Downfall: New ABC Game Show; Cancel or Keep It?

DownfallABC recently unveiled a new primetime game show called Downfall. Will it meet the network’s expectations or will lack of viewers be the series’ downfall.

Downfall lets contestants try to answer trivia questions in the pursuit of expensive prizes and one million dollars. The game takes place atop a 10-story building in Los Angeles. Racing against the clock and a giant conveyor belt that holds their prizes, contestants must answer questions before the prizes go over the edge and crash to the street below.

Hosted by Chris Jericho, the new series debuted last Tuesday on ABC. Unfortunately, the ratings could hardly be considered a winning performance. The first episode of Downfall attracted a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.674 million viewers. That put the show in third place in the demo and fourth place for total viewers. Adding insult to injury, it lost approximately 40% of lead-in Wipeout’s audience.

Though the networks have lower expectations for game shows and reality shows because they’re cheaper to produce, ABC execs cannot be pleased with this performance. Series also typically lose 10-20% of the premiere audience in week two and Downfall doesn’t have a lot to lose.

Six episodes have been produced already so it’s very likely that the network will let them all air. It’s unlikely however that they’ll be ordering any additional installments.

But, what do you think? Is Downfall worth watching? Should ABC make more episodes and give it more time to find an audience or, should they cut their losses and just cancel it already?

Bagits March 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

The fact that they pulled it is fucking ridiculous. People don’t need to bitch about the economy, isn’t that what game shows is about? Escaping for some fun on TV, having a laugh, some entertainment, and an awesome host? Fuck the economy when talking about game shows, in this case, they’re just replicas; why the fuck does it matter.

Jarrell November 25, 2010 at 10:08 am

Hi i think downfall should comeback because it is a neat concept and also bring back i survived a japenese game show and also deal or no deal

Patti September 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I love Downfall!! It is 1 of the best game shows they have had in a long time!!! I really hope they don’t cancel it. Put in on in place of some of the really bad shows they have on right now!!!

Patrick August 6, 2010 at 11:39 pm

downfall is a great gameshow an they couldn’t have got a better host then Chris, ABC would be “crazy” not to keep this show it has me on the edge of my seat every time!!!! “This is just the type of show we need in the world today”

Britney August 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’m tired of people complaining about the show “Downfall” or any other show on TV. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to watch it. So thank you, All the haters out there, thank you for making everyone else suffer tremendously. I HATE WINEY people. So if you are one of those haters that got the show cut off, I have a message for you, “Cry us a river, Build a bridge, get over it, and help those civilized citizens get the show back on the air, ha bunch of winey cry babies, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAH. because honestly we want and are going to get our show backweather we have your help pr not.” Plus if we don’t get our show back I will cry and harrass you until you do so whats it gonna be. I LUV CHRIS JERICHO

Janice Keller July 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I like downfall i think its a good show i hope it stays on its better than that stupid wipeout

Alicia August 1, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I agree

Alicia July 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

I thought the show was great. Chris Jericho has the charm and charisma and knows how to entertain the audience. The show should definitely come back.

j July 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

bring back Japannese GameShow!

Dave July 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I like your thinking Linda. Why not suggest that Chris host the show in a skimpy bathing suit? Would work for me.