Gravity: Starz Cancels TV Series; No Season Two

GravityPay-for-view channel Starz has announced that Gravity won’t be back for a second year. The show completed its run last week after just 10 episodes.

Gravity is a dramatic comedy that follows a group from an eccentric out-patient program for suicide survivors. Co-created by Eric Schaeffer and Jill Franklyn, the cast includes Schaeffer, Ivan Sergei, James Martinez, Krysten Ritter, Rachel Hunter, Robyn Cohen, Seth Numrich, and Ving Rhames.

Starz had high hopes for the series but it just never caught on. The season (now series) finale attracted an invisible 0.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 54,000 viewers. To no surprise, Starz has admitted that neither Gravity nor Party Down will be returning for another round.

In a statement, Stephan Shelanski, Starz’ executive VP of programming, said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Did you watch Gravity? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

23 January 31, 2011 at 3:12 am

i actually really loved this show, and fall within the coveted demographic. im sad to see it;s been cancelled, which is apparently not a sentiment everyone shares as it was just pegged #1 worst television show of the last decade by the onion http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-worst-new-series-of-2010,49356/

Briana January 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm

OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!! I loved gravity! TT~TT

Michelle January 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I really enjoyed this show! Along with Party Down, two shows I never missed. So disappointed to find out they won’t be back.

Gravity January 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

What a great shame cancelling one of the best US TV shows screened in 2010. Why, well it certainly wasn’t because of lack of quality writing or acting. In my opinion it was because probably because it never made it to more mainstream channels, also people probably did get a bit fed up with the fake cop. It had a great cast, and but maybe it was a little too off the wall to be truly mainstream, perhaps a bit too close to some peoples lives.

dumb-move January 3, 2011 at 6:32 am

Starz canceled Gravity. I canceled Starz.

Erin McCool January 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

dear all involved in gravity,

please consider bringing the show back! I LOVED IT! and at least need to know how it ended in some way!

they don’t make shows that good anymore!

Sincerely, Erin

Josh December 31, 2010 at 7:48 am

I loved both party down and gravity!!! I think the real reason it didn’t catch on was because it was aired on Friday night! Think about it, if you are trying do target a specific audience, air it on Sundays or Mondays! Both were well written and perfectly casted! Shows have been canceled before and brought back. New time slot and I think Starz has two winners!

Gabi December 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I loved this show! It definitely needs to come back on!

Joshua December 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

idiots…..killer show and i was pissed to say the least
that season 2 was not to be watched or started… fucking idiots.
Great show! I’M SORRY YOU HAVE NO BRAINS.

Amy December 28, 2010 at 12:22 am

I agree 100%! I only have basic cable and just watched the whole season on Netflix. I can’t believe there’s no more! This show has an honesty and a tenderness and a raw quality that caught me by the throat. I want more! Please, someone bring this show back!

Shari December 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Paying for television is so ridiculous and expensive anymore. I had never even heard of this show until I saw it on netflix yesterday and I looooove it! The clifhanger at the end of the season needs to be resolved! At least bring it back long enough to explain everything that happened in the finale!

Renee December 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

I LOVE this show. I am very disappointed its not returning. Like how can you just end it that way? At least make one episode to wrap it up :(

Erin December 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm

It must have been lack of advertising because I LOVE this show! Had I known it was on Starz, before it went to netflix, I would have ordered the channel. Bummer Starz decided to cancel. =(

MAGGIE!! December 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm

WOW That was like one of my favourite shows I HATE the way it ended it better be back soon my entire family watches it

rich December 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

What a shame this has been cancelled. My wife and I loved it. They really need to reconsider bringing it back. I mean come on how can the show end that way ???