Elementary: Debut Ratings

Elementary TV show ratingsCBS has debuted their new Elementary TV series, the network’s take on Sherlock Holmes. Was it a ratings winner out-of-the-gate or a candidate for early cancellation?

Elementary offers a modern-day take on the classic Sherlock Holmes characters. After leaving London and rehab, Sherlock (Jonny Lee Miller) returns to New York where his wealthy father forces him to live under the watchful eye of a sober companion, Doctor Watson (Lucy Liu). An eccentric detective, Sherlock grows restless and resumes his work as an NYPD police consultant with Captain Gregson (Aidan Quinn).

Last night, Elementary debuted to 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 13.29 million total viewers.

This was a positive performance for the new series, particularly in viewership, but the demo could have been stronger — especially considering the fairly lackluster competition (Scandal on ABC and Rock Center with Brian Williams on NBC).

Compared to the season premiere of The Mentalist a year ago, CBS was up by 11% in the demo (vs a 2.8 rating) and down by 2% in viewers (vs 13.56 million).

If Elementary can hold onto or grow its demo rating, it will certainly be sticking around to see a second season.

What do you think? Were you watching Elementary? Will you be watching next week?

Cathy April 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

LOVE this series! Is by far my favorite on TV.

jo February 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I love this show. Sherlock is the best actor he has it down perfect. Does anyone know the last song and artist from the last episode “a giant gun filled with drugs”?
It is the closing scene at the end of show. Thanks.

B October 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Does anyone know what song that is playing in the background
throughout each episode? ~ Not Elvis Costello, but the little tune
that runs throughout ~ what is that song?

Zanne October 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

B, the repeating song is “Into the Trees – Optimist” by Zo Keating

B October 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Zanne, thanks so much for answering my question!!!!!
(it was drivin’ me crazy!) Appreciate it!!!!! :)

Zanne October 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

No problem! I love Zo Keating. Found her on Pandora.

leslie m September 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Loved it! so glad to see jonny miller back (i am still in mourning for eli stone!) enjoyed it all & i normally have no problem with accents but i wish jonny would speak a bit slower–the dialogue is so sharp but the accent at that speed made some parts hard to catch & it is too good to miss!

Katy September 29, 2012 at 3:11 am

The producers need to cut down on the background music. Very, Very difficult to understand the dialogue with all the music. We try again next week.

Benedict Cumberbatch September 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Oh my GOD why does anyone watch these dumbed down American ripoffs???

Just watch Sherlock!

m dale September 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I enjoyed the show, but somehow I missed the beginning explaining about
Holmes’ rehab and why Dr. Watson was his “companion.”

I had great difficulty following the rapid-fire dialogue of Holmes. Thank
goodness for closed captioning. I don’t know if it was the accent, or
simply spoken too quickly.

Could someone please slow the dialogue down a bit for us “southerners?”

Thanks.

Dallas September 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I love this series so far what a clever idea to do a modern twist to an amazing classic I hope it isn’t cancelled.

kevin September 28, 2012 at 10:56 am

I enjoyed this show. I will be watching it on Thursdays until the cancel it. They should have the lineup on Thursday’s Person of Interest 8pm, Elementary 9 and the Mentalist at 10…that would be a strong Thursday night lineup . Put the comedies on Mondays and Wednesdays