The New Adventures of Old Christine: TV Show Cancelled, No Season Six?

New Adventures of Old ChristineAfter being on the bubble for several seasons, CBS has finally cancelled The New Adventures of Old Christine. There’s a chance that it may be saved by another network but odds would have been better if this had happened in previous years.

The New Adventures of Old Christine follows the challenges of Christine Campbell (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) , a neurotic single mom who has a hard time finding a relationship and juggling her responsibilities at home and work. Others in her life include her low-key brother, Matthew (Hamish Linklater); best friend and business partner, Barbara (Wanda Sykes); young son Ritchie (Trevor Gagnon); irresponsible ex-husband, Richard (Clark Gregg); and his current love, “New Christine” (Emily Rutherfurd). Often popping up to make “Old Christine” feel even more incompetent are “mean mommies,” Marly and Lindsay (Tricia O’Kelley and Alex Kapp Horner).

After being part of CBS’ Monday night line-up for two seasons, Old Christine was used to help establish a second comedy block for the network on Wednesday nights. Unfortunately, the experiment wasn’t a big success. Old Christine was barely renewed last season. As there had been in the past, there was talk that ABC might pick it up if CBS had actually cancelled the show.

This season, Old Christine’s numbers have gotten worse and CBS decided to abandon the Wednesday night comedy hour. As a result, the network decided to finally cancel Old Christine.

In past years, Old Christine was attractive to ABC because they weren’t having much success with their own sitcoms. This time around, they already have a well-established night of sitcoms and several new options waiting in the wings.

Still, there is some talk of ABC picking up the series. As of today, the execs at ABC and Warner Bros. are trying to work out the numbers. The deal that Warner Bros. can offer is likely being impacted by how much profit new episodes will bring in syndication.

Last summer, Warner Bros. sold the Old Christine syndication package to Lifetime for some ad time and about $350,000 per episode (compared to 30 Rock episodes which went for $800,000). The sitcom was also sold to local stations in most of the US markets.

Reruns will pop up on cable and local stations in the fall. It remains to be seen if new episodes will be on ABC.

What do you think? Should ABC rescue The New Adventures of Old Christine? Where would you put it — with The Middle, Cougar Town, or someplace else?

Patty March 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This was was hilarious! ABC should definitely think of getting it back on the air. The re-runs on Lifetime surly have millions of views.

Nora March 21, 2012 at 8:00 am

Please bring Julia Louis-Dreyfus back she’s very funny and the rest of the cast are wonderful too. I own the first 4 seasons and can’t wait till season five
comes out on DVD!! Pick it up ABC i miss Julia!!!!!

Claire April 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carol March 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Love this show

Anonymous March 16, 2012 at 4:04 pm

great show bring it back !!!!!

Sandra February 26, 2012 at 5:02 am

We want Christine back!!

Samantha February 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

Omg I can’t belive they cancelled this show! I mean come on..look at the shows out there now! You want to tell me THEY are better than this one? Sure there are some good ones, but man, there are some bad ones too! Christine was SO funny and when they added Will from Will and Grace…perfect comedy match. So why should I be surprised they cancelled it? There is no female comedian out there funnier than Julia Louis-Dreyfus and it was a perfect cast…do yourself a favor ABC and PICK IT UP!

Sandy February 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love this show and wish they would bring it back. Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!

agnes February 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

Please………………..You Have to Listen to People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We want Christine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle Ahr February 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I love this show. I think it is brilliant. I have no idea why it got cancelled. It made me laugh nonstop.

dye keels February 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

bring it back, i love this show.

Mariet M January 21, 2012 at 5:55 am

Finally I’ve found me a good tv show that really makes me laugh! When I feel bad or need to relax, it is the New Adventures of Old Christine that get to me and makes me feel better again. It’s too bad :-(

Gina Saint January 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I absolutely loved New Adventures of Old Christine. I don’t understand why networks always cancel the truly good shows that make people laugh out loud and replace them with something that just makes you want to channel surf…Please, please bring this show back!

Lilit January 4, 2012 at 11:08 am

BRING HER BACCCCCK. IT’S RUSSIA HERE)

Valarie November 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm

YES! ABC needs to pick this show back up it was a really good show i dont understand why is it that all the really good shows keep getting cancel and the lame and boring ones stay afloat and also I speak for myself and im pretty sure many other viewers season 5 the way it finished lefted us wanting more so at least do season 6 and finish it in a better way because I still have a lot of unanswered question! btw im guessing maybe the reason why all these boring shows make it is because ABC AND CBS target the older crowd cause im young and I know i hate those channels lol but i hope ya’ll come out with better shows.

Amanda Zora October 26, 2011 at 1:12 am

wow, they really need to keep the show going! I love this show, it’s smarter and funnier than a lot of other shows that are still on TV.

dye keels February 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

really miss the show, shocked it was cancelled, hope they pick it up.