Bates Motel: Season Three Renewal for A&E TV Series

Bates Motel season threeA&E has renewed Bates Motel for a third season for 10 episodes. Production will begin this fall.

Season two is currently airing on the cable channel and is averaging 2.33 million viewers each week. That’s down about 15% when compared to the first season’s viewership average.

Here are the details:

A&E GREENLIGHTS HIT ORIGINAL SERIES “BATES MOTEL” FOR A THIRD SEASON

NETWORK ORDERS 10 EPISODES FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS CARLTON CUSE AND KERRY EHRIN

NEW YORK, NY – APRIL 7, 2014 – A&E Network has picked up a third season of the critically acclaimed original series “Bates Motel,” it was announced today by David McKillop, Executive Vice President and General Manager, A&E Network.

“The incredible writing team and talented ‘Bates Motel’ cast has made this series one of the most compelling original dramas on television,” said McKillop. “The brilliant twists and turns of the past two seasons keep its loyal fan base coming back for more. We are so proud of the show.”

Season two premiered on March 3rd with 4.6 million total viewers and delivered 2.6 million adults 18-49 and 2.2 million adults 25-54 (based on Live+7 viewing). “Bates Motel” continues to be A&E’s #1 drama series of all time among adults 18-49.

Season three of “Bates Motel” will begin production this fall on 10 episodes.

“Bates Motel” is a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film Psycho, and gives viewers an intimate portrayal of how Norman Bates’ psyche unravels through his teenage years. Series stars Vera Farmiga in her Emmy-nominated role as Norma Bates and Freddie Highmore as Norman.

New episodes of season two of “Bates Motel” currently air every Monday at 10PM/ET.

“Bates Motel” is produced by Universal Television for A&E Network. Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin serve as executive producers for Carlton Cuse Productions and Kerry Ehrin Productions respectively.

About A&E Network

Now reaching 100 million homes, A&E is the home to 100% original content that inspires and challenges audiences to BE ORIGINAL. A&E offers a diverse mix of high quality, uniquely immersive entertainment ranging from the network’s original scripted series, including “Bates Motel” and “Longmire” to signature non-fiction franchises, including “Duck Dynasty,” “Beyond Scared Straight” and “Storage Wars.” The A&E website is located at aetv.com. Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/aetv and Facebook at facebook.com/AETV.

What do you think? Have you been watching Bates Motel? How long do you think this series should run?

Lori July 11, 2014 at 2:17 pm

This is the best show I have ever watched. Can’t wait for Mondays to come so I can watch bates motel. I wish it came on earlier like at 8 or 9pm but if you have to air the show at 10 then so be it. My favorite show ever!

G. T. May 6, 2014 at 1:56 pm

The series Bates Motel is a terrific hit, I didn’t think I would like it when it first aired but, it is outstanding. Hopefully A&E will keep this show running for many a year. The suspense and drama are outstandingly refreshing compared to many other new shows. Please keep Bates Motel on for many years, thank you.

Rena Moretti May 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Fans of the show may like it and think it’s “terrific” and it’s all to the good, but it’s not a “hit”, not by a long shot.

G. T. May 7, 2014 at 8:29 am

Sorry to disagree with you but, Bates Motel is a hit, a very big hit. You were/are misinformed for some reason. Everyone is talking about it and many people would love to see a movie in the theaters with the all the cast included. Maybe A&E would consider a movie, let’s hope so.

Jim J. May 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Honestly, some people don’t even know that cable shows’ viewership figures are a lot smaller than broadcast shows’ viewership figures (over 2 million compared to 8 to 10 million). Anyone wants a cable show with broadcast-level viewership, let’s see what the broadcast-network-bashing “Rena Moretti” thinks of “The Walking Dead”. Its most recent season (its 4th) averaged a 6.5 rating in the 20-50 demo with almost 14 million viewers.

Frankly, if cable shows’ viewership figures were the same as those of broadcast shows, we’d all be living in the People’s Republic of China, or maybe India.

Rena Moretti May 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Actually, you have just demonstrated why it’s not a hit. The Walking Dead is on cable, and its a hit. It has 5 times the viewership of Bates Motel.

Hit shows on cable can get from 7 to, well… 15 million viewers.

Cable shows don’t have to have low ratings. Those that do are not hits, no matter how many times their network’s PR call them that.

To G.T.: I am not “misinformed” at all. I am actually very well informed, but not by network PR releases which don’t inform but obfuscate.

Jim J. Terrell May 8, 2014 at 12:45 am

Well, actually you never understand anything, A&E is a cable network, too. Lifetime is a cable network. TBS is a cable network. MTV is a cable network. Not every network has the exact same standards of success.

I am so sick of this “Rena Moretti” always complicating things on this site bashing American scripted TV, network or cable.

Rena Moretti May 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Jim J. Terrell: There’s really nothing “complicated” about it, although you do have to take context (promotional budget – lead-in etc…) into account a show with no audience is generally called a flop in the real world (a “hit” in the PR releases until the moment it’s canceled).

What you say about “standard of success” is actually not really something applicable as every network calls what they have on the air a “hit” and declares that’s their standard.

You have to have a real standard, and as you pointed out yourself Walking Dead is on cable and has 5 times the viewership of all those supposed “hits”. Doesn’t that tell you they’re not really hits at all?

I am very sorry, however, you are so upset than I don’t genuflect in front of shows with low ratings and call them “hits”. I would argue, however, that your ire should be directed at the press that fails to inform you by all-too-often presenting network spin as fact.

donna rogers May 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I too wish it could run for more than 10 episodes at a time . if other shows can do it why not this one. but even so , I will be eagerly waiting for the season 3 to begin . I don’t care what anyone says my friend and I can’t wait to watch Bates motel every monday night. It is one of the most interesting shows going and I expect it to be around for a long time. I think the actors and actresses do a fine job.

donna rogers May 1, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I love this show, and hope it continues with season after season for many years to come

don April 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Soo glad it has been renewed for season 3. Can’t stop watching, love the characters and plot twists. Hope it continues doin well in ratings so we can be guaranteed a season 4 and beyond! Think Norma still has alot of life left in her, LOL.

