soccer game or online with their fb friends. I do not understand how people can be entertained by watching ot.hers eat bugs, etc. reminds me of gladiator times, is that what we are becoming, blood thirsty gladiators, watching gruesome shows with blood gushing everywhere, Trust me I stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy because of that, among other shows, I believe the people that are running the networks, have been raised in this instant world they have forgot how to cultivate an audience.