Huge: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled; No Season Two

HugeThere weren’t big ratings for ABC Family’s Huge series so the cable channel has cancelled it after just 10 episodes.

Huge follows a group of seven teenagers who are sent to weight-loss camp with diverse results. The cast includes Nikki Blonsky, Hayley Hasselhoff, Raven Goodwin, Ari Stidham, Ashley Holliday, Harvey Guillen, Stefan Van Ray, Jacob Wysocki, Molly Tarlov, Gina Torres, Zander Eckhouse, Zoe Jarman, and Paul Dooley.

The show debuted to a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic last June with 2.53 million viewers. ABC Family bragged that it was their biggest series launch to date among women 18-49 and second largest in adults 18-49 and women 18-34.

Should Huge have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, the numbers started to fall in week two and slowly kept dropping off. By week eight, Huge hit a series low with a 0.5 rating in the demo and 1.34 million viewers. That represents an audience loss of about 45% since the debut. The last episode of the season attracted just a 0.6 rating and 1.45 million total viewers.

Now, according to Deadline, ABC Family has decided to cancel Huge. Unfortunately for the show’s loyal viewers, there won’t be a second season or a true series finale. The last episode aired on August 30th.

The decision to cancel Huge doesn’t really come as a surprise, especially if you look at the great success that ABC Family has been having with other new shows like Pretty Little Liars and Melissa & Joey.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Huge has been cancelled? Why do you think more people didn’t tune in?

Julie July 15, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Both my husband and I discovered it on demand. We enjoyed the ever changing interpersonal relationships . It was insightful to hear the reasoning (and unreasoning) of youth as they deal with the pains of real life challenge. I would have liked the drama limited to mainly 1 or 2 individuals per episode and take more time to develop it deeper rather than sprinkling everyone in every episode. Disappointed no ending finale, left kids we were rooting for in limbo.

tara April 3, 2014 at 6:25 pm

my tara how old I am 29 years old nowam adult now my faverit t.v. is all was huge I love this show a lot and I could wach this cuple times and I will tell you why I love this show this person name will did you know she is my sister she is my big sister on this show you to tell her she has a little sister is me I am to her I am her little Babby sister is me tara we are issackley a like we do we are same person we wailk like we tailk like sing like we dance a like and and we have same common and think like too so I am saying is I am looking out for my big sister will if some one have a plumble with her they will have a plumble with me if they treat her like that they will get it back and get will ian to hock up with each other and have no plumbles at all and all so I find dierey it is in lost and found bos at the out side office next to it and 3 of friends read her dierey too 2 people she does it like and her best friend becca did tooo just saying tell AMBER TO STAY A WAY FROM WILL IN THE ROOM IN THE DAY AND AT NIGHT ALL DAY TOO AND JUST SAY WILL HANG OUT WITH IAN FOR A HOLE DAY AND NIGHT ALL TIME TOO OKAY GOOD .

Andrew Wardle September 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’m a 53 year old on Night Shift at work and this programme has been aired during the week of my shift. My wife & I are not slim.

I too, think it deserves a second chance. Far too often is the Hollywood image of being near aneorexic has been the accepted form. (Devious Maides for example – as if house maides are some mega hottie – yeah right!)

This show shows that overweight is ok and that there are some talent actors/actresses who don’t perceive the Hollywood stereotypes. It’s made a nice change to see real people in real story lines. Sometimes in the search for audience numbers and advertising dollars, a good, decent show gets lost or given up on. Especially in America where there is a high number of obesity, this show is most realistic. Sadley a lot of people trying to live up to the “Hollywood Image” will be doomed to fail and at what social cost.

Please bring this show back, be nice to have either a proper ending or a continuing story line.

Yes, I really am from New Zealand!

Andrew Wardle September 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

PS: They canned Star Trek after 3 seasons and look what it has turned into. I don’t expect this show to reach those heights but it certainly is a lot better than the reality shows, talent shows and other popcorn garbage that seems to be the normal standard these days.

Anonymous July 13, 2013 at 4:44 am

For those who are interested in knowing more of the story, the show was based off of a book by Sasha Paley by the same title :)

Thai Suparath June 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Omg but I love that show plus I still want to know more about George and Amber!!!!

Denise A January 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I think, this show deserve a second chance and return, because i really enjoy it :D

Livv December 14, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I think it’s stupid they didn’t alteast give a proper ending for the people that actually liked the show… It’s frustrating because I don’t even know how it finishes… it just stopped.

Sadie Pearson August 9, 2012 at 6:18 am

I loved that show and I think they sould bring it back!

- Sadie, 13 years old

toma aurora May 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love Huge, to! I am very surprised that thei close this production. I am from Romania and here the movie is really popular. :( I hope the producers will change their mind in future!

bianca sears March 12, 2012 at 6:21 am

i really dont think its fair to not give the fans that did watch “a season 2″ even if its a couple episodes just to end the show. i really loved watching huge an im very disappointed in ABC family for not making a couple more episodes to finish off the show.

Corinne February 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I thought Huge was a fantastic show (and I’m 26!) I have a two yr old, and I also liked their approach to individuality and also the pressures of sex, etc. My interests have changed greatly since having a baby… so Pretty Little Liars is NOT something I’d want my daughter to see in the future… really? You cancel a wholesome show and leave a show full of slutty teens to flare up and further popularize teens to be seductive liars? Great job…. I’m sure you are really thinking this one through.

Wendy July 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Completely Agree!

tamreca cochran February 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm

i completely agree!!! I really like the show HUGE! I felt it put the spot light on the big fabulous people in the world!!!

Luna Martinez December 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I really enjoyed watching Huge. I have watched the series twice and I still want more. As a minority in the U.S. it is hard to find a show that is representative of your ethnicity. I love the fact that the show was diverse in terms of age, race, gender, religion, etc. Living in a society where pregnant teens are glorified is tough. There is a lot of pressure for girls to have sex. So please, to whom it may concern, read these comments and see that a show like Huge can change the social hierarchy in American society by showing the positive attributes of individuals. And this is coming from a 15 year old feminist. : )