Merlin: Premiere Gets Less-Than-Magical Ratings; Keep It or Cancel It?

MerlinNBC debuted their new fantasy-adventure series, Merlin, last night. Did many people tune in to watch this new take on an old tale? Will it be allowed to run its course or has the magic tale failed to excite viewers?

Merlin stars Colin Morgan as a young sorcerer who arrives in Camelot, a city where magic has been outlawed by King Uther Pendragon (Anthony Head). While there, Merlin learns that he has an important part to play in the future of Camelot and residents like Prince Arthur (Bradley James), maid Guinevere (Angel Coulby), and seer Morgana (Katie McGrath). Others in the cast include Bionic Woman’s Michelle Ryan, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt as the voice of The Great Dragon.

Though many British shows have been remade for American audiences over the years, Merlin supposedly marks the first time a UK drama has aired on a major US network in over 30 years. But, how long will it last?

Last night, Merlin debuted to an average of just 5.35 million viewers for its two-hour premiere, putting it in second place behind CBS reruns. The supernatural show was also in second place for the 18-49 demographic with an average of a 1.4/4 rating/share.

Should Merlin be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That performance certainly isn’t a magical one for the network and the ratings will very likely decline for subsequent installments. Considering that it’s Summer and that NBC hasn’t spent much money to acquire the series, it looks very likely that the network will air all 13 installments of this season.

While the show’s future on NBC isn’t certain, Merlin will continue on nevertheless. The series has been a hit for BBC One and they commissioned a second season last December. Production is expected to begin soon and will film on location in Wales and France. Unless ratings pick up, it seems doubtful that NBC will be buying it.

What do you think? Should Merlin be cancelled before season one even finishes? Will NBC make the second season available to network viewers? So, cancel or keep Merlin?

.. November 8, 2009 at 10:22 am

don’t cancel the show

Jessica November 5, 2009 at 8:14 pm

i absolutely love this show.
i think that they should keep it. :)

Samantha November 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm

You should not cancel Merlin!! The show was great and every one i knew loved it when they watched it. You probably don’t get that many viewers, because I and a TON of people couldn’t find it and what time it was on. i didn’t even know the second season was on until i went on the web site!!!!!!SO THANKS A LOT !!!!!Advertise more and you will get more viewers – I guaranty it!!!!

Brandon October 25, 2009 at 3:24 pm

DO NOT CANCEL MERLIN! EVERYONE WHO COMMENTED ON HOW IT SHOULD NOT BE CANCELLED SHOULD SIGN A PETTION! THEN, YOU COULD GIVE IT TO NBC, AND SHOW THEM WHAT WE THINK!

michael vreeken October 23, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Please return Merlin for another season my wife and I love the show.

Liz from Canada October 21, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Please keep the show. I this day and age, there are very few fantasy shows for kids and familty to enjoy.

Jerry Wilson October 20, 2009 at 7:03 pm

do not cancel the show merlin.

Jerry Wilson October 20, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Please do not cancel the show. It is very intertaining.

sal October 20, 2009 at 11:48 am

Keep this show on..What a relief to watch something other than reality shows and crime dramas…This was a keeper and I cant believe these networks when they dont get the high ratings at first…I agree with some other viewers…Your time slots were changing and no one knew where or when it was on…Dont blame the show..The show was entertaining and I looked forward to watching it every week…Kill the reality shows and crime dramas make me sick…this was great family entertainment…BRING IT BACK

maura October 18, 2009 at 3:57 pm

As soon as a good show comes on they pull it my son and I really enjoyed it

Sierra October 18, 2009 at 7:20 am

PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW!!!! I LOVE WATCHING IT AND MY FAMILY LOVES IT!!!! WE WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IF U CANCEL IT!!!!!

Lumi October 18, 2009 at 7:13 am

Please keep this show. my sister and i love watching it. I think one of the reasons that they dont have many viewers is no one knows when it is on. i have been trying to find when it is one for a while know. We had to watch the whole first season on Youtube and the second one on some other website. if you tell people when it is on i guarantee more people will watch it.
Please keep this show, it is such a pleasure wathing it with family.

sheana & family October 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

we love this show.. my whole family please keep it on air

Sue Dobson October 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm

If anyone connected with NBC is reading this, pay attention. Obviously, Merlin had its followers. And I, my husband, my sister, her husband, my friends and their husbands all watched it faithfully. A lot of programs had a slow start in the beginning and went on to be award-winning and very popular shows. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, NBC??? HOW COULD YOU CANCEL THIS ENTERTAINING PROGRAM WITHOUT GIVING IT A FAIR CHANCE??

Chere October 7, 2009 at 5:23 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. I hope NBC brings it back. I know I can watch this with my son and know that I will not have to worry about what he is watching. I know I will be getting the DVD series when it comes out. I think this is a great show to see.