Men in Trees: What Happened to ABC’s Anne Heche Drama?

Anne Heche of ABC Men in TreesABC surprised more than a few people when the network renewed Men in Trees for a second season. Great, but where did it go?

Marin Frist (Anne Heche) is a best-selling author and relationship coach who helps women find the right man, using her own life as an example. On a plane trip to attend an Alaska conference, she finds out that her finance has been cheating on her and realizes that she doesn’t know as much as she thought she did. Marin decides to stay in the remote town (where the ratio of men to women is 10 to one) so that she can truly learn how to find and keep a good man, and write a new book. The cast also features Abraham Benrubi, Emily Bergl, Seana Kofoed, Suleka Mathew, Derek Richardson, Sarah Strange, Cynthia Stevenson, Lauren Tom, James Tupper, and John Amos.

Men in Trees debuted on September 12, 2006 on ABC. Trees followed the Fall debut of Dancing with the Stars and attracted over 12.1 million viewers. The second episode lost a third of the audience and attracted just over eight million in its regular timeslot. Despite a season of ratings ups and downs, ABC renewed Men in Trees for a second year on March 21st.

Men in Trees
has been off the air however since March 8th. ABC pulled the series to make room for the debut of October Road. Trees was originally scheduled to return on April 12th but ABC has reworked its schedule more than once, delaying the return each time.

ABC has now announced that Trees fans will have to wait a whole longer to see new episodes — probably five months. The remaining five episodes of season one will now be part of Trees’ second season, bringing the sophomore year episode total to 27.

Though frustrating and unusual, this isn’t unprecedented. Grey’s Anatomy and Boston Legal both had 27 episode sophomore years. There have been rumors that ABC may change their mind and decide to air the rest this season. We’ll keep you posted so stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Darlene June 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Please bring back the best TV series ever-Men In Trees. I seldom watch TV because crime and violence is all that is on. This was a refreshing break from that and restored my faith in TV. It was one of the best TV shows ever.

jhoanna November 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

bring back Men in trees,please!!!!!!

CeCe July 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I’m STILL waiting for the return of this fabulous series! One of the very few intelligent, entertaining shows in a wasteland of murder/crime series. Please listen to your viewers, networks!

Tuning out until television improves.

linda schatte June 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

i really liked that show men in trees why cant they put it back on instead off some of the crap thats on now

Marilyn Burdekin January 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Hello, what happenned to men in trees. I have been looking and looking for the start up of a new season. Why would you cancel such a great show. I have no idea. Let me know if it is starting again and could you put previous episodes on abc.com. I really miss it. Thanks

Anna Baker February 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hi, I am delighted that I am not the only one who is crying out for the return of Men in Trees!! It was a fantastic series and I curse whoever in their wisdom decided to pull the plug!!! We pay the tv licence and for digital tv, surely we have a say?????? Bring back Men in Trees!!!

PS – Please let me know if it returns or repeats!!!!!

Marina November 15, 2009 at 8:18 am

What happened to this show? I love it, I keep searching for new episodes on internet as they canceled it in Spain at the begining of the second season. They should really consider bringing it back. It was a great success in Spain.

andrea Burton November 8, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I loved “Men in Trees”! what happened ? ABC needs to consider bringing it back <

Mary Branham October 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I agree with Margaret’s comment from October 12th! Men in Trees disappeared without any fanfare and was my favorite show! Interesting, intelligent and funny! What’s not to love? : )

Margaret MacFarlane October 12, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I just read the Administrator’s comment to Terri. Why doesn’t ABC (or another network) bring it back. Forget about “October Road’ (dull) and I happen to really dislike HBO’s “Hung”! The tv show “Medium” was picked up by CBS when it was cancelled by NBC. Can’t our requests be passed along to someone in the marketing network? TV viewers could be given an option to vote on bringing back MIT. Thanks.

Margaret MacFarlane October 12, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Friends and I have been waiting and waiting years for “Men in Trees” make its return. Please bring it back.