Are You There, Chelsea?: Cancel or Keep It?

Are You There Chelsea cancel or keepNBC hasn’t been having much luck with their new shows this season. Will their latest sitcom, Are You There, Chelsea?, be the exception or is it also destined to be cancelled?

Are You There, Chelsea? follows the life of twenty-something Chelsea (Laura Prepon), an opinionated and unapologetic cocktail waitress. Her life revolves around her work at Jerry’s Ultimate Sports Bar in New Jersey. She’s surrounded by a unique group of friends and co-workers like Rick (Jake McDorman) the handsome bartender, fellow waitress Olivia (Ali Wong), and quick-witted Todd (Mark Povinelli).

Chelsea and best friend Olivia recently moved in with sweet Dee Dee (Lauren Lapkus), Chelsea’s polar opposite. Chelsea’s dad (Lenny Clarke) has both a big personality and a big mouth, and her sister (Chelsea Handler) is a conservative new mom.

The series got off to a stellar start (by NBC standards anyway) on January 11th with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.18 million total viewers. It was the second-highest rated show in the timeslot — thanks in part to CBS and FOX running repeats — and built on the numbers of its lead-in, Whitney.

What do you think of Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, opposite the premiere of American Idol, Chelsea dropped 26% to a 1.7 rating and 4.21 million. This week, the ratings dropped again, by 18% to a 1.4 demo and 3.8 million.

Chelsea began as the second highest-rated scripted series on the network this season. It’s now fallen to seventh place and with ratings like this week’s, it’ll keep falling in the NBC rankings.

It was, of course, expected for Chelsea’s ratings to drop once it started airing opposite Idol. For now, it’s mirroring the ratings that NBC was getting last January with game show Minute to Win It.

At this point, it’s difficult to say if Chelsea will survive to see a second season or not. If the sitcom can maintain its current ratings for the next nine episodes, it should be fine. If it keeps dropping, there doesn’t seem to be much reason for NBC to keep it around.

But, wat do you think? Is Are You There, Chelsea? a show that you like watching? Should it be renewed or should it be cancelled instead?

C January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Awful show was expecting way more cause I love Chelsea handler but too cliche and not very funny

tony M January 28, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I say keep it , its funny

Bethany January 28, 2012 at 3:53 am

WOW, I had no idea so many people were not up to the task of understanding the wonderful comedic talent in this show. Looks like I will be turning away from yet another time block of tv if this show gets canceled. I like Community fine, but between the two, this show is so much better, and has so much potential. (I am a HUGE fan of Joel McHale and do watch Community from time to time, but never regularly. I have never missed Chelsea, and plan to never miss it in the future if given one.) huh… It just astonishes me that so many people are so negative about it.

Joe January 28, 2012 at 11:06 am

Yes because we can’t understand the wonderful deep humor about her mentioning vodka or wanting to get laid every couple of minutes.

Watch this, this 30 seconds sums up what the show is…

Anonymous January 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm

cancel. the show is horrible, nbc executives should be embarassed.

Trevor January 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Well I can’t stand Chelsea Handler and on that alone I’d vote for cancelling it but I’m a fair sort. I’ve only seen one episode and therefore cannot be a proper judge to it’s fate. I feel it has some potential and may be good for some but it’s just not my cup of tea, you understand.

Watcher January 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Why Aren’t You Gone Already, Chelsea?

Angela January 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Given a choice between this and Community-I say cancel it. It’s not horrible, but I would rather see Community back on the air.

Samara January 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I really wish it was better! But, sadly, Laura Prepon has far too much talent to be wasting it in this role! She plays the part well, it’s just not worthy of her! I hope she gets a successful show that really shows off her immense capabilities as an actor! I love “Whitney”, but “Are You There, Chelsea” just doesn’t have a comedic leg to stand on! They should have just quit when they had to edit the title!

DavidH January 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

The best name for the show it’d be Are you there Chelsea? it’s me talent

Jeremy Rynek January 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

It’s funny, but not quite as good as Whitney. Well it seems like it’s gonna be this show or community, they both can’t survive.

Craig January 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

If it is this show or Community, then I am off the fence. Cancel Chelsea!!!

Joe January 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Cancel it! This show sucks.

Theresa January 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

The show is just plain awful. Chelsea……put yourself out of this misery.

Katie January 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

CANCEL! Geez if I wanted to watch drunk whores, i’d go to a bar-this is not entertainment!

Craig January 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

The only really funny character is Dee Dee, and since she only shows up sporadically, the solid laughs are missing from most of the show. I am on the fence, but if I didn’t have Tivo, I wouldn’t watch it.

Bethany January 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

I absolutely LOVE this show. It is funny, has a great cast, and potential for so much growth. Some people are not of the mind to understand Chelsea Handler, but if you like to laugh, and you know how to take things less serious in this overly serious world we live in, then I can’t imagine how this show could be anything but a huge hit. I just pray they don’t move it all over the schedule so that I can’t find it to watch, like so many other wonderful shows that have come and gone in recent years.

Joe January 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

because it just isn’t funny