Medium: Episode Order Cut; Next to Be Cancelled?

MediumLast week, CBS gave full season orders to all five of its new shows. The network execs have now cut the episode order for the veteran Medium series. What’s going on? Is Medium next to be cancelled?

Starring Patrica Arquette, Medium premiered in 2005 on NBC. The series ran on the peacock network for five seasons until it was cancelled. Because CBS produces the drama and it’s a syndication success, the eye network picked it up for season six and paired it with compatible Ghost Whisperer. The latter was cancelled last May after a decline in ratings but Medium survived.

This season, Medium has seen a significant decline in viewership. It’s averaged just a 1.3 rating in the prized 18-49 demographic and 6.2 million viewers. That’s a drop of 35% in the demo when compared to the same number of weeks last fall.

Medium is currently the network’s lowest rated show, by far. Fridays are a tough night to draw an audience but a 1.3 average is still very low. CSI: NY, which airs at 9pm, is averaging a 1.8 rating.

Based on Medium’s poor ratings and the success of the other CBS programming, it’s not surprising that the network has cut the show’s episode order for season seven. The cast and crew will make just 13 episodes instead of the traditional 22 installments. You may remember that CBS did something similar with Numb3rs last season and cancelled it in the spring.

This represents Medium’s smallest season in its history and will almost surely will be the drama’s last. CBS will likely replace it on the schedule by midseason.

On the positive side, if this is indeed Medium’s final season, producers will presumably have enough time to give the series some kind of closure.

What do you think? Is it time for Medium to be cancelled or are you still hoping for season eight?

gerri January 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I love medium and all the cast don’t cancell it PLEASE

Ana January 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Cancelling Medium was a big mistake. I loved this show. I followed it from NBC to CBS. I was excited when I hear CBS picked it up. Shame on you CBS.

denise January 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm

my tears are added to this post I have watched from the first day, even took a break from planning my mother’s memorial service to see the season open on Feb 3 2009! I wrote in this past spring when the program was on the maybe list, and was delighted that it received a repreive from the chopping block. I will miss this show cannot imagine they can reinvent the wheel in terms of finding another show with twist and turns and unique ways of making things come to a conclusion even to this last weeks show! My sister and I were trying to figure out how this can be resolved in a realistic fashion…they did it!

Karen January 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

This show . . . .the only show on television that show a ‘normal’ family; getting the family up and ready for school, jobs, conflicts – all around the fascinating character that IS Allison DuBois? . . the acting has been first rate from ALL cast members from the very beginning. The show has remained fresh and exciting and I can’t wait week to week to see the next episode. There are so very many TV shows that just waste space and time – WHY take off the handful of shows that convey ALL that TV can and should be?

debby wales January 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Medium is an exceptional show. It seems like everything to destroy it was done. First for at least two years the season began after the super bowl. Then it changed times, then networks. With all the changes it never had a chance. Loyal fans followed, new people that would have become interested were lost. I’ve seen failing shows go to tbs and tnt. I assume it’s too late for Medium. To bad. I’m watching less and less of network programming because of this.

Trish January 7, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love “Medium”. My daughter and I look forward to watching it every week. Please keep it on. Patricia is one of the few actrices that looks like a normal woman.

Linda Horn January 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I agree CBS SUCKS !!!!! they have canceled my two fav. shows. I have watched Allison and Joe raise their girls from day one. Big mistake to cancel this and Ghost Whisperer two shows with family values love of community…..they both had many shows with current issues…greif and loss are unfortunatly a very BIG part of life !!!! I can’t tell you how many times Allison and Melinda both showed me that there is life after death. After loosing my 13yr old daughter to murder…I identified with soooo many of their story lines. Hope CBS falls on their face…it’s all about the almighty dollar…can’t take it with you when you go !!!!!

ann dawson December 30, 2010 at 5:21 pm

i amm so saddened that Medium has not been on the lst two or three fridays. I have lost 2 children and medium gives me hope, because i know that an afterlife exists and patricia
arquette and her husband joe are wonderful. i love her daughters and especially bridget, as my daughter whom i lost was named bridget… please do not discontinue that show it is such a positive influence, because it shows how a family cooperates with each other in spite of a lot of difficulty. i can feel the love they have for one another. i wish i could see it not only once a week but every night. thankyou, ann dawson

Linda Horn January 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Ann..I to have lost a child so I know your pain…it’s like we were made members of a private club that we didn’t apply for !!!! my Mandy has been gone 17 yrs I miss her more than words can express. As time goes on people expect you to forgrt…get over it…what a joke how do you get over loosing someone who was such a part of you !!!! If you need a freind would love to chat. lj_nurse@hotmail.com…God bless you and your family

Shelly December 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Come on……this is ONE of the only shows I now watch on TV. It’s humorous, family orientated, a mystery, the actors are so real….this show is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR, especially now days. PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW ON!!!!!!

Lindsay December 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

My husband and I love Medium! Its difficult to be around on a Friday night to watch it so we always use dvr. Why not just change the day it is on? I think its one of the only shows that shows a strong family with good values. We would be very sad to see it go.

Marlane December 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I LOVE the Medium… I’m not always home on Friday night but I DVR the series and wouldn’t miss it for the world. I didn’t watch Season 1 but bought it on DVD a little while back. Why do the networks ALWAYS seem to cancel the shows with a great story line and good clean family entertainment? PLEASE CBS… KEEP THE MEDIUM!

laura December 26, 2010 at 4:57 pm

One of the finest shows on tv. Medium is well written and acted. Hope everyone e mails and calls CBS shows have been saved in the past this way.

Lisa December 24, 2010 at 5:46 am

I have enjoyed Medium for many years. My husband and I get it on DVD because we both work a lot and can’t always watch it at that time. If this is cancelled we will really miss it!

Susan December 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm

CBS sucks!!!!! They cancel all the good shows!!!!!!!!!! I hope they lose tons of money on all future shows they buy!!!

brian chatterton December 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Medium is a fantastic show. Cancelling it would be a big mistake. Move it to another night.

Marlane December 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I sure agree with Brian! Medium is FANTASTIC!!!!!

Gail Leiken December 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I watch Medium regularly. We tevo it so I watch it when it is convenient for me. Friday night doesn’t make a difference for me. I stopped watching regular series because every time I really like one it gets cancelled. All the other shows are usually junk. I hope you can reconsider.