Vegas: TV Show Premiere Ratings

Vegas TV ratingsDennis Quaid’s first TV series, Vegas, debuted on CBS last night. If the ratings aren’t big enough to keep the TV show from getting cancelled, will it also be his last?

Vegas follows a fourth generation rancher who’s asked to become the Sheriff of 1960s Las Vegas, much to the chagrin of a Chicago gangster and his business associates. The cast includes Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Jason O’Mara, Taylor Handley, and Carrie-Anne Moss.

Airing opposite NBC’s Parenthood and the season premiere of Private Practice on ABC, Vegas attracted a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 14.7 million total viewers. It was first in its timeslot in the demo and more than doubled the viewership of second place Private Practice’s viewership.

Compared to Unforgettable’s series debut a year earlier, CBS was down by 14% in the demo (vs a 2.9 rating) and down by 4% in viewers (vs 14.09 million).

While the viewership was very impressive, the demo was less so. If it can maintain these kinds of numbers, Vegas will surely be renewed. Unforgettable’s ratings dropped quite a bit and that show was ultimately cancelled — then resurrected for a short run during Summer 2013.

What do you think? Did you watch Vegas on CBS last night? Will you watch again?

bill raese February 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

we love the vegas series and also burn notice

charles gilbert January 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm

We love this show! Theres no vulgar language aand the story’s are fantastic it’s adictive. Please keep them coming.

CB January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

To be true to its 1960/61 era the show should have been more careful about its
year cars……most noticeable was a 1964 Mustang. This never happened on
Mad Men. And it’s not a small complaint…….it’s a big thing.

lmenter January 17, 2013 at 9:51 pm

currently my second favorite show. First being person of interest.

John January 4, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Catching up on the series through U-verse. Hope it makes the cut.

John and Patti December 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm

GREAT SHOW, we NEVER miss, keep them com’in.

Keith Baker December 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I do really like Vegas and I live in Vegas. The two things that drive me crazy are: The show Fremont Street looks kinda like Fremont Street of 1960, but if you know Fremont the buildings are all just wrong. The cars and trucks almost without exception are just too new. This really drives us car people nuts. Also, there was one show with an Air Force OSI guy where his uniform was almost always wrong. Couldn’t tell if he was an officer or enlisted. If this show continues somebody needs to start paying attention to detail, right now they do a really bad job with the details.

Jimmy obrien October 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love the show do not
Cancel great great great

SNAPPS September 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I thought the season premiere of Vegas was good, but not great. I hope this show will get off to being better with a few more episodes. I’ve been waiting all summer and it’s not as good as I’d hoped.

Leanne September 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

I will give the show a chance. I thought the sets and props weren’t quite right. Somebody else has already noticed the 1963 cars in 1960. Didn’t they show the Sahara being next to the Stardust? The Sahara was never been next to the Stardust. Also the sign they used for the Stardust was not what was used in 1960.

Catherine September 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

Very boring and story line was no different than any other story… samo, samo, samo.
A no go for me.

sande September 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I really liked the show. I’m tired of DNA and other scientific ways of solving a crime. This show is old fashioned sleuthing. Also, seeing Vegas the way it was in the 60′s was very nostalgic.

Jon September 26, 2012 at 11:42 am

The Female DA is Carrie Ann Moss from MATRIX fame. She sure looked different and some may not recognized her. Lamb brother is the actor who star in Terra Nova. He is quite likable! YES I like Quaid and Chikis ! Hope the show continue !

mark simon September 26, 2012 at 10:37 am

I was extremely disappointed that the producers didn’t go the extra mile and make the show more believable. As the mobster climbs down the stairs of the airplane, the tag on the bottom of the screen shows Las Vegas 1960 and then he gets picked up in a 63 Lincoln.

Dennis Quaid gets arrested and carted off in a 63 Galaxie with crushed red cloth interior. When is the last time you remember seeing a police car with red seats?? As the car speeds down the street, you are staring right at the gearshift, that just happens to be in park. Next the assistant district attorney pulls up in a 63 Thunderbird with a body style that hadn’t been created in 1960.

I don’t know if anyone else remembers the old TV show called Crime Story, but it took place in the 60′s as well and it was absolutely period correct. How tough would it be for the producers to at least make this show a little more believable.

Larry September 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Some great observations…..
I turned it off after 20 minutes! To use a very old and trite phrase, it was ‘corny’. Questionable plot and script writing – including any number of hackneyed one-liners that made me wonder if the writers really have decided if this new show is supposed to be serious or not. Lots of shows brilliantly incorporate lighter, even comedic moments in their scripts (eg. The Mentalist, Castle, even the NCIS duo) but I don’t think VEGAS pulled that off.
Despite the placement of VEGAS in the line up immediately after two of the most powerful shows on television, it will be interesting to see if over-acting due to mediocre writing, coupled with plenty of close-ups of seriously frowning/scowling faces is what the viewing pubic will want to support for long.

Gary October 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

You are griping because the cars on the show didnt come out til 3 years later? Are you kidding me?

I LOVED the first episode, and I’m sure, as viewers point out the historical mistakes to the producers of the show, this will all be corrected.

Michael October 2, 2012 at 10:15 pm

it is 2012 do you know how hard it is to find period cars like these not in private collection or ownership, give the continuity a chance, to get late 50′s early 60′s cars that are different for every outdoor scene has to be a challenge. I love watching the show just for the vehicles of the era, I restored a 65 Mustang when I was 15 back in the 90′s, 60′s cars were great and my favorite. To rent the cars from private ownership would be too expensive, even though Vegas today is a treasure trove for these cars.

Gary September 26, 2012 at 9:55 am

I had read some bad reviews of Vegas, but I wanted to see it because I like Quade and Chiklis.

The first show was WAY better than I thought, and unless the subsequent episodes really tank, I dont know what show the naysayers were watching.

Besides Quade and Chiklis, the supporting actors, like the actors who played Lamb’s brother, the other mobsters, the other ranchers who helped Lamb, the motorcycle riders, the female DA, mayor of Vegas-all did a good job-although I would have liked it if a slightly younger actor was cast as the mayor.

Overall, it looks like CBS knocked it out of the park with this one!

Nickaru September 27, 2012 at 9:53 am

Like someone else commented, I like it because of old school sleuthing and both Chiklis and Quade are a good rivalry. I’m watching it.