Mistresses: New ABC Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Mistresses on ABC: cancel or keep?ABC has been airing a new drama on Monday nights which follows The BacheloretteMistresses. Has the show been a ratings success? Should it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Based on a British series of the same name, Mistresses revolves around the lives of four female friends and their complex relationships. The show features the talents of Alyssa Milano, Rochelle Aytes, Yunjin Kim, Jes Macallan, Jason George, Brett Tucker, and Erik Stocklin.

Mistresses debuted to a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.40 million total viewers. Even for a summer series, those numbers are soft and unimpressive.

In week two, the ratings actually rose in the all-important demo — to a 1.4 rating — but fell slightly in viewers. Could this be a sign of some positive word of mouth? If that’s what caused the boost, the additional interest was short-lived.

In week three, Mistresses fell back to a 1.2 in the demo and 3.76 million and last week’s dropped again, to a 1.1 in the demo with 3.57 million.

This is despite the fact that Mistresses’ lead-in — The Bachelorette — has been showing signs of growth. Last weeks’ episode of the reality series hit a season high while Mistresses hit a new low.

Unless Mistresses starts rising in the ratings, it’s almost certain that the series won’t be back for a second season. ABC can get the same or better ratings from showing reruns, reality shows, or Canadian imports like Rookie Blue.

So, what do you think? Do you like Mistresses? Do you think it should be renewed for a second season or cancelled instead? What would you do to attract better ratings?

Gina July 4, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Keep it!! Love the show!

Ema July 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Keep Mistresses I find this show to be amazing! Definitely deserve a season 2!!

Shauna July 4, 2013 at 1:59 am

KEEP IT! Watch it on Hulu – what are the ratings there?

Susie July 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I love Mistresses! It’s a really great show with an amazingly talented cast! Please don’t cancel it.

Cassie July 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I really enjoy mistresses, I look forward to Monday nights so I can watch it or, ill watch it the next day, on the abc app or on demand for xfinity, it is hard to watch it when it originally airs! but I LOVE IT

Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Love it! Do not cancel!!!!

Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 3:07 am

Renew renew renew!! I like the show. I watch it on my abc iPhone app the next day because I can’t watch it when it does show! But it doesn’t mean we’re not watching the show!

Billy Martins July 2, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Please Don”t cancelled mistresses please renew it for a second season.

lilkunta July 2, 2013 at 8:53 pm

please DONT cancel it. I like the show.
i watch it live and on demand.

Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Great show.

Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Mistresses is the only new summer show that I like. Not all of us can watch when its on, I watch it later on Hulu. It may not be a family show but that’s why I like it. Here’s hoping it gets a second season.

Sylvia July 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I like the show! But it comes on on a Monday night when I have other shows to watch as well… I don’t see the rush in watching it on tv because I can always watch it online at abc.com! Give the show a shot! This is why abc can’t keep a good show on like desperate housewives because it won’t let it stay on and give viewers a chance to watch! Give it a chance please! Rookie blue sux! I don’t like shows like that! I would rather watch mistresses! Please don’t cut it! We need this “trash” lol!

Why Watch July 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Put it in a can, where trash belongs. I couldn’t bear watching a full episode.

Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

AGREE! It really is very bad! The British version is not bad but they made this version a terrible one! And the acting….. wow how low can you go! Shame!

amanda July 2, 2013 at 10:19 am

I love the show mistresses. It is the best summer show that has come out. It is hard for some people to have time to watch tv especially at 10 at night. Some are not as fortunate to record the show so they miss it. Great show.

gordana July 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

I saw a bit of the show and feel that it is too racey.We don’t need more shows like this .Perhaps it would be time to bring in more decent comedy not garbage.