The Wanda Sykes Show: Second Week Decline; Cancel or Keep It?

The Wanda Sykes ShowStand-up comic and actress Wanda Sykes recently unveiled her vision of a Saturday night talk show. Is it a keeper or should she stick to The New Adventures of Old Christine?

The Wanda Sykes Show is a late night talk show that airs once a week. It’s hosted by Sykes and her trademark biting wit to a monologue, skits, and interviews. Comedian Keith Robinson co-stars as her sidekick.

The show debuted on November 7th to a 2.2 household rating. According to Variety, that placed the Wanda Sykes premiere 16% higher than the average of MADtv a year earlier (1.9/4) and double the performance of Talk Show with Spike Feresten from last winter (1.1/2).

The first episode was also in part competing against the highest-rated episode of Saturday Night Live of the season.

Last Saturday’s episode wasn’t quite as good. The second episode of Wanda Sykes dropped to a 1.9 rating, essentially matching the MADtv average from one year ago.

A second week decline in the ratings is certainly not unusual and this one wasn’t as significant as it could have been. The show’s future will likely be determined over the long haul though FOX was hoping for significantly better performance from Sykes than what they were getting with MAD.

What do you think? Is The Wanda Sykes Show worth watching or do you wish MADtv or Spike Feresten hadn’t left the airwaves? Cancel or keep it?

op February 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm

this show will be canceled shortly- guaranteed

Danny February 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I love Sykes but the show is bad. Her timing is off, the drag queen looks extremely uncomfortable and the sidekick is dull. I love Wanda but she thrives doing standup, not this canned stuff. It is hard to watch.

Tiffany Greene February 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm

This show sucks…plain and simple

Jared Smith January 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I would like to personally thank FOX because my electric bill will be cheaper when I turn my TV off because of this garbage show. Go Green!!

Mitur Binesderti January 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I wanted to like this show so much but the writing just isn’t very good. Also Wanda isn’t a very good talk host. She’s a damn funny comic but like Chevy Chase she’s not a good interviewer. Being a good interviewer is a talent just like being a good comic is and some people just don’t have it.

Buck Farack January 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Spike Feresten was mildly entertaining. Wanda Sykes Sucks. I say cancel now and replay In Living Color reruns until a real talent can be taped…

Clark Manning January 8, 2010 at 7:56 pm

The show is terrible and needs to be cancelled ASAP!!!

Ronald Rogers January 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Wanda Sykes is the funniest women on TV and we should keep the show, but drop Keith and Porsche. They aren’t funny and just bring the show down.

Brigitte King January 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

The show was great! Somebody has to point out the absurdity of Dick Cheney saying that Obama is soft on terrorism. On this show, Wanda declared herself the “tell people where to go and what to kiss czar” for the Obama administration, and we need her on TV, if only to fulfill that role! The woman is funny, cute, and her humor is intelligent, and if people don’t like her it’s probably because she is over their heads! The bit about where to recycle your sex toys, bringing them to different shops and such, was very funny — better than Ashton Kutcher’s ideas for punking people! Her remark about the solar vibrator probably not being too good on cloudy days is an example of stuff that may go over people’s heads. I have solar panels on my house for heating hot water, and I have to admit they’re not too good on cloudy days. I laughed my ass off at that joke!

Obama Sucks January 4, 2010 at 7:22 am

Cancel it! She’s a no-talent, unintelligent hack. If she didn’t pal around with Larry David and his commie friends, she’d be working in a car wash.

Angel January 3, 2010 at 5:43 pm

This show is crap and anyone that likes it has no sense of humor. Fox has such great shows, i bet they’d get better ratings if they showed reruns of family guy or the cleveland show; rather than this crap. Wanda Sykes is not funny at all. She tries to be like SNL but there’s only one SNL. CANCEL HER

Mark January 2, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Repeats for 2 weeks now???? I think the “Death Blow” has happened!!! (or it is real close!)

Paul December 30, 2009 at 4:08 pm

This show sucks. Funny is funny and this IS NOT funny.

Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 6:03 am

Cancel this crap show.

Anonymous December 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I think she is hilarious. Her monologues are by far the best part of the show; she’s the only person on TV being that edgy and political. I have to compliment Fox on letting Wanda be Wanda.