Merlin: Syfy Renews BBC TV Show for Season Three

MerlinIt’s the news that fans of Merlin have been waiting for. Syfy isn’t repeating NBC’s decision to cancel Merlin after one season.

Like Smallville, Merlin presents a new look at the younger days of a legendary fictional character. The series stars Colin Morgan, Angel Coulby, Bradley James, Katie McGrath, Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt.

As you may recall, NBC ran the first season of the BBC program last summer. The ratings weren’t very good so they cancelled Merlin. Fortunately, the program moved to another NBC-Universal company for season two.

Season two of the fantasy series ran on Syfy from April until early July and attracted an average of 1.7 million viewers. That’s good enough for the cable channel to want to renew the show for season three.

Of the news, Merlin creator/executive producer Johnny Capps said, “We are thrilled that Syfy will be broadcasting the third series of Merlin… The upcoming season will add an exciting new twist to Merlin’s ongoing struggle to protect Prince Arthur, as well as thrilling audiences with bigger and bolder action sequences, stunning CGI monsters, mysterious villains and comic fun for all the family.”

The BBC had already ordered a third season of 13 episodes last December. Filming reportedly got underway in Wales in March.

There are no specific dates yet but it’s expected that season three of Merlin will begin airing in the UK in the latter part of 2010 and pop up on Syfy in early 2011. No word on the release of season two on DVD.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Merlin is returning to Syfy for season three?

Anne January 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I LOVE this show, and have been waiting eagerly for the new season! I’m looking forward to collecting this series, so PLEASE PLEASE keep it on!!!! This show depicts the Merlin that I grew up reading in school, “The Once and Future King” and a mix from the movie, “Excalibur”…REAL HONEST literature brought to the stage! A TRUE craft!!!! Keep up the great work, Cast of Merlin! Well done!

Joy January 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I literally CAN NOT WAIT until this Friday night to see the 1st episode of season 3!!! I’ve always loved the Arthurian legends – and this new spin on things, ie. showing Merlin and Arthur and Gwen and Morgana as young people before they were “famous” works just fine for me! Also, there is some really superb acting on the show, esp. in season 2. check out Anthony Head and Bradley James – their craft is brilliant!

donna January 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for another season of MERLIN.

ricky dean December 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm

cant wait

JimZ December 20, 2010 at 11:28 am

So happy it’s back on. Can’t wait for season 3 to show. Why can’t they have the show on when it first comes out? Why do they wait?

Natalie December 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm

we love merlin

Dan Elliott December 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Yep, I have enjoyed the series a lot. However it takes liberties with the timeline of the original story of Merlin. It has taken Merlin a long time, however to come into his self awareness. I think that might have been the slow-start that NBC missed and SyFi was able to look past. This third season looks promising.

robert booher December 7, 2010 at 11:27 pm

very glad to have merlin comeing back.one of better shows. thanks

MerlinFan December 5, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Wooohhh found out that Merlin actually plays in the U.S. But i’m already done with season 3, as of today. I’m anxiously waiting for season 4. I usually keep up with the UK by watching it online. Season 3 is by far my favorite season. Fans of Merlin who have not scene it yet in America, you won’t be disappointed.

ChezQueen December 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Our entire family cannot wait for season3 of Merlin. We love this show!!!!

Dr.WHO December 3, 2010 at 6:25 am

Sorry to be the one to tell you Former Devil Doc, but SGU is the shit and Dr. Who is a good show also. Go online and check some sites out and you will see that SGU and Dr. Who has a big fan base.

Former Devil Doc December 2, 2010 at 3:21 am

I am not surprised SyFy is bringing back Merlin; this network only shows the worst shows around. Just look at the shows it offers; SGU, “Professional” wrestling, an auction show, etc. The only time they show anything good is when they show a non-SyFy channel movie (and most of these are terrible) or an episode of Dr. Who

Juanita November 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I can’t wait. Any word yet on when it might return?

admin November 24, 2010 at 4:49 am

@Juanita: 1/7/11

Stephen November 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

Great Show I look forward to it.

dragonlady November 17, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I love this show!!! I cannot wait!