Pushing Daisies: Update on the Comic; A Multi-Media Experience?

Pushing DaisiesBack when ABC aired the final three episodes of cancelled Pushing Daisies, series creator Brian Fuller said that he was working on a series of 12 issues of comic books. His intention was to fill in the gap between what we saw in the last episode and the brief flash forward that ended it.

He teased, “I think the comic book is great, because it has all the characters in it, and it starts a new story. It’s basically Chuck, Ned, Emerson and Olive versus 1,000 corpses, so it becomes a zombie movie, but the zombies are articulate and smart and can do things that no other zombies can do. The Pie-Maker versus 1,000 corpses.”

EW’s Michael Ausiello recently asked Fuller for a Pushing Daisies update and he said, “Issue no. 1 will hopefully be out in early 2011, issue no. 2 is being colored as we speak, and issue no. 3 is being written.”

But this may not be just a typical comic book series. Fuller added, “Our Emmy-Award winning composer Jim Dooley and I have been talking about giving the audience a multi-media experience with the comic —- specifically a score. We have no idea whether we can actually afford to do an actual Pushing Daisies comic soundtrack (because the cast has agreed to sing songs and those licensing fees are expensive), but Jim has already started composing musical cues that we will either release officially or stream for freesies online when the comic book is published. I’ve already heard the track for Lee Pace’s cover-diddy and it’s fantastic.”

Last year, Fuller said that, if the first dozen issues are successful, he’d be open to doing more.

What do you think? Would you be interested in purchasing the Pushing Daisies comics? Would a multi-media approach make you more likely to give them a try?

Canceled and renewed TV show

29 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Aline says

Don’t get why they cancelled the show anyway, it was and still is the best show I’ve ever seen and I miss the stress-releaving effect they had on my exams… eagerly waiting for the comic to come out!

2. aly says

i NEED to have more Pushing Daisies! one of my fav shows ever. i dont care if its comic movie show WATEVER!!! must. have. this. story line.

3. Chuck says

It’s early 2011, where’s my comic book!? I really wish they would give more information on a release date, I need my pie maker fix! I miss the show so much but this would help fill the void, please!

4. divadana says

Love, love, love the show!!! Please return it to tv, if not ABC maybe the Sci-Fyi channel, I’m ok with the comic book, the characters were a great team!!! Thanks Netflix for making my favorite tv show available to me at anytime! :o)

5. Sarah Fox says

I loved this show. I the two seasons on DVD and watch them all the time. I wish they would bring the show back but until then bring on the comics!

6. RMac says

I would buy the comic and persuade other to as well! FANTASTIC show. Thrilled to learn that Fuller, as his own pie-maker, will be touching it and bringing it back to life!

7. Casey Cason says

I can’t wait! I’m a new fan to Pushing Daisies and just realized that this gem only aired for two seasons. I want more! Bring on the comics!

8. jim dandy says

I was so sad to see this show cancelled. probably my all time favorite series. it sucked that the end had to be a rush job. i’d buy every single one of these comics

9. jd says

i would definitely read this comic book series or graphic novel. having a soundtrack would add to the appeal as well.

10. Pat Boone says

Just tell me where I can buy it! I loved, loved, loved the show. It was the smartest show to hit T.V. in years. So sad to see it gone.

11. treehugger says

I looooooved the show! I was doing a happy dance in my head as I read this article! of course I’d buy the comic!