Life Unexpected: Cancelled? CW Not Ordering More Episodes

Life UnexpectedAfter a season of lackluster ratings, The CW took a chance last May and renewed Life Unexpected for year two. They hoped that the audience would grow this season but it certainly hasn’t.

Season one of Life Unexpected averaged 2.0 million viewers and a 1.6 rating in the network’s target demographic of women 18-34. This season, the show’s lost more than half of the demo audience, averaging just a 0.7 rating with 1.53 million viewers.

As the network’s lowest rated show, CW execs asked for a couple additional scripts but didn’t order them into production. Life Unexpected is the only series on the network that’s been limited to 13 episodes this season.

While The CW has not officially cancelled Life Unexpected yet, it’s impossible to imagine that they’d renew it for season three. The ratings have just gone too low. Series creator Liz Tigelaar thinks so too. She told the TV Addict back in September that she believed that, if they didn’t get an order for a full season, the show was finished.

The season (likely series) finale will air in January. Deadline is reporting that the writers are treating it like the series finale and will wrap up many of the ongoing storylines.

Tigelaar was skeptical about how fulfilling the end could be. In September, she said, “Obviously if you were doing the end of this story, what I feel the fans want are Cate and Baze together, so that would be a natural series end in someway. Unfortunately, that is not going to to happen by episode 13, at least I don’t think in an artful way. So we’re just going to hope for more and if 13 ends up being our last one we will have some closure, it will feel good and the end, but it won’t be the true end.

What do you think? Should The CW have renewed or canceled Life Unexpected last spring? Why have so many viewers stopped watching? How would you like the series to end?

Kate scott July 27, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I can’t believe this show was cancelled! I have been glued I didn’t know about this show until netflix too! Please bring it back!!!!! It doesn’t have to all be killing and drugs to keep a viewer engaged. My whole family loves this show! Are you kiddin don’t stop a good 1 for lack of good advertising!

elise johnson June 14, 2014 at 3:24 am

i did not know about life unexpected until netflix uk, i actually love it, great storyline, great cast what went wrong why cancel a perfectly good show, was gutted with the ending of series 2 it would have been nice o see how cate and baze got back together, what happened with ryan, and lux and jones how there relationship developed, i thought this would’ve had a few more series. A lot of people loved the show and are sad to see it go, maybe more promoting could have helped with ratings, as the others have said only when seeing this on netflix did they know about it. Shame about the show, but id still recommend it to family and friends! BRING IT BACK!

Pam Hoskins May 12, 2014 at 1:26 am

I just found Life Unexpected on Netflix and love the show. I did not know it existed until Netflix. Why was t it advertised like other shows? They should start this show again. I can’t believe people did not watch this show, but if they were like me I did not know it was on. Most people watch shows on demand or Nextflix after they have aired!! I love the characters also!

Linda April 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I think the problem is not the ratings it’s promoting the show. I didn’t even know this show existed until I started watching NetFlix. I am in love with this show, it saddens me to know that there will not be a season 3. I think you should fire your promotors and promote the show better and start on season 3.

kara January 5, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I love the show love!, and its so disappointing its cancelled. I know im kinda a few years late but i never even knew it was a show till a month a go. Please make more episodes

shawna December 24, 2013 at 12:25 am

I didn’t realize this show was on the air until Netflix and I am extremely addicted…please keep this going..I laugh, I cry, I can relate in so very many ways..it is so good and has blown me away..more so than the Fosters and that show is great as well..please try one more season.. don’t give up just yet..yes I’m begging but thank u for listening to my whining.. dreaming about another season of life unexpected..

Sincerely,
Shawna

Jj August 27, 2013 at 12:50 am

I watch the show with my daughter on netflix
Im upset to here there wont be anymore
I love story line and characters except the fact that lux keeps getting away woth everything. She needs a good punishment once in a while
Please write and air more

leann hay August 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I don’t think life unexpected should have been canceled! I loved that show and it had a lot of valuable points throughout the show to adults and teens! the show was amazing and I wish something would come back that’s related to it with the same characters or something come on really why cancel a great tv show! SPINOFF OR SOMETHING

melodi July 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I really wish they wouldn’t have stopped it I love it

Derek July 7, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Hey im a guy that usaully dont watch these shows but I love this show!!

Rylie September 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I love this series and i really really want it to continue. I think it has a lot of things that people can relate too. They just need to get it on more channels and the ratings will pick up. Nobody knows about a series until its already started. Please don’t cancel it.

Angela August 11, 2012 at 7:04 am

So hooked. Bring it back!! It’s not too late.