Motive: ABC Orders New TV Show for Summer

ABCThe alphabet network has picked up Motive, another scripted TV series from Canada. There are 13 episodes and ABC will air them this summer.

The cast includes Kristin Lehman, Louis Ferreira, Lauren Holly, Roger Cross, Brendan Penny, and Cameron Bright.

Here’s the press release:

ABC PICKS UP THRILLING NEW DRAMA SERIES “MOTIVE” FOR SUMMER 2013

ABC has picked up “Motive,” a thrilling crime drama from the executive producer of “Dexter” and “The Mentalist,” with a unique twist focusing not on who did the crime, but why the crime was committed in the first place. The 13-episode drama is scheduled to air in Summer 2013 on the ABC Television Network.

When murder is committed, Angie Flynn, a loving, single mother and a damned good detective, along with her partner, Detective Oscar Vega, are on the case, looking for clues that will lead them to the killer. But “Motive” turns the tried-and-true crime drama formula on its head by indentifying the killer and victim at the beginning of each episode. These storylines are then further explored via stylized flashbacks which piece together more of the mysterious connection between the two characters and what drove the killer to commit murder.

“Motive” stars Kristin Lehman (“The Killing,” “Judging Amy”) as Detective Angie Flynn, Louis Ferreira (“SGU Stargate Universe,” “Rookie Blue”) as Detective Oscar Vega, Lauren Holly (“NCIS,” “Chicago Hope,” “Picket Fences”) as Dr. Betty Rogers, Roger Cross (“24,” “Arrow”) as Staff Sergeant Boyd Bloom, Brendan Penny as Detective Brian Lucas and Cameron Bright (“The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2″) as Manny Flynn.

“Motive” was created by Daniel Cerone (“Dexter,” “The Mentalist”), who executive-produces the show along with Louise Clark, Rob Merilees, Erin Haskett, Rob LaBelle, Lindsay Macadam and James Thorpe. Developed by CTV, the series is produced by Foundation Features and Lark Productions in association with Bell Media and distributed by NBCUniversal International.

What do you think? Does it sound interesting? Will you check it out?

Anonymous August 6, 2013 at 12:21 am

I love this show but show that I love get cancelled! I just love tough, honest type detective shows. My recent favorites are Golden Boy, Women’s Murder Club, Detriot 9-2-1. All cancelled. Now I want FX and TNT for my detective show fix!

Mary Lynn August 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I also am crazy about this show! I love the unique and creative approach to crime-solving. It draws me in from the very beginning and keeps my attention throughout. I also am very pleased with the actors. I hope this show stays around for a long time.

ShawnsGrammy July 31, 2013 at 7:35 pm

This is a great new show. We have watched every show…enjoying seeing Vancouver. We were there recently and our hotel was used in an episode. LOL
Please, rulers of the tv airwaves, don’t cancel this show.

Linda July 31, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I love this show too. She is wonderful in the role….and the episodes are terrific

Betty July 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Love this show. So very entertaining, should last for a long time…

Anonymous July 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Love this show. Keeps u totally entertained. More shows like this , please

Sharon June 13, 2013 at 9:23 am

My husband and I tuned in to see what this show is about. Very refreshing take on the old “whodunnit” – we’re hooked! We really like the idea of revealing the victim and murderer at the beginning, then showing how the detectives solve the crime. The two actors, Kristine Lehman and Louis Ferreira are good in their roles, giving us a slightly quirky attitude not often seen in shows of this genre. However, we have not found it listed with ABC anymore – what’s the story there?

Swivel April 29, 2013 at 6:28 am

Have to say I was peeved with ep 10. Catholic Priests are PRIESTS not Pastors. They could have got that correct. Otherwise great show and worth watching (even with big errors like that).

laura March 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I have watched the first six episodes that have aired on CTV in Canada so far. It is a GREAT show and a great concept. I love shows like Castle that take the show to solve who committed the murder, but this show definitely approaches it differently. Each episode has not disappointed…definitely makes you want to understand why people commit these crimes.

sharrein March 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm

GREAT SHOW. use to watch all the law and orders. like that this one finishes in one episode. smart dialogue

Anonymous May 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Smart dialog – seriously. So old and fake acting. Horrible show – won’t last long if it keeps that up.

LB January 31, 2013 at 7:59 am

CTV is airing the first episode on Sunday – after the SuperBowl. Looks really interesting so I’ll be checking it out.

sandi jurgensen January 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm

will check it out

Carrie January 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

ABC didn’t order 13 episodes – they picked up the 13 episodes made by CTV in Canada.

denise smith January 30, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I like the idea of the show, I’m going to have to watch it, I like Lauren Holly.