Rena Moretti April 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm

The point I’ve made, and will make again is that it’s NOT successful in the ratings.

A&E executives are renewing it because if they don’t renew shows, then the absent manages above them might notice that the PR releases are empty hype.

Glad at least some people will enjoy it though. :)

karen April 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm

At least several more seasons. Mr. Highmore and Ms. Farmiga both deserve highest accolades and recognition for bringing this unique and compelling prequel to a story that so many of us thought we knew.

Rose April 9, 2014 at 6:35 am

Rena, just because you don’t like the show doesn’t make it a flop. I find it very interesting and the acting is a lot better than on most programs!

Rena Moretti April 9, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Of course not Rose. The bad ratings is what makes Bates Motel a flop.

Neal Donnelly April 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I wonder why some would call it a flop despite the FACT it got RENEWED.

Rena Moretti April 9, 2014 at 5:13 pm

The time when only hits were renewed is long, long gone (sadly).

Now shows are renewed as part of a communications strategy (no I’m not making this up – I’d never have thought Hollywood would become that dumb).

Today, shows are renewed to communicate that you should watch them because they’re hits (when of course they’re not since you wouldn’t have to do that if they were hits) and to try and pretend you have hits to corporate masters who think that if it’s in a news report a show’s a hit then it must be as good as it can be).

Is the Hollywood TV industry on a death spiral. Yes it is. When it stops renewing flops, it can get out of it.

Rena Moretti April 7, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Doesn’t anyone at tvseriesfinale care about publishing the right numbers?

Bates Motel premiered to 3.1 million viewers (not 4.6 – not even close) and is now down to 2.2 million.

Please take the time to check what the PR release says. Those people just make numbers up by adding Lord know what to make them look less embarrassing.

In the real world A&E renewed a flop just because…

Sad and upsetting once again if you like good TV.

Warm Smelly Farts April 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Awesome! But c’mon A&E, order more than 10 eps per season!

Orsak April 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I love the show, but why bother with only 10 episodes?…..With only 10 shows you have to wait almost a year for the show to return…what happened to the days of 25 to 30 episodes per season and only a few months like 3 between seasons..With such a long spell with no new shows, you kind of forget about it……Shame….!!!

T April 7, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Bates Motel is a great program. It deserves a long run.

Rena Moretti April 7, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m sorry to say that few people share your devotion to it. It’s yet another flop that keeps being renewed.

But you may get your wish, since one you renewed it twice, why stop? The press will now call it a it (after all they can’t be bothered to check the actual ratings!)

Shawn May 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

Rena, maybe you should find something decent to watch to take your mind off Bates Motel (which I personally think is a great show like “Homicide: Life on the Street” of old, which is why I’m afraid it won’t be around for long. Great shows rarely are). I’ve been scrolling down this long list of comments and every time someone says something good about it, you can’t help but throw in your two cents. We don’t care if it’s not a “hit” among the general public (like Kardashians, all the “Real Housewives” shows, or anything else) as long as it keeps on keeping on. If you don’t like it or don’t think it should be on cable t.v. then choose to ignore it please.

Rena Moretti May 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Shawn: Sorry if you are upset by reading an opinion you disagree with (well, that Bates Motel isn’t a hit is really a fact but anyway, moving on…), however, I’m not about to give you a heckler’s veto.

Perhaps, instead of insisting only reading things you agree with, you could check out the data and you’d learn something.

There are way worse things in the world that learning a TV show isn’t really a hit even if the press uses the word…

And if you’re worried the network will realize it’s not really a hit by reading this, don’t worry, I can tell you for a fact they already know and don’t care at all.

On a side note, how are all those reality shows “hits”?! Once again, the term is so constantly bastardized by the press it loses any meaning…

Shawn May 12, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Guess I should’ve seen all that comin’.

admin May 8, 2014 at 7:45 am

No one will be banned from this site as long as they engage in respectful conversation. Disrespectful behavior like name calling is not tolerated. Agree to disagree and move on.

Rena Moretti May 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I do appreciate the effort for no name calling. Once it starts, very little of substance can be exchanged.

G. T. May 8, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Wow, I can’t believe that The Bates Motel has generated so much……..controversy? It’s a hit…..No it’s not….Yes it is…..No it’s not, and on and on and……on. Why is the show being dissected like this? In plain, simple English, it is a terrific show with a great following. It’s being renewed for a third season and hopefully many more. The show is not a flop as one person has stated on here but, she doesn’t get it. All the people I know here and other states love it. So the…..person on here who has a beef about the show and is trying to be so analytical about it not being a hit or good series should just move on to another show. Oh, since she doesn’t care for The Bates Motel, she shouldn’t watch it anymore. Have a great day!

Rena Moretti May 8, 2014 at 10:26 pm

G.T.: Maybe you can’t believe it, but you’re the one who still claims that Bates Motel is a hit in spite of the evidence of the actual ratings.

My “beef” with it isn’t so much that I don’t like it (I find it creatively pointless to be honest) but that it (and many other shows) keep being called “hits” when they’re not.

The fact network PR keeps mis-using the word “hit” to signify “show we haven’t canceled yet” does not make it right.

I’m glad for you that they renewed a flop you like (I loved it when ABC renewed Better Off Ted in spite of its really low ratings) but that doesn’t make it a hit show.

Sorry if you don’t like to hear it, but that’s how it is. :)