Medium: CBS Airs the Last Episode; What Did You Think?

MediumTonight, CBS aired the final episode of Medium. After seven seasons and 130 episodes, it was time to say goodbye to Allison DuBois (Patricia Arquette), her husband Joe (Jake Weber), their children and friends. The series finale of Medium is called “Me Without You.”

As the episode begins, we see Allison having an evening phone conversation with Joe who’s at the start of a flight home from Hawaii. Later, Allison is awoken by another call from Joe. His flight is arriving early and then it hits turbulence, and crashes into the ocean. The episode flashes forward seven years and we learn that Joe indeed died. Allison is now a lawyer involved in a big drug case. Her boss, the district attorney, is killed by the leader of a drug cartel who’s on trial. Manuel Devalos (Miguel Sandoval) is the mayor and Lee Scanlon (David Cubitt) is the chief of detectives.

Allison begins to dream about Joe and realizes that he’s actually been alive in Mexico with amnesia. The drug lord has been using him to transport narcotics across the border. She ultimately decides to throw the case so that she can reunite with her husband. She and daughter Marie drive to Mexico and she is reunited with him, finally.

Unfortunately, it’s a dream. She awakes back in the present and Joe is there, as a ghost. He did die in the crash and he tried to send a message to Allison about how good her life will still be, even without him. Unfortunately, her mind couldn’t accept it and concocted a way for him to still be alive. Joe tells her how much he loves her and that the loss will hurt for a long time but it will get better. Though she pleads for him to stay, he needs to go.

The scene flashes forward to 41 years later. We see a very old Allison, surrounded by photos of her children and grandchildren. She dies peacefully. Allison appears as her younger self and looks at her now dead body. Joe appears to her, just as he had been. He waited, of course. She asks, “Do I get a kiss?” He replies, “From now, until the end of time.” The two embrace and kiss. They are together, forever more.

The episode ends with brief scenes from the show’s seven year history and each castmember silently saying goodbye to the camera and faithful viewers.

What do you think? Was this a satisfying conclusion to Medium? What did you like or dislike about it?

Simone April 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I LOVED this show and, like the others, I did not realize it was being cancelled. I had a slight detection that might be the case when I watched that last show with all the bits they did at the end with each character. I guess I was just hoping that it wasn’t the case. I thought it did well in the ratings, so I am really not sure why it was cancelled. Every episode lured me in like a fish….hook, line and sinker. So sad it is gone……sniff-sniff.

Lymerick April 6, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I was very disappointed in the “Medium” finale. It did not make any sense, and it did not blend very well with the long run of the entire series, except for the fact that she could see the dead. To kill Joe off and then jump forward 7-years and be given some hope that he may actually be alive, only to discover that that too was a dream, then to be thrust into the future again, only this time it is 41-years later, just so we can watch her die, so that she and Joe can finally be reunited in the afterlife. I hated it. It would have made more sense to give her one final great mystery to solve, and in the process of her dreams we could get a glimpse into her future with Joe and the girls. What was so wrong with that? It makes more sense, and it made for much happier fans. I’m beginning to think that what fans think really doesn’t matter anymore.

Dejah April 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I am missing Medium! I think they blew it by ending it at all! Why? that was one of the best shows on TV! My husband and I were watching the last episode and wanting to cry knowing it was the last one…

Heather March 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

I just watched on the final episode on my DVR. It was so depressing. I loved this show and the characters and I hate that they killed Joe and had Allison live out her years alone. It kind of ruined the series for me. I hate when series try to show us the characters years from now. I wish they had ended it on a positive note in the present.

Lindie April 2, 2011 at 4:39 am

I agree completely.

Lymerick April 6, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Agreed.

Becky March 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What did I think? I think it sucked so bad there are no words to describe just how bad!! WTF?? Kill off Joe? Does television not allow for a happily married couple to exist? This actually ruins any chance of my enjoying reruns of this show! Thanks for nothing.

Tim Williams March 28, 2011 at 10:59 am

I did not want the show to end!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was one of the best. I have not seen the final episode. I hate the stupid reality shows. I hate who screwed who and got a baby type show.

sandra vogel March 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

this show was one of my favorites,i looked forward to watching it every week.Well again another great show is cancelled to make room for more stupid reallity shows .Medium will we missed very much,all the people who were in this show were all great.Goodbye to another great show ,to me, it was right up there with the shows Lost ,Prison Break and 24.

innoko_bird March 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I absolutely loved the series! I thought the ending was great. I can’t get Medium where I’m at in Alaska so I purchased the shows on iTunes, downloaded and watched them when convenient for me on my iphone. I just watched the finale last night and am still bawling my eyes out. I really liked the ending. All good shows must come to an end and their endings are always controversial. I liked this one, though. What especially made me happy was to see that the little memo in the ending messages that said that the real Allison, Joe and kids are still living happily. God gave everyone certain gifts.

Connie March 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I had no idea the series was ending. OH MY GOD how can I live without Medium. It will be so missed. I think the ending was as good as it could be, but man I’ll miss the Dubois family.

Carol March 16, 2011 at 7:28 am

I am like the others, I didn’t realize it was the series final show (I had recorded it and was trying to get caught up) anyway, I even checked to see why this one aired 1-21 and I didn’t have any more episodes. I checked the info and saw that it was the last show. My family really enjoyed the show and will miss it greatly. I didn’t like that Joe died, but was happy at the end when I knew they were together again.

Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I just finally watched the “final” episode of Medium I had recorded on my dvr – so disappointing! I’ve been a faithful watcher and am sad to see it go. I will miss the DuBois’!!

Kas April 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I agree with you Tal. It was horrible. It like they had no better idea then killing him. It was a stupid decision. Is it possible that anothey station will buy the show and make the 8 season?

Tal March 14, 2011 at 4:49 pm

It was horrible..just horrible..cant even go back and watch the previous seasons cause with every episode ill know he is going to die…Very disappointing.. Oh wow they manage to squeeze some tears..but they killed it…really killed it..why the hell couldn’t there be a “happily ever after” finish?

Anonymous March 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I just saw the ending from italy…im so confused…why the abrupt end of the show? i can’t imagine going to bed without this show~!!!!!!

Mike March 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I liked the way they ended the show, I just did not like the fact that they ended the show. This was a very class act and I am going to miss it very much. They managed to have a prime time show with out sex, vulgar language and nudity…Wow! It can be done.
I want the DuBois Back!!!! Too!

Diane March 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Soo totally disappointed. Didn’t even know it was really the series finale until just now. To be honest when it ended, I was confused. I’ve checked my DVR every Friday evening to see NO Medium. So I decide to check the website tonight and I find this out. Really sad and disappointed. Such an awesome show! I want the DuBois back!!!!