The White Queen: “Cancelled” by BBC, No Season Two

The White Queen canceled, no season twoEven though Starz just premiered their new TV series, The White Queen, we already know there won’t be a second season.

Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling historical novel series The Cousin’s War, The White Queen tells the story of three very different women as they attempt to scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The cast includes Max Irons, James Frain, Rebecca Ferguson, Janet McTeer, Ben Lamb, Amanda Hale, Tom McKay, Aneurin Barnard, David Oakes, Faye Marsay, and Eleanor Tomlinson.

The show is co-financed by the BBC in the United Kingdom and Starz here in the states. The 10-part series began airing on BBC1 in June and completed its run last Sunday night.

According to Broadcast Now, the BBC has maintained that The White Queen was intended to run just one season. However, Gregory had hinted that there were hopes to continue the drama via an adaptation of The White Princess. That novel follows the story of Elizabeth of York who went on to marry Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

It now appears that a continuation won’t be happening. A BBC spokesperson said, “The White Queen will not be returning, but it is important to note that it was never actually conceived as a returnable series.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that The White Queen won’t be continuing in some form? Are you glad that the story was designed to wrap after 10 episodes?

Anonymous October 13, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love the White Queen.. I’m really disapointed to here there wont.
be another

bev gibbs October 13, 2013 at 9:30 pm

please please don’t cancel this show, we are forming groups to watch it together, its a wonderful series, please have a 2nd season…..

Michelle October 13, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Please do not end the series I love it and would love to see more. I really like that time in history I loved the Tudors when it was on and sad when it didn’t continue on past Henry VIII. I have always wants to see how they had gotten power. Please continue!

nisa October 13, 2013 at 6:24 pm

NOOOOOOOO I LOVE THIS SHOW WHY WOULD YOU NOT BRING IT BACK FOR SEASON 2

Sue October 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Love the white queen. It’s very riveting. I’m so sad not to see it return. I think someone needs to rethink that.

Julie October 13, 2013 at 11:09 am

It was a good show based on real people however not all factual. GO read some real history books on these woman NOT romantized novels.

Michelle October 13, 2013 at 8:17 am

Those of us who know the history know the outcome of the Battle of Bosworth and we know which characters would survive to go on the a season two adaptation of The White Princess. There’s plenty of room to continue so why these stations wouldn’t opt to continue the series is just plain STUPID! Even though it’s a fictionalization of the Cousin’s War, you’re still getting people interested in history! Dr.Phillipa Gregory made me want to learn all I can about these women ever since I read her novel The Other Boleyn Girl! She’s helped start a passion in me for this period of history! Don’t stop the series now! Let others find the same passion I did! Continue it, by ALL MEANS!!!!!!!

Lori October 13, 2013 at 8:07 am

Sooooooooo disappointed! we want Season 2!

Voxx October 13, 2013 at 6:45 am

I love “The White Queen”… Let’s see Season 2! I need to see Aneurin Barnard! ~Voxx~

lainya baraggiotta October 13, 2013 at 1:43 am

Please please bring back my favorite show please don’t get rid of best show yet thanks lainya they should win a award best TV show

michele October 13, 2013 at 1:13 am

They are stupid to cancel. I am reading the White Princess and it would be a great continuation to the series. I will miss the show

Felecia October 12, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I have not missed one show of the white queen. There is still so much to tell in this story. I have read the book and they could have made it longer than 10 episodes. It would be a shame if they did not go for a second season. Too many channels on tv now are only showing 1/2 OR 1 only seaons. You get people pulled into the story lines,then cancel them.

Chris N October 12, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Yeah I have to agree with the consensus here. It is absolute negligence for a “premium” channel like Starz to cancel another great show after just one season (also loved Camelot). I have absolutely no reason to keep starz anymore if they’re going to continue airing good shows for one season and canceling them over your hooked.

Lena October 12, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I can’t believe there isn’t going to be a second season. I am addicted to this mini series and I need more!!! Please reconsider and give us another season.

Shawn October 12, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I LOVE this show!!!! I’m so disappointed it won’t be back for a second season.