The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

james bond January 12, 2013 at 2:49 am

Best show I’ve seen in a long time, very goo actors and a great plot! Favorite TV show!!
must stay on!

Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm

They can’t cancel The River… Me and my friend love it so much. It’s one of the best serials what i and my friend ever saw. The River have to be continued…

jeremy m January 8, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Keep the river going it was a show that kept me watching and I’d always get upset if I missed one show because I was hooked and there was never a replay I think it did poorly on ratings because 1) there was hardly any advertising for it hardly anyone even heard of it or knew what channel it was on it needs more advertising for the show so more people know about the show and 2) there was never any replays of episodes if you missed one episode you were sol because you couldn’t catch uo to know what happened and that frustrates people I think if you fixed those two things you’d get better gratings and more viewers to me the show was amazing from the first episode to the last and the way you ended it makes me beg for another season heck I’ve been waiting all year just for it to return

James R January 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

We loved ‘The River’. Please bring it back! The ending left too much unresolved. Get rid of the ridiculous, brain-numbing reality shows that exploit the dirge of society and create more mentally-stimulating and truly entertaining shows like ‘Surface’, ‘The Event’ and ‘The River’, just don’t leave us hanging! Ask us…we’ll tell you what’s good and why! : )

tarien January 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

The river was the only series i followed i think it must return!!

the gale family January 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm

we loved it

Anonymous January 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Please don’t cancel!!!! I absolutely love the show!!!!!!!! So interesting and so much more could happen!!!

Anonymous January 5, 2013 at 10:02 pm

My grandson and I really like the show and hope it stays on

Yaneisi January 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I think it needs to Come back I absolutely love that show so do my friends I have been waiting for The second season to Air really look forward to that . Please please bring the Back to the show

SHAUN December 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

The show to me was the best if ABC not going to pick it up FOX

MM December 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I can’t believe that they are going to cancel the river that is one of my favorite tv series!!! I will be very upset if it does not come back on!!!

Gina December 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I would love for there to be a season 2. The River was one of the few shows on air that the entire family (3 kids 2 adults) agreed on and watched together. I feel the poor ratings had a lot to do with the time of year it aired. Not too many people expecting a new show to air in February. To answer the question, YES, I want the show renewed for a 2nd season!

Phoebe December 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I think it also is BS is a great show and thank they need at lest get them out of the Amazon.

Malene December 14, 2012 at 2:51 pm

We need a Season Two !!
Me and my friends love The River. And when season one ended we cry :c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The river fans of Norway :D

sophie December 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I think it BS that this show got cut we never found out what happened to anyone and the story was still left wide open it needs to be brought back and ABC needs to not have there heads where the sun doesnt shine because the internet took away the tv series and its so much easier to watch these shows online when it is convinient for people to watch with a busy life style.