Mental: Drama Premieres to Mixed Numbers; Cancel It or Keep It?

MentalTuesday night, FOX debuted a new drama for the Summer months, Mental. So, did the premiere’s ratings make the network crazy-happy or just drive them crazy?

Mental revolves around an unorthodox psychiatrist who becomes the Director of Mental Health at a fictional Los Angeles hospital. Created by Dan LeVine and co-executive produced by his sister, Deborah Joy LeVine, the series stars Chris Vance, Annabella Sciorra, Derek Webster, Jacqueline McKenzie, Marisa Ramirez, Nicholas Gonzalez, and Edwin Hodge.

The series premiered on Tuesday night and finished in third place for the 9pm hour with 5.8 million viewers and a 2.1/5 rating/share among the 18-49 demographic.

Those numbers aren’t that impressive but the drama did build on its lead-in, a rerun of the popular and very compatible House. There was also very little drop off between Mental’s first and second half hours, indicating that most watched the entire episode.

So, while Mental didn’t have a great debut, it wasn’t bad either. As we enter into the Summer months, viewership tends to fall off so the network may be okay with these numbers. But, will people return for subsequent installments? Will FOX give the show a second season once all 13 episodes have aired? We’ll have to wait and see.

So, what did you think? Is the show worth keeping or should it be cancelled?

Liz August 26, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I’m ENJOYING it…I just started watching it on DVD..It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen b4. I really hope it’s brought back for a second season.

NINA August 25, 2010 at 5:43 pm

HOPE THERE WILL BE ANOTHER SEASON,ITS A GREAT SHOW.

Giamba August 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Please don’t cancel Mental!

Danielle August 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

My family and I love this show! My mother is Mentally ill and it was so comforting to have a television show that could somewhat explain what was going on. I am very sad to see this go and I hope Fox comes to their senses and puts the series back on!

k williams August 17, 2010 at 5:23 am

too bad his show was cancelled. the main character actor was superb. the show actually had some content– as opposed to the IDIOTIC ‘reality’ & game shows. Bring it back!

carol August 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

you cancel it and did not hear people and put on other junk. I guess the
only good thing about that is that i will no longer rush home to watch the show
or any other tv because nothing to watch.

Anonymous August 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Don’t cancel

Beth Tillery August 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I just finished the series on CD….it was awesome. I want to see where Jack is going. I don’t want it to quit! What a great show!

Daniel (Asia) August 11, 2010 at 8:56 am

I just watched Mental in Malaysia on FX HD. I hope the producers of this show reconsider their decision to cancel this series. Mental ailments are getting more and more common these days and this series would just be perfect to show the people behind the scenes making the patients feel better and perhaps get cured.

Nidie July 19, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I do hope, there will be a second season for mental. I don’t see why it should be cancelled. It’s one of my top one series. I love it.

Cynthia July 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm

What an amazing program! Please, please, please continue with a second season! There is so much junk on TV it was wonderful to have a show that is smart, well written, directed and briliantly acted! Bring it back!

juliee July 10, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Don’t cancel Mental

Anonymous July 10, 2010 at 4:20 am

I loved the show Mental, and was checking to see why a second season was not in the works. I wish the show “Mental” would come back this fall; it was refreshing! I’m tired of police/detective show overload on every channel!

Joanie June 15, 2010 at 7:39 am

I have commented on this program before. I simply don’t understand why there is such trash continuing on our major networks (not all, like Heroes, and Lost) and then to not even give Mental a second shot, when the ratings don’t show such bad numbers, there are plenty of shows that had lower numbers to start and came up in second and third seasons, why not give this much creative well deserved program another season. It’s both creative, and the ending was incredible! Bring this back, it deserves another shot! Get us out of reality hell!

ram June 14, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Bring it back please? it is also educational for youth like me.