The Big Valley: Peter Breck Dies at 82

Peter Breck  on Big Valley The actor best known for playing hot-headed Nick Barkley on The Big Valley TV series has died.

Peter Breck was 82 years old and died on Monday, February 6th. He passed away after a long illness in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he and his wife Diane were longtime residents. According to his widow, Breck had been in the hospital since January 10th.

Born in Rochester, NY, Breck served in the US Navy and studied drama at the University of Houston. He appeared in several film and stage productions during his career, but worked mostly on the small screen.

He had recurring roles on Maverick and Black Saddle and guest-starred on dozens of others, like 77 Sunset Strip, Perry Mason, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Fantasy Island.

Breck took great pride in his work on The Big Valley and was with the show for all of its four seasons, starring alongside Barbara Stanwyck, Richard Long, Lee Majors, and Linda Evans.

Of his time on the show, Breck wrote, “What a great ride that show was – wonderful people to work with, good writers & directors, exciting guest stars and scripts that were worth doing.”

What do you think? Did you enjoy Breck’s work? What are some of your favorite memories?

Carolyn February 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

It is with great sorrow to learn of the death of Peter Breck (Nick Barkley) while
watching an episode of The Big Valley. I am a fan of the series from the
60′s. I admired the character he played and the individual he was.
Sincerest condolences from a sincere fan.

Lisa February 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Peter Breck was a true talent and enjoyed by so many
He will be forever remembered by his character the tough cowboy, a true cowboy on the Big Valley.
Rest in peace

Carol Robertson February 13, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Enjoyed Peter’s great acting. He truly was talented. I will think of both Peter
and Diane when I watch Big Valley every day. Thank you for your friendship.
I appreciated all the messages I received from them. He was a great person
who will be remembered as one of the best “cowboys” of all times!

tina February 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’m very sad that he’s know longer with us. He did a wonderful job on the big Valley. He alway’s made me laught when I would watch it. He was also on the Dukes of Hazzard and played a bad guy. you will be missed. R.I.P Peter.

Bethany February 13, 2012 at 5:40 am

RIP Peter Breck You passed in a very honorable 3. You will be missed.

Don Dressel February 13, 2012 at 12:35 am

I have been a big fan of Peter Brecks since I watched him on big valley back in the sixties! He was always my favorite cowboy. The world has lost another fine actor and man!

Pat Vedenoff February 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Do any of you know if Peter owned a Corvette in the mid 60s. During “The Big Valley” days? My Dad worked on ‘vettes in our garage. I think Peter was at my house.

Robin Anderson Casteel March 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Hey Pat, this is your old friend Robin from Hawthorne. I remember your dad working on famous people’s cars at your house (didn’t he fix Steve McQueen’s car from Bullitt?) Sorry, but I don’t remember if Peter was at your house — but I wouldn’t doubt it!

Pamela February 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Peter Breck was a very strong, versatile actor. He was very memorable in The Big Valley. He also seemed to be a fine human being in real life. He will be missed.

Charles February 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Peter Breck was in my opinion the backbone of the Big Valley. He truly was the right guy for the part of his caracter “Nick Barkley”. He really was a great actor, witty, colorful, and quite talented. He deserves to be credited for his recognition over the years. God bless you Peter, and all the wonderful memories you brought to so many of us in America over all thoses good years. I hope to meet you in my second life. Goodbye for now. Charles.

william February 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Liked Nick a lot on Big Valley. It was a good series. he will be missed.

Elyse February 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ah, sigh, another familiar face is gone :( RIP, Peter. You and the rest of the Big Valley gang gave me hours of great entertainment.

kim February 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

so sad to hear i haven to season of the big valley my favorate show my heart goes out to the family from edmonton — canada

J. Naughter February 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

Peter Breck was a better than average actor and the role of Nick Barley could not have been played better by any other actor. “The Big Valley” was a very under-rated television show, as time has shown. Rest in peace Mr. Breck!

Gay Goucher February 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your lose. I watch Big Valley everyday on the Inspiration channel and enjoy seeing Nick show off his temper to the bad guys. The world really has lost another great talent.

Juan Padilla February 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

Great actor. loved his character on the Big Valley, he was truly one of the best TV cowboys!