24: FOX Prez Says TV Series May End Soon; No Season Nine?

24Is the clock finally running out for Jack Bauer? According to Kevin Reilly, Fox Entertainment President, this season may be the last for Kiefer Sutherland’s oft-tortured hero.

At the recent TV Critic’s summer press tour, Reilly told iFmagazine that the upcoming season is the last one under the show’s current contract. And while Sutherland remains committed to the show, Reilly is unsure of its future.

“It’s our last contractual season of 24,” Reilly said. “There are a lot of moving parts, so we’re not sure what will happen after that.”

He continued, “We haven’t made any decision whether it’s back or not [after this upcoming season]. The producers are passionate, Kiefer is passionate and we don’t have any of them looking to jump ship. It’s a show we’re really proud of.”

Is it time for 24 to end as a weekly show?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Reilly concluded that, “It’s going to come down to a business decision. It’s not an inexpensive show on the network books and we also want to finish strong. This is not a show we want to prop up. It will be a whole creative and business discussion and something we’ll have to deal with over the next few months.”

Admittedly the show’s numbers have slipped a bit in the last couple seasons — from a high of 13.78 million in season five to 12.62 million in season seven — but did place 20th in overall viewers this year. In the end, it may be just too expensive for the network, especially considering that the contracts are up for renewal. Though the commercials for 24 are, next to American Idol, the most expensive in primetime, the network’s ad sales are also down about 16% from last year.

Reilly maintained that the show might still continue after next year but his initial comments align with the plans of 24 Executive Producer Howard Gordon. He wants to take Jack Bauer and company to theaters and, earlier this year, Gordon said, “My hope is to go [shoot the feature film] after the eighth season. That’s sort of what we’re aiming for. I think that a big-screen 24 will be a fitting send off for Jack.”

What do you think? Is it time for Jack to say goodbye to the small screen? Would you realistically pay to see a 24 movie?

Tristan Spalding March 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I have watched every single episod of 24 and make sure my scheudle is set so that I am home as not to miss any minute of it. It will be a sad day to see the series end! I would though pay to go see a Big Screen production!

Enid Fant March 30, 2010 at 11:39 am

I’ve watch 24 since the first season,it’s one of the best shows on tv, so why would Fox want to get rid of it. Your making a big mistake , so please keep 24 on.

Anonymous March 30, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’ve been a 24 fan since the first season, so why would you want to get rid of the best show fox has ever produce. It’s a very stupid thing to do.

BJ Lambert March 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

Dear Ed,

No offense, but you said 24 is the greatest series on TV, then you want to take away the thing that makes it unique: the 24 hour, real time format.

DJ Stadlman March 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Oh no! Don’t let this be the last season. 24 is the best television series ever. We get everyone around the tv. Can’t wait until Monday. Its called 24 and hamburger monday night. We get a fantastic series and now you want to end it. Shame on you. Keep 24 alive.

Ed Porter March 29, 2010 at 11:15 am

No, No, No it just can’t be so. 24 is one of the best television series ever produced. Your format could be changed so not to have to do a full 24 hour shoot for the full day and give more individual story lines in a season and closures in the season. The writers and cast of the series are wonderful! There is never a dull moment – one is generally on the edge of their seat for the full hour.

I believe that any turn off for any lost audience is due to the commitment of a weekly series that you feel you simply can’t devote 24 hours to in a season. Change the name to CTU and do 60 minute story lines and I believe your viewer ratings will soar.

Good shows don’t come along very often…Great shows hardly ever! Keep 24 Going!

Gator Grad March 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

The concept behind serialized TV is so you’ll be sure to buy the DVDs when they’re released. I enjoy 24 but it seems they’re running out of ideas and the same situations happen from one season to another. Perhaps it’s time to retire the series while it’s still highly considered before having it go out on a dud season. Would I pay to see a 24 movie? Sure… but they’d have to change the title to “2” if they want to keep the real time concept.

BJ Lambert March 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Is he a parole officer? Has anyone asked to see his ID? He seems so smarmy and sleazy. Milo (Elmo?) is a little too interested in Dana’s business. He watches her all the time and I suspect that he is listening to her cell phone calls in his headset.

Carol March 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Will you please get rid of Dana! Terrible sub plot. Looks like she didn’t get blown up with the horrible parole officer. Too bad….

adam elliott March 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm

24 is the greatest show on television. you really have to watch all of them from season 1 to truly understand who jack is and how he’s evolved….amazing writing, and i’d be sad to see it go…with that being said, i’d be the FIRST in line for the movie!

BJ Lambert February 26, 2010 at 8:19 am

I like Miziki’s idea. Call it “24: The Worst Day of My Life” The first line of every episode will be “Two hours ago…” and will end with a heart-pounding cliff-hanger.
All the characters, good and bad guys, should be A-listers. One pivotal plot will be threats and real danger to Chloe. She and Jack are the only ones left. Here’s atwist: Dennis Haysbert (of seasons 1& 2) back as an Army general recruited by………………………………………………………….

Mizikey February 26, 2010 at 5:17 am

lets see a trilogy movie, broken up by an 1/3 of day each time. Obiously the movie wouldn’t be 8 hours long each, but “fast-forwarded” at some parts to make the trilogy equal 24 hours. GO JACK!!!!

CJ February 24, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Been a big fan of 24 since season 1, own all the DVD’s and regularly do 24 marathons, just kick back and watch the whole season back to back episodes…The only way to really watch it, it’s like a train wreck, everytime Jack solves one problem something else is right there to take its place, fast paced and full of action. Waiting week to week to watch tends to slow things down. Not really sure about this season 8, something seems missing, I find myself not caring if I miss an episode. Normally I HAD to watch it. I’ll wait for the season on DVD and then judge it. As far a a movie, it would be worth watching, but for us hard core fans, how do you fit 17 hours of action into 2?

Justin February 21, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Series is still on fire, dont kill a good thing…….PLEASE

Dee February 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Been a Kiefer fan since “Lost Boys”. I can’t wait for each season to start. Please don’t take it off. I’m not sure I would want to see a movie, but I would be a fan of the TV series as long as it runs…..Thanks for a great show.