666 Park Avenue: Finale to Give Closure; Show Sees Ratings Boost

canceled 666 Park AvenueThough ABC has cancelled 666 Park Avenue, the executive producers say that the show is “is building to a powerful and surprising series finale, where all your questions will be answered. We hope fans of the show continue watching all the way to the end of Jane and Henry’s incredible journey to the dark side.”

The live ratings for 666 Park Avenue have been quite poor, the show sees a significant increase when factoring in the DVR data (live +7). November 4th’s episode rose 77%, from a 1.3 rating to a 2.3 demo.

The news frustrated star David Annable who tweeted, “Well this really sucks! You have to give shows time to grow! Nielsen is so outdated!.. We had the biggest movement of ANY show for the week 77% increase with the DVR ratings… I’m sorry but they f***ed up.”

666 Park Avenue TV show supportStill, this info’s not likely to lead ABC to reverse their decision about cancelling Park Avenue. Network president Paul Lee calls the DVR increase “amazing,” but it doesn’t change the live numbers. He said, “It’s wonderful to see the passion [these] shows have… We just have to make sure we monetize it.”

What do you think? Do you think loyal viewers will be satisfied by the last episode? Should the network’s place more importance on the DVR numbers?

Steph November 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

So Last Resort is in a crappy time slot up against Big Bang Theory ( which is in it’s 5th ?? season) and X Factor (yes just what we need ANOTHER singing show) and ABC thinks it’s better to pull a show with an already established audience (no matter how few they say it is) and put on something else like a mid-season replacement. Do they really think that’s going fair any better, probably worse in fact. Didn’t networks have this problem when Friends was on. Personally if they take off Last Resort I will not watch the replacement ! I watch ABC because of Last Resort. Frankly I’m getting pretty fed up with all the networks, they bring out new shows, want you to watch, and if they don’t get the viewers they want they cancel, just as you’re getting into the show. I’m thinking I might stick with the USA network that keeps good shows on.

Kimberly November 26, 2012 at 2:28 am

Seriously, ABC? Such a wonderful show with great characters and rich story lines , but you’re going to just throw it all away. Very nice. Do “the ABC powers that be” even READ these comments? You air so many annoying reality shows, and then you finally get it right on Sunday night (the way HBO used to be on the same night with Sex and the City and The Sopranos) with Revenge and then 666 Park Ave., and you pull the plug on 666 because of an antiquated version of tallying ratings? No, I don’t think so. You need to give this amazing show the time it needs to grow! Try having a little bit of faith for once…, you’ll make the money you need to keep this going. Clearly, there are many, many fans who agree. Oh well. At least we get closure with 666. Thanks.

naomij November 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. The networks never give the shows a chance. It is on opposite FOOTBALL! What do you expect? I swear I will boycott this network. Or pray that cable will pick it up and really may it juicy! Are you listening HBO?

Jim November 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I had no idea that the DVR numbers were not considered. The persons who make the decisions to cancel must realize that there are a lot of good shows on TV and you can not watch everything you like without the DVR.

Jim

Sam November 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Unbelievable crap like the Bachelorette and other reality garbage stay on the air, but shows like 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort get cancelled, I too dvr and I WILL NOT watch 20 minutes of commercial CRAP get with the times ABC even on HULU I BlOCK ALL ADVERTISEMENT come up with a better way to pay for sponsership, and count us DVR people, things like a JOB and Family come first my time is limited when a show is on 39-43 minutes long you honestly think I’m going to sit through a show that is 60 minutes long, BBC figures out a way to run shows with little commercial sponsership seek them out for advice.

Taylor November 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Totally agree Sam. My husband and I don’t watch a lot of shows since so much is reality. Never understand why so much reality tv gets renewed. We started watching 666 and Last Resort and really have enjoyed them. Then we find out they cancelled them both?? We rarely watch anything live……….we have young boys and are so tired after they go to bed that we barely can get through one show without falling asleep. We are thankful we can fast forward through all those commercials.

Jeanne November 25, 2012 at 3:12 am

I too believe they should definitely count the purchases made of the program. I am not able to watch regular tv, thus almost all my purchases are downloads of tv programs. My money trail should count for something… Hmm.

Jen November 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I ABSOLUTELY think they need to include the DVR ratings in their determination of whether a show is successful or not. I DVR everything I watch because I rarely have a time that I can watch TV during the prime time hours without interruption. I watch my shows after prime time when everyone’s in bed and I can relax and focus on my shows without interruptions. Since they only count ratings of live TV, that explains the increase in “reality” shows, sports and dumb pre-adolescent shows.

Samara November 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I am so disappointed that they have cancelled this show – I love it! The DVR #’s should count for more, but the sponsors know that we all skip their commercials! I suggest they do more product placement within each show and have less actual commercials! If they did that, every person who watched the show, including DVR people, would see their products no matter what – then they could feel secure enough to continue to sponsor these great, neglected shows! It really pisses me off that no one is looking for alternative marketing strategies, instead, they just keep cancelling series without giving them the time to build a following! It’s really just laziness on the networks’ part!

Wendy Tracy November 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I really don’t understand how this series got cancelled when there so many other shows that suck BIG time and remain on air..I signed the petition and even called California to plead their case; in spite that I reside in Canada but to no avail..Tis a shame! I will miss it but relieved they are giving us an ending; at least. Wish you would reconsider this cancellation and give this GREAT show another chance and season.

Duane November 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Yes on the DVR #. Remember Nielsen’s # are about 5ooo TV’s at last count I heard. Any small # like that screws millions that watch a show.

dido13 November 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

ABC screwed up major on this on 666 Park is a fantatic show !!! And now I suppose they will replace it with some crap that those few Mom’s will love…unreal….what about the rest of us ??????

Jeff and Keith great points ABC read those and think !!!!!!

Jeff November 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

As many have said here and as Annable aptly pointed out: Nielsens are outdated and f’d up. We live in an age of time-shifting television viewing. The networks need to realize this.

Keith November 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

I DVR everything (1) because I can’t stand commercials and (2) i get up for work at 6am and cannot stay up until 11:00 to watch this. Networks really need to watch DVR recordings and not live ratings.

Taylor November 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Totally agree. Everyone I know uses a DVR.

gigi November 24, 2012 at 2:31 am

I think abc’s decision to cancel 666 Park Ave “SUCK’S” I love the wonderful cast and the great stories that follow every week. I look forward to it & can’t believe such a sudden decision has been made. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE RECONSIDER!
I truely love this show!
Saddened :'(
Gigi

judy November 24, 2012 at 12:28 am

I never have time to catch the show when it airs on sunday because of work early the next day & end up watching it on demand monday night. Like many other people out there who would agree with me, park avenue is one of my favorite shows! I am so mad that this show has been canceled!!!