The Martha Stewart Show: Cancelled, No Season Eight

martha stewart show  canceledEven Martha would agree that this latest news isn’t “a good thing.” The Martha Stewart Show has been cancelled after seven seasons on the air.

Hallmark Channel has opted not to renew the daytime show due to high production costs and low ratings. Martha averages only about 225,000 viewers.

On the positive side, The Martha Stewart Show will remain in production and new episodes will continue through April. Stewart and her staff are planning a lavish series finale which will air in May. Reruns will continue to air for the remainder of the season, through the summer months.

Distributed by NBC Universal Domestic Television, The Martha Stewart Show debuted in first-run syndication on September 11, 2005. The series moved to Hallmark in the fall of 2010 as part of an overall deal that included a commitment from Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSLO) to produce original new series and specials to compliment Martha and the rest of the cable channel’s lineup.

Hallmark initially scheduled an eight-hour block of Stewart programming but the ratings were poor so it was quickly scaled back to five hours.

The cancellation news was first reported by the NY Post. In response, MSLO’s Lisa Gersh told employees via email that the company will continue to do business with Hallmark, “we are currently exploring programming concepts for Martha Stewart and other MSLO brands beyond this fall.”

At December’s UBS investor conference, Gersh said, “Our expensive studio lease is expiring next year, and we will either bring television in-house or find lower cost space, which will significantly reduce our TV operating margins.”

The fate of Hallmark’s other MSLO-produced shows is still up in the air — including Emeril’s Table, hosted by Emeril Lagasse.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Stewart’s show has been cancelled? Did you follow it to Hallmark?

Canceled and renewed TV show

104 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Christine says

I am very upset over the cancellation of the Martha Stewart Show. There is no other tv show that can compare to the very talented and creative staff of Martha Stewart. This is a very big loss to artistic and creative people everywhere. We need more shows like Martha Stewart and less of those stupid reality shows that are so pointless.

2. says

I think your NUTS Martha Stewart is the best I love her shows. Ive been watching her for 40 years plus 20. Please do us all a favor an take off Marie Osmond she cant compare to MARTHA. When Marie comes on i turn the channel. When you bring back martha ill be BACK. But for now forget It. I loved her specials of Halloween and Thanksgiving and especially Christmas. Please put them back on especially the Christmas one with her Mom and her neice Sophia. PEASE TAKE OFF MARIE OSMOND. She dont know how to cook or do craft projects. Where do you think i got my ideas from MARTHA SHES GREAT BRING HER BACK ON HALLMARK.

3. Mary says

I am extremely disappointed that The Martha Stewart Show was cancelled! I’ve watched all of her shows religiously for many years and am a great admirer of the good work she does and causes she supports.

4. Anonymous says

Please put this show back on TV. The concept of her show which was done from her farm was a wonderdul show, Please, please put this show on in some capacity.

Thank you for your kind attention on this matter.

5. Anonymous says

What a terrible shame to take such a great show off the air. I certainly hope she will make a deal with another network.

6. Bonnie Good says

I am in total disbelief that they would even think of cancelling the Martha Stewart Show.
    I have watched her for many, many years and total love her!! The new shows stink and they won’t last a season!! You made a terrible mistake!!!

7. Diana Tipton says

It is a very sad thing to drop The Martha Stewart Show. I always looked forward to watching it and I would record it so that I would’nt miss a show.

8. Mo says

Where else in America can we find some one who strives for and achieves excellence in every one of her endeavors? Only in Martha Stewart the person and in all of her undertakings. In a country where “At least I tried” has become the mantra of so many and has created a mediocre – at best – way of life and way of doing business, Martha became the champion of “What’s the best we can do?” I guess we’re just too lazy and too dependent to support her vision.

9. says

This is a personal loss for me. I’ve always felt that Martha was my very own mentor. We have been “friends” since her very first book where she taught how to make a gazillion fruit cakes for Christmas gifts! Friends since the first issue of her magazine. Friends since “The Martha Rules.” Friends while learning new design, color, gardening – on and on. Thank you so much, Martha. I know you have your hand in many other projects and publications but I will miss seeing you each day as the seasons change and new inspirations abound. I’ll be watching for your new endeavors – believe me.

10. Rhonda Dunn says

HUGE MISTAKE! TV has been pathetic for a long time, and this was one of the few things left watching. Same goes for Emeril and Mad Hungry. What are you thinking? please bring it back!

11. karena says

Wow! I won’t have a reason to watch the Hallmark Channel again either. The Re-run Channel is right. Someone has her/his head where there isn’t any daylight.
    The stupidity of this kind of a decision is hard to believe. Of course, we all know that the ONLY thing that matters is the bottom line. God forbid, the profit might not be as large as the greed of the network would like.
    IT’S A SHAME, AND SHAME ON THEM.