Charlie’s Angels: Cancelled

Charlies AngelsTo absolutely no surprise, ABC has cancelled Charlie’s Angels after just four weeks weeks on the air. The new TV series struggled in the ratings right from the start.

Starring Annie Ilonzeh, Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor, Ramon Rodriguez, and (the voice of) Victor Garber, the remake debuted to an unimpressive 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.76 million viewers. The demo dropped by an astounding 29% in week two and then another 20% in week three to a 1.2 rating.

Last night’s installment of Charlie’s Angels bumped up a little, to a 1.3 rating, but the increase was far too little to save the show.

Eight episodes were produced before production was shut down and next week’s installment is still scheduled to air. No word on when or if ABC will burn off the remaining three. Two animated specials — It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and You’re Not Elected, Charlie Brown — were already scheduled to fill the timeslot on October 27th.

This marks the first cancellation of the new fall season for ABC. FOX is the only one of the five networks that hasn’t cancelled any shows this fall and it doesn’t look like they’ll need to.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see the new version cancelled? Could it have been saved?

rick October 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’m a huge fan of all things Charlie’s Angels, but the whole Idea of them in Miami and ex convicts and then the one with the fro just really bugged me.. sorry.. If they would have kept it maybe a little closer to L.A. Hello!! city of Angels, and truer to the original maybe it would have done better or maybe not. who knows.. Hey at least it’s good to know the Great Pumpkin has a slot to land on now.. Thanks Angels.

sarah October 26, 2011 at 11:25 am

loved it, huge fan of the movies and was excited to see more. the ratings are bad? its been on for 5 episodes, give it a chance to get out there. personally i need to watch a few episodes of something to get into it and i can watch the same show for hours. you really need to watch the entire first season of a show to judge it. i dont understand how anyone could call it their ‘favorite show’ at the point its at, with so little to go on? they shouldnt have even bothered to air it if they wernt going to take it seriously.

Alex October 25, 2011 at 10:32 am

Even at 4 weeks this show’s run was too long. Should have been cancelled after the pilot’s first commercial break.

Drusilla1v October 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Boo! They were like mini Bond movies, I loved the chick heroes!

Grandizer October 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I saw part of an episode last night… At the beginning they get onto a yacht and take out everyone. And no one sees them… Yet the bad guy makes his escape by diving in to the ocean and seemingly never comes up…

Yeah right…

The girls are no doubt pretty, and I am sure they were skimpy revealing clothing they are all but spilling out of. But the acting was bad, the story I saw last night was bad, and the believe-ability is just not there for me…

I am glad I never saw more of this show.

Nate October 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

The ratings machine sucks and it’s phony too. The show was great and I’m sad to see it go.

Mary Kinser October 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I never miss a show! I really wish comments like this one
could save it. It is exciting and holds my interest. I hope
it can be saved!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly348 October 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Really enjoyed this show. Sad to see it go. :(

Lee October 17, 2011 at 8:56 am

This show was another example of “let’s show lots of special effects, computers, technolody, etc” without any substance to the plot. Why not go old school? Why did we need all that crap? After one episode, we stopped watching this dreck. And Bosley a young Hispanic guy? They should have had a guy who was the original Bosley’s son. Again, technology gets in the way of a good idea.

C.Stewart October 17, 2011 at 8:03 am

Yeah It always happens ..get a show I like and they cancel it..

Meg October 17, 2011 at 7:27 am

I looooove this show!! Sad to see it go! :( ABC has nooooo idea what they’re doing!

Isaura October 16, 2011 at 7:59 am

wow, they should have waited a bit more before pulling the plug. I bet they have some mindless TV show to fill the slot, that should make them happy.

Beth Coccaro October 16, 2011 at 7:34 am

I think Drew Barrymore needs to find a new project to get excited about. I’m not sure why she thought after the movies, that this subject had more area to cover.

LaShawn October 16, 2011 at 4:56 am

I loved this show! I really hate that it’s being cancelled. Please let the remaining taped shows air!

Anonymous October 15, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh, the great pumpkin is on next week…..that is, as Kevin Malone would say, Nice.