My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

alex April 30, 2012 at 10:06 am

please bring back my name is earl. it is a hilarious show with good values and characters you fall in love with. I feel like it has enough fans to get it back on the air.

Schweizer Fan April 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Schweizer wollen Earl, die Welt will und braucht earl.
Und ein cliffhanger zum abschluss …..
Alle Wollen Earl

triniman April 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

we need more……….. come on men, i love this show, i use to love to watch katalina jump jump jump, and crabman with mr turtle. Hey Earl! Hey Crabman!

Callum April 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Bring out a new season of my name is earl please

Lumpy April 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Watched all the episodes on Netflix and I really need to know who Earl Jr.’s real dad is. I’m very disappointed to find out that the show was canceled. :( No fair. Bring it back. That would be the smartest decision anyone’s made ever. And it also needs the same cast. It just wouldn’t be the same. I need to find out. Asap.

Violet April 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I just finished season 4. I just did the same thing! They just left it a mystory. I love My name is earl It makes me feel better about myself Joy Is my favorite person. She is like the mo I want to be, well I want all my kids to have the same daddy, but, “My name is earl” Is a great show it shows people that no matter who they were it don’t mean that is who they are always gonna be.

ruth April 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

watched all 4 seasons on netflix in a row couldnt stop watching im in love with this show its unfair for them to leave off like that and not make a season 5!

tara April 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm

If I had a network I would sign them. It is a great show and still hoping to see it come back! perfect cast and need to stay together!

Jake April 2, 2012 at 9:36 am

Bring on Season 5!! Nothing irritates me more than a cliff hanger to end a perfectly good series!! I need to know who Earl Jrs. Really daddy is!! Please!!

Dawn March 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I did the same thing, watched all 4 seasons on netflix and could not wait to see season 5! What the heck?! It is so unfair! I wish they would bring Earl back! And I LOVE Joy! I watch them over and over even though I have already seen all the episodes more than twice! BRING BACK MY NAME IS EARL!!! Who can we write to about this???

Joe March 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Please give us at least one more season. Earl must finish the list, plus we all have to know who Earl Jr’s dad really is. Watched all 4 seasons on Netflix and loved it. Kinda figures though, finally something I’m not embarrassed to watch with my children and they cancel it.

michael March 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

watched it on netflix loved it wish their were more episodes. they should start the show back up with the same people in in it.

karen March 26, 2012 at 5:02 am

ditto, just got a chance to see seasons 1-4 in it’s entirety please don’t leave us like that :(

Jose March 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Please Bring Earl, Randy, Joy, Katalina, and Crabman back!!!!! :( Season 5!!!!

jbe March 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm

want to watch more My Name is Earl!!!!! want to see season 5 come out come on PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pompa March 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

We love Earl! We hope another network picks it up. It can end like that. What happens to Earl? Who is Earl Jr’s dad? So many questions. Karma has to make it happen.